Home

How Voice Commands Can Continue to Revolutionize Basketball Gaming

This is a discussion on How Voice Commands Can Continue to Revolutionize Basketball Gaming within the NBA Live forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 02-04-2014, 12:12 PM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
How Voice Commands Can Continue to Revolutionize Basketball Gaming

Despite the added incentive of a PlayStation Network trophy, just 54 percent of NBA 2K14 players have ever "called a play using the 2K Smart Play feature."

For NBA Live 14, the numbers look way worse. Only 6 percent of Live owners on the PlayStation Network have the trophy for "calling a play that ends up in a bucket."

Read More - How Voice Commands Can Continue to Revolutionize Basketball Gaming
Platform: PS4 / Xbox One
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-04-2014, 12:38 PM   #2
Rookie

Semipro91's Arena

OVR: 1
You can call subs using your voice in 2k14. Its not as detailed as this article would like but you can say "Sub Kobe Bryant" and depending on your 6th man or who the next 2 guard in your lineup is, someone will come in for Kobe,
Old 02-04-2014, 01:02 PM   #3
Rookie

BSchwartz07's Arena

OVR: 0
I had to turn the voice controls off on 2K13, I would get T'd up for cursing if anyone in my house said anything... it literally thought anything anyone said was either that or asking for a timeout, got REALLY annoying.
Old 02-04-2014, 01:08 PM   #4

ubernoob's Arena

OVR: 24
Re: How Voice Commands Can Continue to Revolutionize Basketball Gaming

Even trophies can't save a gimmick that will (and should) ever be a gimmick.

Voice commands in any type of gaming will take off the same day a truly immersive VR experience is developed.

Why feel like an idiot talking to an inanimate object when the same thing can be accomplished (often quicker) by pressing a button or two?
Old 02-04-2014, 01:09 PM   #5
Banned

Disagree, yelling at the TV is immersion breaking, and with background noise can be problematic and they don;t work 100% of the time. Nothing but a waste of time and a gimmick.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-04-2014, 01:11 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 8
You call quick plays just by pressing the directional pads button s without holding the shoulder button and if you double a certain direction you can choose a specific player to run the play for all without holding another Button in nba live so what's hard about that...ppl haven't Been doing it cause they don't have the game and they just don't know how to do it
Old 02-04-2014, 01:11 PM   #7
MVP

El_Poopador's Arena

Re: How Voice Commands Can Continue to Revolutionize Basketball Gaming

using it to communicate with players on the court would be a big advantage especially in my career where you only control a single player. even something as simple as saying "switch" on a pick would be welcome and give the player a sense of control and realism instead of not knowing how the ai teammate is going to play the screen.

right now i think you can call for a double team by saying "help" but thats a little too cut and dry. saying "help" if a ball handler gets past or you get stuck behind an off-ball screen would cause your teammates to be aware of the man youre guarding and collapse into the paint on a drive or close out on the three point shooter instead of just arbitrarily bringing a second man to double team whoever has the ball.

one thing that needs to happen for the voice commands is better recognition. if you have to say something three or four times for it to work then its not worth it. being able to issue voice commands through a headset would help a lot here i think as opposed to relying on a mic situated by the tv across the room to pick out the words. maybe they can add in a voice command button that would start listening for commands specific to the game when you press it similar to communicating with your team in halo 2 (pressing the white button would open up the "team speak" line so your whole team could hear you no matter where you were. then it would cut off automatically after you stopped talking).
Old 02-04-2014, 01:13 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 8
2k14 my camera be trying to take commands and I'm not even saying anything...it pick up voices from its own game smh

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live »