Home

Olympic Hockey '98: The Most Famous 'Roster Update'

This is a discussion on Olympic Hockey '98: The Most Famous 'Roster Update' within the Other Hockey Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Other Hockey Games
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 02-21-2014, 10:55 AM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
Olympic Hockey '98: The Most Famous 'Roster Update'

Until FIFA 13's and FIFA 14's recent arrival on the PlayStation Vita, the Nintendo 64's Olympic Hockey 98 held the unofficial title of being the most critically decried, full-priced “roster update” in sports gaming's history. When you consider that $60 in 1998 inflates to roughly $87 in 2014, it's easy to see how the outrage occurred.

In the most succinct review ever published on a major gaming website, IGN's Matt Casamassina awarded Olympic Hockey 98 a 0/10, saying only, “We'll post a new review when Midway releases a new game." The "old game" in reference was Wayne Gretzky's 3D Hockey 98, which had appeared on the Nintendo 64 just two months prior in December of 1997.

Read More - Olympic Hockey '98: The Most Famous 'Roster Update'
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-21-2014, 11:16 AM   #2
All Star

OVR: 35
Uh, MLB 2k13?
Old 02-21-2014, 12:02 PM   #3
Rookie

BSchwartz07's Arena

OVR: 0
I'd love to see the Olympics worked into games like the NBA 2K franchise. It would certainly spice up the my player mode by getting selected for international competitions and the Olympics.
Old 02-21-2014, 01:30 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 1
Lol. Team USA Basketball was the first thing I thought of when I read the title. I completely forgot about that hockey game. I guess Sega era games are just immune from roster update status.
Old 02-21-2014, 02:16 PM   #5
Rookie

I doubt it, the IOC seem like a huge corrupt nightmare of a bureaucracy to deal with so I don't really see it happening. It would be kinda awesome, but at this point I would be happy if the NHL-series had licensed national team jerseys.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-21-2014, 03:00 PM   #6
MVP

Iceman87GT's Arena

OVR: 15
Re: Olympic Hockey '98: The Most Famous 'Roster Update'

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashless
I doubt it, the IOC seem like a huge corrupt nightmare of a bureaucracy to deal with so I don't really see it happening. It would be kinda awesome, but at this point I would be happy if the NHL-series had licensed national team jerseys.
This. Its been awhile since I've played the NHL series but do they still just slap the flag on a generic jersey? The least they could do is use an actual crest/logo (USA logo (where the S is made up of stripes), Maple Leaf for Canada, etc.), surely those would be cheap to license.
NHL: Pittsburgh Penguins
RIP Atlanta Thrashers
Old 02-21-2014, 04:03 PM   #7
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman87GT
This. Its been awhile since I've played the NHL series but do they still just slap the flag on a generic jersey? The least they could do is use an actual crest/logo (USA logo (where the S is made up of stripes), Maple Leaf for Canada, etc.), surely those would be cheap to license.
Yeah, they still do that =( I'm afraid it will remain that way until there is another viable hockey game out there. I'de imagine the same thing goes for the KHL license.
Old 02-21-2014, 06:58 PM   #8
Pro

jmaj315's Arena

OVR: 2
Weren't games only $50 back then? I thought they went up to $60 when PS2 and Xbox came out

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Other Hockey Games »