Home

NBA Live 14 Demo Available Now, Post Your Impressions Here

This is a discussion on NBA Live 14 Demo Available Now, Post Your Impressions Here within the NBA Live forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 11-22-2013, 01:03 AM   #129
MVP

OVR: 1
Re: NBA Live 14 Demo Available Now, Post Your Impressions Here

Finally tried the demo, partially out of morbid curiousity, partially because I wanted to see bounce-tek in action.

Well the graphics were bad... we already knew that-- but I was shocked at how HORRIBLE the gameplay was. Nevermind comparing it with the competition. It wouldn't even pass muster as a decent game in and of itself!

First, I busted up laughing seeing "Steph Curry" with a tiny head and huge body in pre-game warmups. So bad graphics, confirmed. Courts look okay. Even passable, but not great. There's a deadness about the presentation all around-- now some crowd models look good, but that just makes it seem even more ridiculous that so many players look terrible in comparison.

Controls were sluggish. Wasn't this the main complaint guys who championed Live had against the other franchise? Everything moves in slow motion. There doesn't seem to be much change in speed or explosiveness anywhere in game.

Bounce-Tek is... pretty crappy in practice. The controls are not intuitive or responsive at all. A flick right does not actually move the ball to the right. And it's really weird that you just hold RS down to get the slow cross. Feels like you're fighting animations rather than initiating them. Sure, the foot planting is okay, but it's not hard to do foot planting when your player isn't moving. That goes for the game in general-- everything moves in slow motion so there isn't as much sliding. Anyway, you have none of the responsive dribbling control or freedom the other game affords. This is Live's biggest feature?

Presentation is... really underwhelming. Kind of terrible. The commentators sound bored or like they're casually chatting on sports radio. Everyone sounds like they're mailing it in, including Jalen. But that's partially because Jalen's delivery is made robotic and choppy through poor splicing of sentence fragments. There is almost nothing that this game does as well as the other game, including presentation. The only thing that's better is the score bug.

Overall gameplay, again, sluggish and robotic. AI is barely existant. Durant just dribbled an entire possession in place with the clock winding down at the end of the first instead of attempting a shot. Defense doesn't attempt to swipe at the ball wall you dribble incessantly. It barely cares you're there. Just sub-par, barely last gen gameplay overall.

There are a few positives. Occasional fragments of dribble animations look very life like-- even if the actual dribble system it's part of is poorly put together. I liked that players would tilt a little when rounding a corner or turning. It looks a bit more realistic but isn't nearly as well implemented across the board as Live marketing makes it out to be. It's almost like everytime they add a decent mo-cap sequence to the game, they try to sell it as a bullet point feature.

Other positives-- occasionally you see some nice contextual pass animations, and the game almost looks kind of good in transition. It confirms what I saw earlier-- that it looks like they're at least trying to make it look like basketball, even if they're doing it poorly. It's better than the debacle that were the last three games.

All I can say is that they have an engine they can build from, but the game looks and plays like side-job pet project. They've got a ton of work to do before it's a respectable basketball game, but at least what they've shown is they're making the right game, albeit very, very badly. I'm just not sure if they have the vision and EA's backing to truly execute.

Last edited by Sundown; 11-22-2013 at 01:07 AM.
Old 11-22-2013, 02:52 AM   #130
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedream2k13
With these questions it seems like you don't have the game yet you try to defend it ?????
He doesn't...weird innit!
Old 11-22-2013, 10:12 AM   #131
Rookie

OVR: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by King_B_Mack

Mannnnn...at least you're happy though.
Damn, son!!! LMAO!

I'm a guy that defended Live 10 and felt it was better than 2K10. My dream was that EA could build off that game and that didn't happen. I always wish that 2K had Live arena atmosphere and sounds. That's the biggest sore spot for the NBA 2K series. I have no idea how folks can defend this Live 14. We have to continue blasting EA over this garbage of a game in order to motivate them to try harder. Why aren't they hearing fans when we tell them to look at Live 10 and understand what they did right?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-22-2013, 01:58 PM   #132
Pro

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftychampleone
Damn, son!!! LMAO!

I'm a guy that defended Live 10 and felt it was better than 2K10. My dream was that EA could build off that game and that didn't happen. I always wish that 2K had Live arena atmosphere and sounds. That's the biggest sore spot for the NBA 2K series. I have no idea how folks can defend this Live 14. We have to continue blasting EA over this garbage of a game in order to motivate them to try harder. Why aren't they hearing fans when we tell them to look at Live 10 and understand what they did right?
Stop telling EA ton build off live 10!!!! MIKE has control over live10!! MIKE was the head designer for live10!!!! When mike left he took the coding's to the core gameplay engine. EA was left with just the presentation, art, and other garbage.....THEY cant get the old live 10 function of the game back because it was taken awayyyy!!!!

am I I the only who knows this

VC/2k sports fan
Old 11-22-2013, 02:07 PM   #133
MVP

El_Poopador's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadio5
Stop telling EA ton build off live 10!!!! MIKE has control over live10!! MIKE was the head designer for live10!!!! When mike left he took the coding's to the core gameplay engine. EA was left with just the presentation, art, and other garbage.....THEY cant get the old live 10 function of the game back because it was taken awayyyy!!!!

VC/2k sports fan
what? where did you get that idea?
Old 11-22-2013, 02:08 PM   #134
Rookie

canes2008's Arena

OVR: 9

man the defense is horrible in this game why is it so hard to play defense
Old 11-22-2013, 02:38 PM   #135
Rookie

OVR: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadio5

VC/2k sports fan
Easy Kemosabe. Easy! I know who Mike Wang is and what he did for that game. Him leaving back to 2K was a dagger to EA. So as far as the gameplay goes in regards to coding the movement and gameplay that it's all owned by Mike Wang?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-22-2013, 05:03 PM   #136
Rookie

OVR: 1

In all honesty the game isnt bad, downloaded the demo earlier today. Is it worth 60? probably not, but not awful

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live »