Home

MLB 14 The Show: A History of Left-Handed Infielders

This is a discussion on MLB 14 The Show: A History of Left-Handed Infielders within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 03-03-2014, 04:58 PM   #9
Developer

Woodweaver's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: MLB 14 The Show: A History of Left-Handed Infielders

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomo17k
I actually think this awkwardness factor is exactly the reason the proper animations for left-handed fielders in "inappropriate" positions should be included in the game. The only difference is that SCEA probably should've advertised the new feature *not* as "now we can use left-handed infielders!!" but as something along the line of "left-handed players playing out of natural positions are properly punished by their awkward mechanics."

As you correctly point out, left-handed players are rare in certain positions because they cannot make certain plays naturally and efficiently as right-handed players. So if somebody tries to put them in those unnatural positions, they really should have a good reason to do so, like their offensive contribution significantly surpasses their flaws in fielding.

Without the proper animations, we have been getting free lunch for putting left-handed players into positions for which they should be punished in playing. This has not been the case till MLB 14 (although they may have gotten generic reduction in fielding attribute ratings...).

So I am curious as to how this affects the game play. How much do you get penalized for playing a left-handed second baseman when turning two? Does the game have appropriate animation representing the awkwardness?

I hold my judgement till I actually see the implementation.
You are correct. Your précis is exactly why this change was made.

There was never any penalty for playing a left-hander in the infield. He was just forced to right handedness while on defense. There still is not any penalty other than the awkwardness and delay inherent with playing these positions left handed.
Old 03-03-2014, 05:58 PM   #10
MVP

BROman's Arena

OVR: 11
As a lefty, I always played in the outfield & 1st base, but I played one season on a middle school team devoid of good infielders, so I had to play some 2nd & 3rd. 2nd wasn't that bad except for trying to turn DP's- I never did once. 3rd was ridiculously hard- almost every throw required a spin, so I played way off the line as a result, as a throw after fielding a ball backhanded was not going to end up well. Anyways, I'm interested to see if they've taken all of this into account.
Old 03-03-2014, 06:10 PM   #11
DJ2K

mb625's Arena

OVR: 18
My little brother, who is left-handed, is pretty set on playing shortstop. He's in 7th grade this year, one year away from playing in high school (they do things a bit differently in Iowa, with the summer season and all) and I keep telling him that he will likely be moved to either first base or outfield, due to his left-handedness... Guess history is on his side.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-03-2014, 07:36 PM   #12
MVP

cardinalbird5's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curahee
The big things is really 2-fold.

#1 if you are a lefty in real life, this gives your CAP an opportunity to play an IF position as a lefty.

#2, in dire situations, this give the user the opportunity to place a lefty at an IF position if necessary and keep him a lefty, rather than the CPU auto-changing him to a righty.

Will I ever use it? No. Im a righty and I have no need for it.
But #2 might pop up one of these days and why not keep him a lefty if he really is a lefty.
It could apply to DD as well, which kind of falls back to number 1, RB.
Old 03-03-2014, 09:54 PM   #13
Pro

cubby blue's Arena

OVR: 2
Squires played for the White Sox that year not the Cubs. FYI
Old 03-04-2014, 01:32 AM   #14
MVP

CaseIH's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuke_21
There are lefty infielders, they're called first basemen
Exactly, that is the only place for a lefty in the infield is 1st base. Actually it is best to have a lefty at 1st base over a RH'er too.

Not sure why they are adding this in, so a lefty can play 2nd,ss,3rd or catch considering you wont see it in the majors leagues. But it fine with me, as long as generated players dont end up being LH'ed playing those positions in my franchise. I am also LH'ed too

In LL while I was our main pitcher I did play 3rd base quite often. We also had a LH'ed catchers mit, and the coach put me at catcher at times too which I loved, because Johnny Bench was and always will be my favorite player. In LL this kind of stuff really dont matter, because you typically have to put your best players at this positions to have success, but once you get older their are enough quality players the coaches dont have to do that. Actually once I got to highschool, my coach had this thing with his pitchers not playing any infield positions which I hated, cause I wanted to go back to 1st base when i wasnt pitching. So it was either play the OF or sit on the bench if it wasnt your day to pitch.

Favorite teams:
MLB- Reds/ and whoever is playing the Cubs
NBA- Pacers
NFL- Dolphins & Colts
Old 03-04-2014, 07:54 AM   #15
MVP

OVR: 19
I never payed much attention to this in baseball games, until SCEA said they've included left handed fielders this year.
This is a nice little touch added by SCEA. adds another element of strategy to the game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-04-2014, 09:48 AM   #16
100 Miles To Go

Curahee's Arena

OVR: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinalbird7
It could apply to DD as well, which kind of falls back to number 1, RB.

Ive been granted a name change!

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »