Home

NBA Live 14 Reviews From Around the Web

This is a discussion on NBA Live 14 Reviews From Around the Web within the NBA Live forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 11-19-2013, 12:08 PM   #105
D* B**rs!

Boilerbuzz's Arena

OVR: 28
Re: IGN-NBA LIVE REVIEW

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaWolf
You dont call something garbage as a Professional videogame Journalist. BTW i paid 70€ for the game today, I think ill regret that...
Look. I agree - the game is not a 4.3. That's just WAY too harsh. But using certain terms in a video game review doesn't warrant "unprofessional".

Yeah, that one is BRUTAL. Maybe it was unprofessional. But I would call it that for other reasons other than calling is "garbage".
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-19-2013, 12:11 PM   #106
Pro

OVR: 8
Re: NBA Live 14 Reviews From Around the Web

I just hope they have a chance to build upon things for next year. It's great to have options. There is currently only one football game and one baseball game (that we know of). That just gets boring to me.
Old 11-19-2013, 12:28 PM   #107
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoTiCe_O
The game is a realistic simulation of basketball, bleacher report a site known for their basketball analysis and knowledge of the game gives it a 7.8 because they see the basketball realism in the game.

It's not just about the graphics but how the game plays from a purely basketball standpoint, and NBA Live delivers a solid basketball simulation. People are really spoiled by graphics and animations it annoying really. If you have a solid Bball I.Q and a basketball mind then you can see the potential in Live, and the amount of fun it could be with two solid players going at it.

I wish more people saw the Scott OG stream or at least he archived it, because the game looked better than any other stream I'd seen of Live, if you understand basketball strategy and tactics then you;ll like the game for what it is. A maybe raw, but solid sim of basketball, not just NBA basketball, but basketball in general.

*Waits for the wise guy to say "but you haven't even played it, stop deffnding EA man"*

I'm not defending EA but just commending someone for implementing core basketball tactics and strategies into a game with full control. I like the fact the game delivers a a solid basketball experience and the control is in my hands.
Why not just skip all this and say, "I'm a NBA Live fan, I was going to buy Live no matter what any reviews said, gameplay I saw, or how the demo played....and I will enjoy it...

This is FINE...I could respect that..

but these glowing reviews your giving of a game you haven touched is getting out of hand...this "oh, graphics and animation aren't everything" speech we've heard over and over (and over) just come off as you guys trying to convince yourselves..

It's ok to be a Live fan man...just say that...
Old 11-19-2013, 12:29 PM   #108
D* B**rs!

Boilerbuzz's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluent2332
1 - The spacing. Players go to the proper spots on the floor, don't crowd each other and generally stay out of each other's way. Corner players clear the post, wing players properly space the floor, etc.
They don't move, fluent. And the players are disproportionately smaller than they are supposed to be.

Quote:
2 - The triangle. You can get nice triangle action on the wing and create some different looks from that action.
This is a nebulous. Don't throw around basketball jargon without demonstrating your point. This statement is akin to saying you had a guy in the post posting up, a guy in the corner with the ball on wing. Then they did good stuff. Well, OK...

Quote:
3 - There doesn't seem to be much sliding, so footplanting looks to be improved.
OK, wow. This is dead wrong. Sorry man.

Quote:
4 - Running of different actions at the press of a button. Sean showed it off in the live stream and it was pretty nice. You can get pin downs, iso's, side pick and rolls, horns, etc. with the push of a button.
Which button is this? I haven't seen it. The 40+ page digital manual in the game is awesome. But I didn't see any such button.

Quote:
5 - The AI plays a realistic brand of basketball. Synergy, from what i understand, is not updated yet, but even at that, the teams were playing realistically, working the ball around, taking smart shots, etc.
THIS is the ONLY reason I decided to reply to this post. You and I have had a short discussion on Synergy/DNA and how the game works with or without it. No one has seen it in action yet. So how can you glean this from any of the videos and streams that have been posted?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluent2332
The game looks good to me. I haven't even passed judgement on the final product yet. Anyone who comes to concrete conclusions from watching some streams is a fool.
Man this is SUCH a hypocritical post. You should be the last one saying this. I don't disagree with the point, but coming from you? Come on man. You've been hyping the game since the E3 pre-rendered video.

I'm not trying to pile on you man. You're a very respectful poster, and I like that. Even if we don't agree. I'm just trying to understand some of the things you post. You sound knowledgeable enough in basketball. You sound like a fair minded dude. At least when it comes to Live. But not TOG. And I can't figure out why.
Old 11-19-2013, 12:32 PM   #109
MVP

OVR: 11

I think some of the reviews (and peoples comments) are based on NBA Live relative to 2k14. IF NBA live had been the only basketball game that could be made over the past 5-6 years, the reviews probably wouldnt be as harsh.. I think part of the low scores is because EA just doesn't get what makes a good (or decent) basketball game.. and the other part is that we all have another title in the same sport to compare it to.

It's like if you are a fat chick, with a pretty face and you go into a nightclub and you're literally the ONLY girl in there... someones going to hit on you... maybe even some really good looking guys when it's last call, and he's had a few too many... BUT when you're a fat chick with a pretty face and you walk into a bar and there's 100 other chicks in there... well... do you really expect the hottest guys in there to hit on you?

Again, I'm more dissapointed and embarrased for EA when it comes to Live because they KNOW they have competition.. and they know what the competition is doing.. and they know exactly WHY 2k hasnt had an average or bad review since it's inception on Dreamcast... they KNOW all of this.. yet they still put this game out. Then again, I know some ugly chicks who have convinced themselves they look really good.

At this point I think the devs are delusional.. OR they are actually decent and not being given the lattitude and means to make the basketball game they want to make. Did EA sports really think putting Kyrie Irving on the cover and having really good still images and slective footage of the game was going to stop bad reviews when people got their hands on the whole package????? I could expect something like this from the Madden team (which is a better football game that Live is a basketball game) because they have no competition.. but Live truly has no excuse.. and they took like two years off....

PSN = LordHveMercy08

XBL = Lord Hve Mercy

Add me now, because I don't like playing with little random 12 year olds.
Old 11-19-2013, 12:33 PM   #110
D* B**rs!

Boilerbuzz's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by GisherJohn24
i don't think the development cycle was as long as some people think they had.
Agreed. It certainly was NOT the 3 years people think. However, it certainly was a good amount more than 1.
Old 11-19-2013, 12:33 PM   #111
Banned

apollooff320's Arena

OVR: 9

I will just trust the Br review then the others. I've seen the twitch feeds and the presentation looks great but ugly graphics and animations. I would pay $40 for game not $60 though. At least I have a option for when I get sick of 2K14 and it's broken game modes.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-19-2013, 12:37 PM   #112
Rookie

OVR: 1

i will go by the bleacher report review. a 7 is a good game. has a few flaws here and there but is very much playable and enjoyable. i have watched many a gameplay and i would rate it around the same. obviously is not as pretty as 2k but it still looked like basketball. i also liked the post game better then 2k. what little post game either one has. if your in a heated contest online and all your worried about is how your character looks in replys i dont know what to tell ya. sports games are about gameplay first and graphics second.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live »