Home

Madden NFL 15 Trailer - See The Transformation This June, Releases on August 26th

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 15 Trailer - See The Transformation This June, Releases on August 26th within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 05-02-2014, 12:40 PM   #153
Pro

Trick13's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Madden NFL 15 Trailer - See The Transformation This June, Releases on August 26th

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaceMask
Big difference is, in the U.S. soccer is played all over the country with a lot of Kids leagues, Junior High systems, High School systems, Collegiate systems, and a few pro leagues. I'd be surprised if American football has even 1/10th the level of participation in Britain as Soccer has in America.

The fact that soccer actually has that much penetration in the U.S. market makes it strange to me that the sport isn't more popular at the pro level here in the U.S.

Soccer is boring. It is like hockey without the fist fights - zero point. Not enough scoring, not enough meaningful action for a casual fan.
In football and basketball - America's two top sports - there is constant action - basketball has tons of scoring and football has hitting on every play.

Soccer is a good sport for kids - non-contact and tons of cardio, but as an adult sports fan I am not interested. Personally, I would love to see soccer banned from TV. It is like watching paint dry. Hockey, to me is fairly boring too, but at least hockey has checking and the occasional glove dropping action. I would rather watch lacrosse, women's volleyball (more for the scenery) heck I would rather watch women's college softball than soccer.

You may disagree with my sentiments, and I don't begrudge anyone of their opinion, but that is how many Americans view soccer.
Old 05-02-2014, 12:59 PM   #154
Banned

Re: Madden NFL 15 Trailer - See The Transformation This June, Releases on August 26th

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trick13
Soccer is boring.

*snip*

You may disagree with my sentiments, and I don't begrudge anyone of their opinion, but that is how many Americans view soccer.
I actually agree 100%. But then again, I find every sport boring except for football, so I'm probably not the best judge on that end.
Old 05-02-2014, 01:52 PM   #155
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Eh, to me, watching golf is boring as watching paint dry.

Our son plays soccer at the collegiate level, so, no, soccer isn't boring to us and we enjoy watching on tv.

Different strokes....................
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-02-2014, 05:43 PM   #156
Pro

Trick13's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
Eh, to me, watching golf is boring as watching paint dry.

Our son plays soccer at the collegiate level, so, no, soccer isn't boring to us and we enjoy watching on tv.

Different strokes....................

Fair enough, but I wonder if you did not have that vested interest (your son plays the game) would it interest you at all? Not that it matters really. Great thing about life is the differences, so at this point I am just asking because of my curiosity rather than attempting any counter point.
Old 05-03-2014, 02:44 AM   #157
Rookie

Soprano00's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Fair enough, but I wonder if you did not have that vested interest (your son plays the game) would it interest you at all? Not that it matters really. Great thing about life is the differences, so at this point I am just asking because of my curiosity rather than attempting any counter point.
I don't get your point: soccer is a game which makes hundreds of millions of people around the world watch it with passion and emotion, and not because they have a son playing it I'm European and play American Football in real life (yes: here in Europe) but I can see the beauty of both sports. American Football is much less dinamic if you analyze it, how much time in a game the ball is in movement ? 5 minutes maximum ? However I agree that many games of soccer may seem boring because there are no scores, but a person liking the game still may appreciate the strategic side of it, how a defense is able to stop a very powerful offense, for example.
On the other side an "All American" sport which for me is really boring to watch is baseball
Old 05-03-2014, 07:36 AM   #158
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
I would like to believe, so, yes. All three of our kids played soccer at one level or another. We didn't have soccer around us where I grew up. Heck, we've met other soccer parents throughout the years who we are still friends with. I doubt we ever meet these people without crossing paths with soccer.

I appreciate not growing up with something and learning about it later in life.

So, once we learned how the game was played and the different styles of play, we started to appreciate the game more plus the friendships our children and the parents endured and still have to this day.
Old 05-03-2014, 01:31 PM   #159
Pro

Trick13's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soprano00
I don't get your point: soccer is a game which makes hundreds of millions of people around the world watch it with passion and emotion, and not because they have a son playing it I'm European and play American Football in real life (yes: here in Europe) but I can see the beauty of both sports. American Football is much less dinamic if you analyze it, how much time in a game the ball is in movement ? 5 minutes maximum ? However I agree that many games of soccer may seem boring because there are no scores, but a person liking the game still may appreciate the strategic side of it, how a defense is able to stop a very powerful offense, for example.
On the other side an "All American" sport which for me is really boring to watch is baseball

Look, I was not "attacking soccer". Just giving my opinion, which in my travels across the US (I have been in all 50 states and lived for 3 months or more in 20 of them) is commonplace within American society. I am not claiming to be an expert, just articulating my perspective and the ones I have been privy to.

I have played the game - many moons ago as a child in the Mesa, AZ area. I understand the basics and it is still boring to me, especially to watch. I imagine it is a bit like baseball which is dreadful on TV, and I mean absolutely dreadful. You just watch the pitcher and hitter all game long. You rarely see the defensive shifts, the varying depths of the outfielders - I hate the way baseball is broadcast on TV. That being said, I love to play baseball, or rec league softball (I am getting old). And I do enjoy going to baseball games, despite the fact that I am not a "student of the game" at all. I am not one of those guys who can tell you who is leading the league in BA, or Ks, or saves. The baseball strike that occurred when I was in JR High school turned me off the pro game as a "follower" of the sport.

Soccer on the other hand, I don't enjoy - at all. It is fairly simple. I don't like it. I am not trying to convince anyone else to not like it, I just don't. The fact that millions of people like it is irrelevant to me. I have never been influenced much by outside opinions, even though I am smart enough to respect them and see their value.

Roadman, I hope you realize I meant no disrespect to you or yours. I was just curious if you felt that your son playing was the largest factor in your appreciation for the game. And their was no reason behind the question - I am just naturally curious. If I offended anyone, I apologize - truly.

Last edited by Trick13; 05-03-2014 at 01:33 PM.
Old 05-03-2014, 01:36 PM   #160
Tecmo Super Bowl = GOAT

charter04's Arena

OVR: 21

Boy O Boy. I thought this was the Madden Trailer thread. Lol not sure were this is going. Maybe you guys should start a general sports discussion thread.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »