Home

NBA Live 14 Reviews From Around the Web

This is a discussion on NBA Live 14 Reviews From Around the Web within the NBA Live forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 11-21-2013, 08:44 PM   #289
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: NBA Live 14 Reviews From Around the Web

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingeo19
Adult consumers should not be making excuses for publishers or development studios. This poster realizes what many of the excuse makers do not.

davon6 from the NLSC forums:

To be fair I think the argument as to this being a new entry after a break isn't valid at all. These developers have had years... not months, not days, years to produce a decent product. Are we to suddenly believe this is EA's first time at making a hoops game? Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't EA create NBA games before 2k even existed? I mean live is not a new basketball IP by any stretch. The excuse that they are just starting out is bogus at best. I mean seriously, I'm in the graphic arts profession and if you gave me years to work on a project you better believe it better be some of the best stuff I've ever created.

The world functions on deadlines and time management gents. So the true question here would be what happened with their time management? So to say oh this is their first game back after a break is nonsense, there was no break. Supposedly these developers were working on this game during this so called break which is why they kept postponing a release. In fact did they not pull the game a couple times because of being unsatisfied with the state of the products development?

Don't get me wrong, I wanted the game to succeed like any fan of the live series from back in the good ole days but this is inexcusable. If anything, with the time they were given the game should have been a showcase of innovation and creativity. At some point you have to accept that this game is what it is, a lazy attempt to re-enter a market that EA helped to establish to begin with. Shame on them. Don't kid yourself, some bigwigs at EA will not be very happy with this. I'm fairly certain they don't like losing money and its games like this that can cost jobs.

Thats all well and good, but does he know how many of the team that made NBA Live 14 worked on previous iterations if the game??. Until he does that is nothing more than an absolute load of bluster by a man (or woman) standing on a soap box shouting at his monitor.
Old 11-21-2013, 09:00 PM   #290
Rookie

OVR: 5

It's clearly understood that they didn't have four years to work on any specific title but they've had four years to put out a quality title.
They've continued to stub their toe, break their foot, and now break their leg. These weren't accidents, they're self inflicted injuries. EA Sports and the development teams that have worked on the failed titles misled and mismanaged the series. Poor design, planning, execution, and messaging has led them to their earned ridicule.

If you do enough searching you'll find that EA Sports has been working on an an NBA series title for the last 4 years.
There are at least two credible outlets, Pastapadre (Bryan Wiedey) and Kotakus-Owen Good who have covered the failings in the recent years.

Nobody who plays or purchases COD, FIFA or Madden annually would stand for this ineptitude.

Elite 11...basically recalled shipped games
Elite 12/NBA Live 12...nothing, but Peter Moore quoted as saying there was an up and running build
Live 13...xbox live/psn only download that was cancelled when the horrid game video leaked (majornelson basically confirmed that what we saw was what we were getting)
Live 14...polished version of Live 13 that they hid until release

EA Sports has gotten off easy in all this. Luckily for them basketball doesn't drive sports gaming like both futbol and football!
Old 11-21-2013, 09:21 PM   #291
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingeo19
It's clearly understood that they didn't have four years to work on any specific title but they've had four years to put out a quality title.
They've continued to stub their toe, break their foot, and now break their leg. These weren't accidents, they're self inflicted injuries. EA Sports and the development teams that have worked on the failed titles misled and mismanaged the series. Poor design, planning, execution, and messaging has led them to their earned ridicule.

If you do enough searching you'll find that EA Sports has been working on an an NBA series title for the last 4 years.
There are at least two credible outlets, Pastapadre (Bryan Wiedey) and Kotakus-Owen Good who have covered the failings in the recent years.

Nobody who plays or purchases COD, FIFA or Madden annually would stand for this ineptitude.

Elite 11...basically recalled shipped games
Elite 12/NBA Live 12...nothing, but Peter Moore quoted as saying there was an up and running build
Live 13...xbox live/psn only download that was cancelled when the horrid game video leaked (majornelson basically confirmed that what we saw was what we were getting)
Live 14...polished version of Live 13 that they hid until release

EA Sports has gotten off easy in all this. Luckily for them basketball doesn't drive sports gaming like both futbol and football!
Are you suggesting that NBA Live 14 is a polished version of 13?? even when you consider that the lead gameplay designer, Scott O'Gallagher was only brought onboard last July in the gameplay designer role (this was confirmed by him on a stream I was watching in the last day of so).

Are you suggesting that he has came in with his own vision of how he wants the game and has just said "f*ck it, lets just polish up 13"?? Are you really saying this?

Also coming into this is the move of the series to Tiburon after 11's debacle. How many from the old studio moved to Tiburon?

There's absolutely no doubt that NBA Live has been an absolute mess since 10 was released and Elite was put into development and I whole heartedly agree with your last point about EA getting away with it, the marketing for this version was bordering on embarrassing. They should be getting it in the ear but does the development team deserve the vitriol and bile that has been put their way?? I have my doubts as this is a video game and nothing else.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-21-2013, 09:38 PM   #292
Banned

OVR: 7
Re: IGN-NBA LIVE REVIEW

Quote:
Originally Posted by yungflo
I wish sony would take the plunge and develop an NBA game. Yes, I know they made nba:the life, but without the life, there would be no my player/rising career mode or a time release on jumpers.. the game was arcady but it was still fun.

I would like to see them take a more simulation approach. Seeing how they were the only video game to secure the tnt license...that'll be awesome to see in a video game again.
If its anything like MLB The Show..yes yes yes
Old 11-21-2013, 09:52 PM   #293
Go Irish

Rules's Arena

OVR: 17

Watching the videos, it looks similar to the older versions of college basketball on the Xbox.
Old 11-21-2013, 10:10 PM   #294
MVP

GisherJohn24's Arena

OVR: 4

The more I play I see some qualities. But I'm still not able to ignore the most glaring issues.
Old 11-21-2013, 11:07 PM   #295
You got the stuff?

Eddie1967's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackceasar
I think some of the reviews (and peoples comments)

It's like if you are a fat chick, with a pretty face and you go into a nightclub and you're literally the ONLY girl in there... someones going to hit on you... maybe even some really good looking guys when it's last call, and he's had a few too many... BUT when you're a fat chick with a pretty face and you walk into a bar and there's 100 other chicks in there... well... do you really expect the hottest guys in there to hit on you?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-21-2013, 11:16 PM   #296
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo22
Are you suggesting that NBA Live 14 is a polished version of 13?? even when you consider that the lead gameplay designer, Scott O'Gallagher was only brought onboard last July in the gameplay designer role (this was confirmed by him on a stream I was watching in the last day of so).

Are you suggesting that he has came in with his own vision of how he wants the game and has just said "f*ck it, lets just polish up 13"?? Are you really saying this?

Also coming into this is the move of the series to Tiburon after 11's debacle. How many from the old studio moved to Tiburon?

There's absolutely no doubt that NBA Live has been an absolute mess since 10 was released and Elite was put into development and I whole heartedly agree with your last point about EA getting away with it, the marketing for this version was bordering on embarrassing. They should be getting it in the ear but does the development team deserve the vitriol and bile that has been put their way?? I have my doubts as this is a video game and nothing else.

http://operationsportspressrow.libsy...tt-o-gallagher

In this same podcast OG says he thought Live 13 was a good game and it should have been released.

Go and watch the leaked gameplay footage that featured the HEAT and Thunder. Does that look like a good game, a good development effort?
For some of the older pc folks out there, you cant tell me that Live
13 player movement doesn't resemble ol school Prince of Persia.

Looking at leaked gameplay was the only way we could make a judgment on Live 13 since EA never let consumers play the game. So now Live 14 is finally released and to my eyes the game looks like a polished version of 13. Animations and player models were cleaned up quite a bit but it's still lacking. Nobody knows what Live 13 felt like because nobody was able to play it. How do we know that it didn't feel similar to what Live 14 is today? Does anybody know how much of an impact the IGNITE engine would make to a basketball title?

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live »