Home

Madden NFL 15 Trailer - See The Transformation This June, Releases on August 26th

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 15 Trailer - See The Transformation This June, Releases on August 26th within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 05-18-2014, 05:33 PM   #177
MVP

reverend_heat's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: Madden NFL 15 Trailer - See The Transformation This June, Releases on August 26th

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaceMask
when you catch a pass in the flat and the receiver takes a bunch of unnecessary tap-dancing steps rather than just turning the ball upfield. I can't tell you how many would-be first downs or sure TD's were killed because of that problem. Granted, in real life you're going to need to collect yourself, but not to the degree that "True Step" exaggerates.
This this this, absolutely has got to be fixed, momentum is one thing, not being able to stop your controlled player with 5 yards of room before the sideline is ridiculous.
Old 05-18-2014, 06:02 PM   #178
Stop The GOAT Talk

SageInfinite's Arena

OVR: 40
Re: Madden NFL 15 Trailer - See The Transformation This June, Releases on August 26th

It absolutely does help to not hold turbo/boost, but it needs to be tweaked heavily. Biggest problem to me is the base layer of animation/locomotion is a twitchy mess. No matter what they do, anything on top of that will not work for realism. Hopefully this transformation includes a replacement they've been working on, on the side.

SageInfinite Bandcamp
https://sageinfinite.bandcamp.com/album/interminable
https://soundcloud.com/sageinfinite
Hidden Language Video Feat. Grandmilly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf5nW4rGTFM

#makethemaddenforumgreatagain
Old 05-18-2014, 06:58 PM   #179
Forever A Legend

24's Arena

OVR: 22

One thing that would make me so happy is if instead of the blank black faces that we get when a player is created, we could get a cyber face similar to what The Show does. Would Honestly make my day.

Old 05-18-2014, 10:38 PM   #180
MVP

hanzsomehanz's Arena

OVR: 4

I said in an earlier post that one of my simple hopes is to see strong side and weak side defenders play the appropriate side albeit this still seems like im reachig for the stars when it comes to what Madden actually delivers.

Another simple facet of football that I would like to see delivered in Madden is stunts.

While a stunt can be complex re; how it is carried out in real life: its success is limited in Madden due to an inefficient level of acceleration from blitzers. The underlying issue though is the suction blocking.

Suction blocking needs to go and in its place needs to be an organic trench that actually puts stress on an olinemans footwork.

Olinemen react at supersonic speeds w little to no impact on footwork. It also does not help that defenders will trip and fall but olineman glide and warp thru bodies with no impedence to their pursuit path despite the obstacles in their way.

These are the Devs efforts to give the cpu and ****** users more time in the pocket but it is also the bane of the pass rush d. This inept pass rush game that is overriden by hyperactive psychic olinemen reactions is what compels one to simply do away w a basic pass rush and go max coverage.

Now EA has taken the head off to cure the headache (nanos) and created another big ache in that same problem area.

I simply wish for balance and less polarizing extremes. Let the blitz work as it should and have the user adjust. There is a pocket presence mechanic that is being wasted.

Intelligence

Are we still going to have zone defenders covering the grass or air? DBs covering empty flat zones instead of extending their coverage to a threatened area like an olineman would?

You could send 1 WR against 8 defenders and he would still beat zone. Defenders mindlessly go ti their assigned zones regardless of seeing that the one threat that was there is no longer there.

This insanely dumbed down defensive AI needs to go. If olinemen show they can calculate pre snap and on the fly go to the area of threat: so can the D - they just need to be given the human intelligence to do so at a pro level of effort.

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Tapatalk
Old 05-19-2014, 02:38 AM   #181
Banned

OVR: 28

All you ever need to know about the developers of this game was stated by themselves when Madden 13 was released. Being able to throw the football OVER a defender was actually touted as an accomplishment in the game. Imagine not being able to hit the cutoff man in a baseball game or throw a bounce pass in an NBA game. This is what was actually touted as an "advancement" for this game. Not to mention, it STILL has issues. If you've had a chance to play the Show, you will realize how incredibly inept the development strategy for Madden is. That game has an UNBELIEVABLE amount of customization and depth to it. It's ridiculous. You really don't realize how far behind the rest of the sports genre madden actually is until you start to venture out into these other games. I don't follow baseball like I used to, but after seeing that game and spending some time watching my friends play, I am actually considering the possibility of getting a PS4 next year just for that game. It's that good. It also destroys this notion that the Tiburon folks seem to follow religiously, that the game needs to be dumbed down to an arcade game to sell. They have no clue. The only hope for football is if 2k can possibly return. The ability level of the people working on this game is not there. With the potential return of another football game, more will be accomplished in one year of development than has been done in madden in the last 10 years.

A lot of great posts are in here, but they are all pipe dreams. Madden is the joke of the sports genre, and I hope the developers know that and they rectify it. There are no more chances to be given, however. We've gone 10 years and have a silly game. Paper folding bodies, no penalties, poor ball physics, twitchy player movement, bugs everywhere, simplified-stripped career mode with little depth or actual NFL elements. Injury system, roster management, coaching staff management, personnel, etc. is all silly and pathetic compared to what else is out there in other sports games and even what was done back in 2004 for football (madden and other games).

It's all very sad and depressing. I will always continue to hold out hope that as a die hard football fan, I can get a realistic, simulation game that actually blows me away. Nothing in Madden blows you away. Instead, you find yourself saying, "are you serious?", "what the hell was he doing there?", etc. etc. Especially after seeing the same ridiculous spin and fall forward for 5 yards animation that the RBs do about 20 times a game, even when their momentum and the laws of physics say otherwise.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-19-2014, 10:25 AM   #182
Banned

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantBlue76
All you ever need to know about the developers of this game was stated by themselves when Madden 13 was released. Being able to throw the football OVER a defender was actually touted as an accomplishment in the game. Imagine not being able to hit the cutoff man in a baseball game or throw a bounce pass in an NBA game. This is what was actually touted as an "advancement" for this game. Not to mention, it STILL has issues. If you've had a chance to play the Show, you will realize how incredibly inept the development strategy for Madden is.
I hate Baseball, and I mean HATE it. But I love MLB The Show. How does that happen? Because when a game is that well done it can't be denied. The game is amazing.

Comparing MLB The Show's development progress to Madden's is like comparing the modern Homosapien to the Pre-Historic Man dragging his knuckles and still trying to walk upright.

Quote:
We've gone 10 years and have a silly game. Paper folding bodies...
Here is Aaron Rubber, er, I mean Rodgers @ 9:16 of this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGXQ...jtqjF-fb02zD3w

Quote:
It's all very sad and depressing. I will always continue to hold out hope that as a die hard football fan, I can get a realistic, simulation game that actually blows me away. Nothing in Madden blows you away. Instead, you find yourself saying, "are you serious?", "what the hell was he doing there?", etc. etc. Especially after seeing the same ridiculous spin and fall forward for 5 yards animation that the RBs do about 20 times a game, even when their momentum and the laws of physics say otherwise.
Exactly, man. I don't understand what all this spinning around is supposed to be. Players in this game get hit and start barrel rolling, even during tackles where clearly the guy should just go down clean. There is just too much extra movement where it shouldn't be.

And then sometimes a guy will get hit from the side or behind, but they'll go down so immediately that it's like it skips a ton of frames and they're suddenly down. This is a deficiency you commonly see in indie-level games and I give that a pass, but at the AAA level?

I also don't understand why ball carriers get blown up so much in this game, it's too arcade in that regard. Even players who in real life have never been seen getting blown up ever, get blown up in Madden easily and constantly. If players got blown up that much in real life, there wouldn't be an injury report after every game, there'd be an obituary roll.
Old 05-19-2014, 12:52 PM   #183
Banned

OVR: 7

@GiantBlue76 its still damn near impossible to throw over a defender. That has been one of my biggest gripes for years

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
Old 05-19-2014, 02:58 PM   #184
Hoos Rising

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

With respect to comparisons between Madden NFL and The Show with respect to strategic depth - it's my opinion that the average professional baseball fan (and also the average professional basketball fan) is by-and-large more intelligent with respect to the strategies of the sport than the average football fan. As such there's a profound difference in the target audience from where I sit.

The average football fan doesn't understand things like one-gap vs two-gap defensive assignments, motion TE vs a Y tight end, split end vs flanker, etc. etc. I'm not sure the average NFL fan is even aware of these things as concepts because the first-party NFL media and ESPN do not do a great job teaching how the game is played strategically, beyond a 4-3 front vs a 3-4 front (and even then these aren't explained very well either). There's no explanation as to how Wade Phillips' 3-4 is different from that of Dom Capers or Dick LeBeau. That Madden NFL is regarded as the premier football teaching tool for the masses - even though it is missing a good number of football fundamentals - is demonstrative of how greatly the NFL and ESPN have failed in this regard.

Further expanding on that, the NFL TV broadcast camera doesn't even show the play developing down the field during the live action. This is unlike basketball - which shows all ten players on the floor in the half court offense and thus things like pick-and-roll, pick-and-pop, off-ball screens, elevator screens, hedging screens, etc. must be explained because the user can see them - or baseball - where the audience can see the movement of the pitch thrown, and there's enough dead time between live ball moments to show the positions of the runners, what batter is on deck, and so on, so different types of pitches and offensive strategies (hit-and-run, sacrifice bunt, base-stealing strategies, infield alignments, etc.) must be explained. For baseball in particular, this doesn't even begin to account for that there are only eight possible configurations of runners, the game is on the pre-play level strategically simpler. By contrast, since the NFL broadcast by-and-large never shows the live downfield action and is always focused on the quarterback until he throws the ball, so a lot of defensive nuance in particular is left unexplained. The market for the "all-22" camera views offered by NFL's online services only exists because there's a segment of hardcore fans not satisfied by the baseline coverage of the sport the NFL offers.

Basically, I'm arguing that the NFL dumbs down its own product to maximize its target audience. As such, Madden NFL must be dumbed down by Tiburon to capture that dumbed-down target audience - as well as the even more general video game buying audience more interested in the Call of Duty and Battlefields of the world who may not even watch football (these games which EA Sports views as Madden's direct competition nowadays) - so said audience can reasonably understand how to play Madden the video game and succeed at it. As realistic as The Show is, no version of it has cracked 1 million units sold per VGChartz; the accuracy of that source notwithstanding, Madden sells multi-millions compared to The Show's 1 million (generous). The Show doesn't sell enough for anything it does to move the needle at EA Tiburon in any manner.

It's unfortunate for 90% of the population of this message board (if not more) which generally has more of a clue as to what's going on in a given football game beyond how many points their fantasy team's players have accumulated in a given week. Even having said all of the above, however, EA Tiburon could and indeed should take some initiative in progressing their game strategically, to progress Madden NFL as a game and a football teaching tool. I hope they do so, personally, because that's what it is going to take to keep me interested in the series.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »