Home

R.B.I. Baseball 14 Announced For Current and Next-Gen Consoles, Mobile Devices Too

This is a discussion on R.B.I. Baseball 14 Announced For Current and Next-Gen Consoles, Mobile Devices Too within the Other Baseball Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 01-23-2014, 12:45 PM   #161
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40
Re: R.B.I. Baseball 14 Announced For Current and Next-Gen Consoles, Mobile Devices To

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
Was Baseball Stars the one where it showed a press conference after a big signing?
I loved that game too!

One of my favourites was Baseball Simulator 2000. Yes, there was a stadium on the moon and you could earn special powers like super speed, or super jump.
But that game was a lot of fun too. It had a pretty deep stats package, standings, etc.

I'm completely ignorant to how much money it takes to produce a game these days, but man, back in the 80's, it was great being a baseball fan.
There were oodles of games to choose from.
It'd be nice to have more than 1 or 2 options to choose from.

Yep, it had the press conference when you signed a Free Agent, the sad scene when you released a guy (and the funny part is you could build up the "ghost player" still but then sign a FA to replace him too LOL). Created teams, player development, earning money for said development when you win and based on your prestige and your opponent's (which was based on each individual player's prestige rating - so you could have a good guy who's a jerk and no one likes - or a team full of said players and have a hard time earning cash).

It was also the first game on the NES I played that had trading, visible player ratings (with no "overall", just the player's skills), and league play (division standings, a schedule grid) and some stats tracking and leaderboards. Probably were others but that was the first game I had run across that did it.

I agree - games back then were plentiful and baseball seemed like the most common sport done. Some of these games seemed really ahead of their time. Hard to find an innovative feature and game mechanic now. Funny how player development budget just showed up a couple versions ago in OOTP and I first saw more money = more development back in Baseball Stars!

Last edited by KBLover; 01-23-2014 at 12:48 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-23-2014, 01:23 PM   #162
All Star

OVR: 13
Re: R.B.I. Baseball 14 Announced For Current and Next-Gen Consoles, Mobile Devices To

Quote:
Originally Posted by fistofrage
Hardball was revolutionary back in the day. It was a bummer though when I realized that the guys place in the lineup determined how fast he was, power he had, etc. That and I think that Barnes guy for the blue team could run faster than the ball.
You know, I never realized that a guy's place in the lineup determined those stats. As in, just now when you told me that is the first time I ever knew that. Learn something new every day...would have been useful for me to know 20+ years ago, but I guess when I was 9 or whatever, I wasn't that sophisticated. I do, however, know that the blue team was better, and in no small part because of "Barnes" or whoever, who was like Ichiro and could beat out hot grounders to short that were cleanly fielded...

Honestly, I'm serious when I say I want the original RBI game included in the new game. I understand w/ player union issues they might not be able to have all the original names, but even the game w/ filler names or modern names would be fine. I mean, how big could that game possibly be? 150-200k? Probably half a MB at most?
Old 01-23-2014, 03:51 PM   #163
3X MLBTS Champion

mlblover15's Arena

OVR: 19

Actually RBI Baseball 94' was the last in the games line and it was on the Sega Genesis. It was made by Tengen,
Old 01-23-2014, 05:04 PM   #164
All Star

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlblover15
Actually RBI Baseball 94' was the last in the games line and it was on the Sega Genesis. It was made by Tengen,
I vaguely remember this...but I only really care about the original one, with the short/fat/round characters that looked like Cartman from "South Park".
Old 01-23-2014, 07:19 PM   #165
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlblover15
Yeah by the time the Sega Genesis and Super Nintendo came around, RBI Baseball just wasn't an appealing series anymore.

Sports Talk Baseball (Genesis) and Ken Griffey Jr. Presents Major League Baseball (Super Nintendo) were both way better games.

Sports Talk Baseball in particular is one of the most underrated games from that era:

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-23-2014, 07:52 PM   #166
Rookie

OVR: 5

I still have RBI 4 and RBI 94 for my Sega Genesis. Both are challenging games, but a lot of fun. Picking Barry Bonds for the Home Run Derby for RBI 94 is a lot of fun.
Old 01-24-2014, 10:30 AM   #167
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyoung
Sports Talk Baseball (Genesis) and Ken Griffey Jr. Presents Major League Baseball (Super Nintendo) were both way better games.

Sports Talk Baseball in particular is one of the most underrated games from that era:
Sports Talk was one my favorites. Chili Davis was the man!! Sports Talk football was solid too.
Old 01-24-2014, 11:34 AM   #168
MVP

OVR: 10

Sports Talk is another one that I put way too many hours into.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games »