Home

EA Still Owns the NFL License Exclusively

This is a discussion on EA Still Owns the NFL License Exclusively within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare
Closed Thread

Old 06-15-2014, 12:36 PM   #241
Banned

OVR: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerros
Simple formula for 2k to get back into making football games. Make a fully customizable game with realistic graphics. You can get around the license issue by allowing gamers to re-create the NFL through total customization. Add in full player editing such as skin tones, hairstyles and facial features along with the other stuff such as weight, height and stats and you're set. This would allow the gamer to re-create a player's likness. Facial scans wouldn't matter because football players are in the helmets most of the time anyway. But FULL customization like BackBreaker and you have a brand new NFL game without the license. Plain and simple, no more excuses. I have an extensive write up about this with a ton of features that would make this game potenitally revolutionary. We all know they have the graphics engine. Either they want to make a game or they just no longer care. But there's really no excuse in my eyes. Move on, EA has the license, time for 2k to exploit the customization loophole and give us a game.
ummm where do you have this information? Plus for comparison between Madden and 2K football, all you have to look at is the QB throwing motion. Then you will see which game is more fluid. Also you can look at Interaction. 2k Blows Madden anything out of the park. Not an opinion. See for yourself.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-15-2014, 12:45 PM   #242
Stop The GOAT Talk

SageInfinite's Arena

OVR: 40
Re: EA Still Owns the NFL License Exclusively

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo COP
Sorry about that. I didn't realize you were the same person I was having the back and forth with before (it was late and I was skimming through).

All I can say is, this is kind of my area of expertise. So it's frustrating when people come in throwing out statements of this and that when they are clearly seeing it through the eye of the consumers. I'm not saying that that is necessarily a bad thing, but if you flip the tables and put yourself on the business side of it it is very clear to see why EA did what they did. I can understand being mad about it all as a consumer (like I said I now hate Madden because it is so terrible IMO) but you can't villainize EA when they did the most logical thing they possibly could have done.

Maybe they should've followed up the licensing agreement with hiring the entire 2K crew to work on Madden
No problem man. I personally never said the move was a bad business move. It was a power "checkmate" type move that only companies with resources like EA could make. Totally understand it.

Coming onto this site as strictly a gamer, I can only speak with passion from that perspective. I just know how I think as a person. Maybe I would be successful running EA, maybe I'd be fired the first day, lol, who knows.

I would have so much more respect for EA as a gamer had they tried to pacify the fans who they just newly acquired through the licensing by making a game that was more of a hybrid and as you said, taking on some of 2k's staff if they wanted to continue to work on an NFL game, to give us something to make us totally forget 2k football ever existed.

As a business minded man, they don't have to do anything but stay in business and continue to increase revenue and make the money they spent acquiring the license pay off. Basically just stay at the top like they've been.

Again EA/Tiburon is marketing this game as a sim now, so hopefully in the near future we won't be having any conversations like this, we'll all be too busy playing the awesome game known as Madden, but we'll see.

SageInfinite Bandcamp
https://sageinfinite.bandcamp.com/album/interminable
https://soundcloud.com/sageinfinite
Hidden Language Video Feat. Grandmilly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf5nW4rGTFM

#makethemaddenforumgreatagain
Old 06-15-2014, 01:17 PM   #243
MVP

StefJoeHalt's Arena

Let's all be honest on many levels everyone realizes for the most part that Madden has not done as good of a job we all wanted..being I have NO background in programming at all..it appears the "base gameplay" code (or whatever it's called) is flawed..it appears that when they try and fix it something else breaks..again basic terms..the easiest way for me to compare (understand it) the whole video football game situation is this...Madden is the first girl friend i had..then new girl moves into town (2k) and the "grass was green on other side" that "girlfriend" had flaws just like the first but different flaws..then that girlfriend (2k) left and I had to go back to first girlfriend (Madden)..then while at the bar one night I met this new girl (Backbreaker)..she appeared hot but as soon as the lights turned on in the morning I realize I drink to much meeting Backbreaker and she was ugly as sin..then back to Madden I went..Madden this year was nice enough to "workout" and get this "smoking hot" new body..however when Madden opens her mouth she is dumb as "rocks"..but like woman, Madden has the power lol..and I'm stuck with good looking Madden but god she (Madden) makes me want to slam my head against the wall

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rule #1: Never leave a fellow Crasher behind. Crashers take care of their own.
Rule #2: Never use your real name.
Rule #15: Fight the urge to tell the truth.
Rule #30: Know the playbook so you can call an audible.
Twitter: @318TA621
Old 06-15-2014, 02:29 PM   #244
MVP

OhMrHanky's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by StefJoeHalt
Let's all be honest on many levels everyone realizes for the most part that Madden has not done as good of a job we all wanted..being I have NO background in programming at all..it appears the "base gameplay" code (or whatever it's called) is flawed..it appears that when they try and fix it something else breaks..again basic terms..the easiest way for me to compare (understand it) the whole video football game situation is this...Madden is the first girl friend i had..then new girl moves into town (2k) and the "grass was green on other side" that "girlfriend" had flaws just like the first but different flaws..then that girlfriend (2k) left and I had to go back to first girlfriend (Madden)..then while at the bar one night I met this new girl (Backbreaker)..she appeared hot but as soon as the lights turned on in the morning I realize I drink to much meeting Backbreaker and she was ugly as sin..then back to Madden I went..Madden this year was nice enough to "workout" and get this "smoking hot" new body..however when Madden opens her mouth she is dumb as "rocks"..but like woman, Madden has the power lol..and I'm stuck with good looking Madden but god she (Madden) makes me want to slam my head against the wall

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah, that actually sums it up quite nicely.
Old 06-15-2014, 03:03 PM   #245
Banned

KingofATL's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmorg
2k sports is a subsidiary of a company with some pretty deep pockets themselves. It's not some operation run out of some guys garage.
I hear you but...

You have to understand 2K Sports has a track record of cancelled & failed games. Just look at their line up. They tried a boxing game and it failed miserably. NHL 2K couldn't compete with the success of EA's NHL game and was cancelled. MLB 2K was just cancelled. All-Pro Football was ok but they never went forward with that either. The only other tittles that sees some success from 2K sports is NBA, WWE & Top Spin and even that is a mixed bag because most folks are not into tennis or wrestling like that.

My point is EA is just getting more money in the end. They have all the games out. Good or bad they make games. They don't cancel a lot of their games like 2K does. And in the end when it comes to sales that is what counts. It's all about making money. You can't make money if you don't have games out, right?

And I am no EA fanboy. I feel the same was a lot of folks feel. But the truth is they have more resources to make games. The most important part of making these games is the licensing. The ability to use every players name and likeness and all of the things that we see on tv in real life. That stuff cost money. And just like with the NFL & NCAA situation, those leagues probably want a lot of money to use their stuff and the bottom line is EA has it and 2K obviously can't match or is not willing to match what EA is paying. That's the bottom line here. If 2K was willing to match or beat what EA is paying then we would definitely see a 2K football game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-15-2014, 05:36 PM   #246
Banned

Cre8's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMChrisS
...However, the biggest news to come out of the 2K camp at E3 might have been Ronnie2K confirming that not only was 2K not working on a football game...
Tells me that there is no reason to hope for any 2K Football - ever.
Old 06-15-2014, 06:35 PM   #247
#HTownTakeover #YWCF

coogrfan's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanzsomehanz
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madden_NFL_2005

An exert fron the Reception article

"
ESPN NFL 2K5 was the first in the 2K series priced at $19.99 the day it shipped, much lower than market leader Madden NFL at $49.99. This greatly reduced Madden sales that year; one EA Sports developer recalled that "[i]t scared the hell out of us".[11] EA reduced Madden NFL 2005's price to $29.95. In December 2004 EA Sports acquired an exclusive rights agreement with the NFL and NFLPA to be the sole creator of NFL video games."
For what it's worth, according to vgchartz:

Madden NFL 2004 (North America) PS2 4.26 million units + XB 1.02 million units = 5.28 million units.

ESPN NFL Football (North America) PS2 .27 million units + XB .27 million units = .54 million units.

Madden NFL 2005 (North America) PS2 4.18 million units + XB 1.61 million units = 5.79 million units.

ESPN NFL 2k5 (North America) PS2 2.15 million units + XB .1.54 million units = 3.69 million units.
Old 06-15-2014, 06:52 PM   #248
MVP

OVR: 3
I honestly doubt I'll play another football game in what's remaining of my "gaming life". I always give Madden a chance but I admit a certain amount of bitterness. Wrongly placed bitterness but it's there.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »