Home

More Madden NFL 15 Details Revealed

This is a discussion on More Madden NFL 15 Details Revealed within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 04-30-2014, 07:26 AM   #89
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: More Madden NFL 15 Details Revealed

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaceMask
Some aspects of the idea I like, some I don't. While I'm a big fan of the "tap" in 2K Football, I was never a fan of the idea of the "charge up" system. Some of the running mechanics in Madden are basically a rendition of that concept; saving up power for an upcoming collision or move. I just can't approve of it. With the stumble recovery, I wish it was moved to another button.

As for holding trigger for turbo, I hate that too. We're not driving a race car. I think you can set speed to be automatic (?), but still. The reason I prefer the tap for these things is because it feels like the realest representation of performing running steps or breaking a tackle that you can achieve with a basic controller. Football is an aggressive game, and being forced to be passive in an action moment like running as fast as you can, just kills the immersion.
In 2K8, charging a move I looked at as bracing for the hit. I love the tap/hold concept. I would be really happy to see this in Madden.
Old 04-30-2014, 10:12 AM   #90
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaceMask
Some aspects of the idea I like, some I don't. While I'm a big fan of the "tap" in 2K Football, I was never a fan of the idea of the "charge up" system. Some of the running mechanics in Madden are basically a rendition of that concept; saving up power for an upcoming collision or move. I just can't approve of it. With the stumble recovery, I wish it was moved to another button.

As for holding trigger for turbo, I hate that too. We're not driving a race car. I think you can set speed to be automatic (?), but still. The reason I prefer the tap for these things is because it feels like the realest representation of performing running steps or breaking a tackle that you can achieve with a basic controller. Football is an aggressive game, and being forced to be passive in an action moment like running as fast as you can, just kills the immersion.
I understand how you feel, but it's different for me. I've never liked tap, tap, tap, from the get go. I just don't feel you need to be a thumb jockey to increase speed, hitting, power-ups ,etc....

That's just me, though.

Doesn't mean I enjoy holding up on the trigger, either.
Old 04-30-2014, 10:57 AM   #91
Stop The GOAT Talk

SageInfinite's Arena

OVR: 40

Tapping for turbo I'm not a huge fan of, but tapping to break the tackle I enjoy. I just don't like the randomness of how you break tackles in Madden.

SageInfinite Bandcamp
https://sageinfinite.bandcamp.com/album/interminable
https://soundcloud.com/sageinfinite
Hidden Language Video Feat. Grandmilly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf5nW4rGTFM

#makethemaddenforumgreatagain
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-30-2014, 11:28 AM   #92
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
I understand how you feel, but it's different for me. I've never liked tap, tap, tap, from the get go. I just don't feel you need to be a thumb jockey to increase speed, hitting, power-ups ,etc....

That's just me, though.

Doesn't mean I enjoy holding up on the trigger, either.
I never liked the hitting and power-up part of it either, the running speed & tackle-breaking part I liked.

But I'd like to see options for this sort of thing so people can choose how they want it to work on their end. Tap for some users, hold trigger for other users.
Old 04-30-2014, 12:51 PM   #93
Hoos Rising

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trick13
The placement of sprint/acceleration on a/x, and the PS2 control layout in general, was far more intuitive and inherently more realistic. It forced you to "let off sprint" to perform moves requiring "footwork" - the change of direction or "quick juke" was more of a "footplant" than anything we have seen since. Yes the locomotion on PS2 left some serious desire for improvement, but zig zag running continues even within M25.
I don't see how mapping sprint to A is any more intuitive than mapping it to the right trigger, personally. Mapping the sprint command to an analog-sensitive controller mapping (pressure on the trigger) vs a boolean controller mapping (button on / off, the face buttons are not pressure-sensitive) allows for a finer degree of control because the user then has fine control over his forward rate of movement, similar to how someone playing a simulation racing game might feather the throttle of his car around a particularly tricky series of corners.

Quote:
Everything that was put into "precision modifier" could have, and should have, been accomplished utilizing the ratings of the ball carrier, the timing of the move, and the input into the controller
This I agree with. I found myself ignoring the precision modifier after about the first month of playing the game, with the exception of bracing for trucking. I found the timing of the mechanic was particularly tricky, I thought that using the left trigger in addition to a face button was cumbersome, and finally the game rarely provided appropriate feedback as to whether I was performing the action correctly; in the case of failure (i.e. the tackler wins the ratings check), using the precision modifier felt no different to me from just ignoring the precision modifier. To me this is a far better example of an unintuitive mechanic.
Old 04-30-2014, 03:43 PM   #94
Pro

Trick13's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
I don't see how mapping sprint to A is any more intuitive than mapping it to the right trigger, personally. Mapping the sprint command to an analog-sensitive controller mapping (pressure on the trigger) vs a boolean controller mapping (button on / off, the face buttons are not pressure-sensitive) allows for a finer degree of control because the user then has fine control over his forward rate of movement, similar to how someone playing a simulation racing game might feather the throttle of his car around a particularly tricky series of corners.

This I agree with. I found myself ignoring the precision modifier after about the first month of playing the game, with the exception of bracing for trucking. I found the timing of the mechanic was particularly tricky, I thought that using the left trigger in addition to a face button was cumbersome, and finally the game rarely provided appropriate feedback as to whether I was performing the action correctly; in the case of failure (i.e. the tackler wins the ratings check), using the precision modifier felt no different to me from just ignoring the precision modifier. To me this is a far better example of an unintuitive mechanic.

Mapping it to A/X wasn't the intuitive part - the directional cut/juke moves and directional stiff arms/swats/strip/pass rush moves was the intuitive part - and they don't need to be "pressure sensitive" clearly as various passing trajectories are available based on how long you hold the button. So yes the controller and game interface well enough for you to lob, arch, or bullet passes.

The trigger buttons analog functionality (within Madden) is questionable at best. I would much rather see the left stick be utilized for variable speed up until the point where you want kick into all out sprint - in which case a button or trigger makes no difference.

The larger, more authentic or realistic point of having X/A be "sprint" vs a trigger is that you have to release A/X in order to perform moves that in real life require even the greatest athletes to "do footwork". As it stands now, with the trigger sprint, we are forced to rely on EA/Tiburon programmers to get footwork right - and they rarely do.

Variable speed in Madden is virtually non-existent at this point - you can't really walk around on defense pre-snap and it aggravates the heck out of me. The players seeming have 3 speeds; run, sprint, and stop.

The PS2 layout was simply more intuitive all around and had the built in benefit of forcing users to release sprint for moves that logically require it...
Old 04-30-2014, 04:04 PM   #95
Madden Dev Team

DeuceDouglas's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trick13
The larger, more authentic or realistic point of having X/A be "sprint" vs a trigger is that you have to release A/X in order to perform moves that in real life require even the greatest athletes to "do footwork".
Wasn't the only real move that would make you release A the spin move? And the stiff arm? X was dive, Y was hurdle and jukes were on the triggers. IIRC, stiff arm was the black button.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-30-2014, 04:39 PM   #96
Stop The GOAT Talk

SageInfinite's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceDouglas
Wasn't the only real move that would make you release A the spin move? And the stiff arm? X was dive, Y was hurdle and jukes were on the triggers. IIRC, stiff arm was the black button.
Only thing I can think of was releasing x to use the analog jukes on the right stick.

SageInfinite Bandcamp
https://sageinfinite.bandcamp.com/album/interminable
https://soundcloud.com/sageinfinite
Hidden Language Video Feat. Grandmilly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf5nW4rGTFM

#makethemaddenforumgreatagain

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »