Home

NBA Live 14: It's Time to Leave a Man Behind

This is a discussion on NBA Live 14: It's Time to Leave a Man Behind within the NBA Live forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 01-22-2014, 11:03 PM   #49
Rookie

DreDay2K's Arena

OVR: 0
I was a Live guy from 2002-2009.. Then became a 2k guy when they introduced my player mode. Was rooting for Live to make a strong comeback. I think that they should of waited another year to release the game. Could of been way better!
Old 01-23-2014, 12:47 AM   #50
Pro

OVR: 8
It's a bad year for basketball games on next gen, but I've actually been playing Live 14 since 2K has been broken and I don't see anything good there. In my opinion 2K14 on current gen is a better game. If it took them 2-3 years to release Live 14, I think it's nearly impossible for them to make something spectacular for Live 15 in such a small window with divided resources. Over the last 10 years they've had one decent Live game in my opinion and the guy responsible for that works on 2K. So judging by their track record and what's out there now I don't even believe they have the right minds in place to even innovate and implement a basketball game on the level we demand now. Live's heyday was back when games were more arcade and didn't contain all of the real life nuance.

Meanwhile if the other game manages to correct VC and give back offline saves, they have a lock on next year's market. Just giving where they stand now and what needs to be fixed for next year, Live is like the Orlando Magic trying to win the title this year and 2K is like the Heat. Overcome a Wade injury and add another ring.
Old 01-23-2014, 02:37 AM   #51
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: NBA Live 14: It's Time to Leave a Man Behind

Let me first say I don't have the game. This is what I gather from watching many videos.

Just not feeling next gen. The more "next gen" we get, the more online we get. The more online we get, the more incomplete games we get, the more weak excuses of game modes that happen to be online-only we get. I don't even consider them game modes anymore.

I knew from the jump when live was talking about rosters within hours, edits, replay games, that it'd all flop. "Big moments" is just "situation" that doesn't even require real life replication. I was expecting at least for the game winning moments to have to reproduce the exact shot type, at least, hit DRose's floater over multiple defenders, same spot, same play. But you don't have to. It's situation. Dunk it, you'll pass. It's easy to, inbound defense and offense is so lackadaisical, just do a circle, run to the basket.

The game plays so slow at times and then so quick where you can't digest things at other times. It's a middle zone of not being able to replicate real life movement, yet still suffering lack of spontaneous-ism. Ever since Live's tried to be more realistic the more moves it seems they've taken out of the game.

They say the moves have depth, but I swear there were more meaningful moves in live 2005/6. I don't get the feeling that moves matter, I don't think they do matter. How many times have you seen Joel Anthony spin out the post and powerslam over 2 defenders in real life? How many times have you seen that in this game? That's the depth of the post game. Spin off, try to dunk. One generic(and fake looking) up and under move, one stiff hook shot.

Tried to be a fan of it, but my biggest turn-down moment was the lack of contact, man. And the force field on dunkers! They still look untouchable, knocking players back. We're they playing sonic, they get purple shields when they take off? What really gets me is that there seems to be more contact against the defenders, than offensive players. That seems backwards to me.

I wish I wish they could just make a live 05/6 game, port it, and revamp it to ps4. To hell with this online stuff. The only thing that would be cool about up****** rosters is to update haircuts, tattoos, trades. Nothing else other than those really matter. I don't want my accessories updated, I don't want you telling me I can't play as Derrick Rose, I wouldn't ****ing buy the game if I couldn't play as Derrick Rose, man. Make the entire game and its modes for the $60 purchase. Too many generic online modes taking up the game's value.

Didn't mean to post all of this crap. But I forgot to add; when you take out 2-man animations, give the ball life, have these physics and whatnot, then animations absolutely matter, they matter more than they've ever had before.

Last edited by Halfamazing; 01-23-2014 at 02:59 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-23-2014, 06:52 AM   #52
Rookie

http://http://youtu.be/CjYEi4PEqF4
Old 01-23-2014, 11:13 AM   #53
We Go Again

VTPack919's Arena

OVR: 22
I never really comment on articles here because they are usually great...

I am; however, confused by this article. It's not one of OperationSports' best and it sounds like the author did not spend much time with the game. Don't we usually love post release support around here? I must be playing a different game because I feel that this one has great potential and a patch or two would go along way to making it even better.
Old 01-23-2014, 11:43 AM   #54
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38

Maybe I am interpreting the article differently.

I didn’t take it as, “Stop supporting Live 14 all together, we as fans don’t like support post release”

I took more as “How much support do you put into a NBA game in February and going forward, before it starts to hinder the progress of the next installment due in October?”

Selfishly, as someone who does think the game has potential, of course I want some more post release support, but I can see where the article is coming from. Unless I missed it, he didnt tell EA to cancel the upcoming patch or anything like that...but looking at what Scott promised, I dont know if the patch in itself is going live up to that...
Old 01-23-2014, 12:09 PM   #55
All Star

King_B_Mack's Arena

OVR: 23

I think this is just the typical defensive reaction hardcore fans of a series take 24th. Something is said that doesn't paint a glowing, flawless picture of the product that is supported so automatically it turns into "hating" or some sort of bashing/unfair treatment case and all the worst possible explanations for why the person feels the way they feel about the product get's thrown out there as if it's something personal.

The way the article is written its clear that the issue at hand is not about providing post release support, but how long do you continue to provide the amount of support that this game needs and was promised to get it to the point that everyone wants it. We're at February now pretty much, provided release dates move back to normal now with next gen consoles out, this game should be dropping first week of October. You should be going gold around the third week of September or so. The rest of September and near the end of August should be all testing and final minor tweaks. Do we really need them still trying to make drastic changes to fix Live 14 in February and March instead of working on 15?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-23-2014, 12:18 PM   #56
Rookie

riggs6taters's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie1967
No that's what you want to believe because you don't agree with what he wrote. Nice try though. One game has nothing to do with the other.
Not, thanks for trying tho

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live »