Home

NBA Live 14 Reviews From Around the Web

This is a discussion on NBA Live 14 Reviews From Around the Web within the NBA Live forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 11-21-2013, 11:58 AM   #257
D* B**rs!

Boilerbuzz's Arena

OVR: 28
Re: NBA Live 14 Reviews From Around the Web

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Poopador
the reviews seem to say the same things but they contradict each other. its too easy to drive into the paint but there are too many blocks shots.
I fail to see how these are contradictory. As a matter of fact, the IGN review even says that to make up for the ease to drive the paint, the blocks are exaggerated.

You dudes are REALLY reaching. Didn't take long.
Old 11-21-2013, 12:14 PM   #258
D* B**rs!

Boilerbuzz's Arena

Quote:
he was definitely getting inside more in the 2k gameplay. he had 2 points in the live gameplay and it wasnt even from the paint. it was from an open jumper. to me that says that you CANT just charge the paint like he said you can..
What? The reviews shows certain plays, but that says NOTHING about the actual overall results of the games they played. You see maybe 12 plays out of about 200 and you're drawing your conclusions about how they play based on the clips they CHOOSE to show in the review? Sorry in advance for the insult, but that's just a moronic line of reasoning.

Again: WHAT DOES THIS HAVE TO DO WITH 2K!?! Guys like you have yet to address the issues pointed on in the reviews, you continue to try to deflect to 2K, and you don't help make Live better by holding it to a basic standard of excellence. You're leaning on nebulus arguments like "it's a foundation" and fuzzy qualifiers like "if you really know basketall" or "if you're a real fan of the NBA". GTFO with that. You guys are REALLY insulting people's intelligence with this stuff. You don't think anyone notices that the only credible review in YOUR opinions is the only one that doesn't rate the game a 6/10 or below? And you think the rest of the world is wrong? The blind refusal to even acknowledge the consensus here leads me to assume you guys are just troll baiting. I really believe that. You can't POSSIBLE believe the garbage excuses you're giving at every turn.
Old 11-21-2013, 12:24 PM   #259
D* B**rs!

Boilerbuzz's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by yungflo
I had my share of defense too, but after playing the game, its horrible! Devs wanted us to play the game instead of criticizing it when watching it. Well, it turned out, playing it was alot worse than watching it!
What does this say when one of OS's bigger Live fans says this? This is pretty big of you, yungflo. I know it sucks to post this.

I'm one of those people that if I see someone post a criticism that I share, I don't repeat it. So you won't find posts from me about what's wrong with the game. But seeing people dismiss criticism blindly sends me into a rage. THESE are the people that validate EA and one of the reasons Madden sucks. If the Madden fanboys had the balls to tell EA that Madden is NOT great as it is and it NEEDS to copy the good from other games, it wouldn't be where it is right now. This has nothing to do with Madden, but everything to do with EA and the consumer holding the company accountable. I respect the Live team's effort and we'll see how the move from here. But for now, the public has spoken.
Old 11-21-2013, 12:33 PM   #260
MVP

El_Poopador's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boilerbuzz
What? The reviews shows certain plays, but that says NOTHING about the actual overall results of the games they played. You see maybe 12 plays out of about 200 and you're drawing your conclusions about how they play based on the clips they CHOOSE to show in the review? Sorry in advance for the insult, but that's just a moronic line of reasoning.
you would think that they would show clips in the review that back up what they are saying instead of random clips that contradict it. either way i was referring to the uncut quarter of live gameplay not the review.

Quote:
Again: WHAT DOES THIS HAVE TO DO WITH 2K!?! Guys like you have yet to address the issues pointed on in the reviews, you continue to try to deflect to 2K, and you don't help make Live better by holding it to a basic standard of excellence.
i only mentioned 2k because the comment i was replying to mentioned it. please pay attention to who i am addressing when quoting my comments.

Quote:
You're leaning on nebulus arguments like "it's a foundation" and fuzzy qualifiers like "if you really know basketall" or "if you're a real fan of the NBA". GTFO with that. You guys are REALLY insulting people's intelligence with this stuff. You don't think anyone notices that the only credible review in YOUR opinions is the only one that doesn't rate the game a 6/10 or below? And you think the rest of the world is wrong? The blind refusal to even acknowledge the consensus here leads me to assume you guys are just troll baiting. I really believe that. You can't POSSIBLE believe the garbage excuses you're giving at every turn.
i never said any review was or was not credible with the exception of ign. i base that solely off of the tone of the review and then the live uncut gameplay they showed. and i never said the game is great. from the videos ive seen it doesnt look bad. is it as good as the rating bleacher report gave it? i doubt it. but like i have been saying i think people base too much of their decisions off visuals.

ive watched videos both of people who run around and try to play it like live 10 and abuse the paint as well as people who try to run plays set screens and play at least some semblance of smart basketball. and the ones who play unintelligent bball are generally the ones really trashing the game hard. but when i watch the videos of people playing smart it looks like a solid fundamental game. is it a 10/10? far from it. but is it a 4.3/10? definitely not.

im about halfway through the shakedown video right now and im seeing both good and bad things. the bad things are mostly related to visuals though with the exception of one player clipping through the rim on one play. but i also see bad passes being tipped or stolen. i see shake trying to spam dribble moves and the defender staying with him not allowing him in the paint. and hes playing on default settings not even a high difficulty.

a few things that really hurt the game are the lack of a practice/tutorial mode and a few decisions of things being turned off by default. one thing that everyone mentions is that players dont move on offense if you dont run a play. well thats a setting that you have to turn on. poor decision by the devs to not only include it as an option but to have it off by default. but turning it on makes a big difference in freelance offense. they should also have play art on by default. a few of the reviews clearly didnt even look for it then counted it against them in the final score.

again im not saying this is a great basketball game. but it is a competent game that has potential. if they improve the visuals and make player movement smoother and more natural it would be much better. right now its probably around a 6-6.5/10. it has the core fundamentals of basketball down. i hope they continue on the path theyre on.
Old 11-21-2013, 12:39 PM   #261
Sean Payton: Retribution

jmood88's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
the reviews seem to say the same things but they contradict each other. its too easy to drive into the paint but there are too many blocks shots. well yea if you try to just charge the paint and dunk or layup without working for a good look i would hope you get blocked often. look at the last play shown in the gamespot video. he tries just forcing up a bad shot in the paint and gets blocked. thats realistic.

the issue with the team not running plays in the career mode is definitely a problem though. they need to fix that. you shouldnt have to press a button every time down to make the players run sets.
Being too easy to get into the paint is not contradicted by saying that blocks are overdone. Much like with Madden and how every DB have hands like Deion Sanders, Tiburon doesn't know how to actually make defense work so instead they just max out the ability for defenders to get blocks that they would never get if they could actually implement good AI.

If I went any bigger, it would not have properly fit with my equipment, so I had to optimize. I'm okay with it, but I also know what I'm missing with those five inches. :)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-21-2013, 12:46 PM   #262
MVP

GisherJohn24's Arena

OVR: 4

Why is operation sports waiting so long to release their review? We know what it will be. Just do it OS!
Old 11-21-2013, 12:47 PM   #263
MVP

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by GisherJohn24
Why is operation sports waiting so long to release their review? We know what it will be. Just do it OS!
Maybe they are actually trying to learn the game and give it a chance? That would be nice to see.
Old 11-21-2013, 12:49 PM   #264
Sean Payton: Retribution

jmood88's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by GisherJohn24
There have already been enough impressions from site staff members that you should know where they stand without them giving the game a score.

If I went any bigger, it would not have properly fit with my equipment, so I had to optimize. I'm okay with it, but I also know what I'm missing with those five inches. :)

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live »