Home

(UPDATED) NBA Live 14 Demo Arrives on November 19th

This is a discussion on (UPDATED) NBA Live 14 Demo Arrives on November 19th within the NBA Live forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 11-11-2013, 06:54 AM   #89
MVP

OVR: 15
Re: (UPDATED) NBA Live 14 Demo Arrives on November 19th

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haval93
Some thought to put out there. Just because a game takes up a huge amount of space doesn't mean it has a crazy amount of content. One reason and probably the biggest is graphical assets, non-compressed textures and assets will take up a huge amount of space. Two big examples are Max Payne and Skyrim. Max Payne was a large game on the PC because of it's uncompressed textures. Same with Skyrim, they released a HD texture pack that was a couple GB's of data. Uncompressed audio files will do the same, and so does videos. In NBA Live's case they simply could of really compressed all their files while other games know they have more space and didn't want to since they haven't taken up the whole disc space. There are a lot of reasons going into how large a game size is. Forza 5 is releasing with only 200 cars and less tracks than Forza 4(Over 500 cars if I am not mistaken) and it is a much bigger game size compared to Forza 4. Anways sorry for the long post.
I get that, but knowing that you have the space for decompressed, data, audio..Why would you compress it? Wait, HD texture packs on the PC aren't next gen? Lol. Of course they are..that's why its taking up space. The pc has always been advance when compared to consoles. I'm sure the visuals look alot better on PC than they do Current Gen Consoles, Right?

Maybe they wanted to optimize loading times, but with so much space and much better ram, it seems like 8gb,9gb is too small for a game. It most likely is. I remember when a few launch ps3 titles had 4 or 5 GB and bluray games were 25GB at the time. So as time goes on, I suspect it'll get bigger..no doubt.

But the reason I said what I said about the size, was because you look at the video, the animations and the artwork and you can infer that live 13 was the foundation of the game. To me, its obvious and they took a new engine and built on it. That's why I think it's small in size, cause of a current gen foundation and how barebones it is.

Not saying I'm right, just saying that's my opinion.
Old 11-11-2013, 09:37 AM   #90
Pro

Haval93's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boilerbuzz
This is actually quite a reasonable assumption. You are right. You can have anywhere from a 4x to 10x compression ratio depending on the file formats. The ONLY problem I have with this theory, though, is that with SO much room available on the disk, why give yourself the unneeded overhead to decompress that data. Since games are installed, there isn't much of a win in speeding up the reading from disk either.

Good point, though.
I don't understand the unneeded overhead to compress the data neither. My thought or rational is that it's goes back to Microsoft's orginial plan of always online, knowing that if most user were going to go digital only this generation, games have to be compress because of download size and bandwidth. I for sure as hell won't download 40 gig game, it would take me about a whole day and eat up a majority of my monthly bandwidth. Knowing that EA was one of Microsoft's compentents of always online, they could have told all their teams to compress as much as possible because of this. Example, for Europeans who buy Day One editions of the Xbox One they FIFA free as a digital download, I'm pretty sure no one wants to wait and download a huge game when they first buy a new console, so compressing all the data would be the best solution and probably was set as a standard for all three EA Sports games. Just my thought, I could be wrong though.
Old 11-11-2013, 09:46 AM   #91
MVP

El_Poopador's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: A Fully Featured NBA Live 14 Demo is Coming at PS4 Launch

Quote:
Originally Posted by yungflo
there isn't, but no way this is strictly next gen when its that small, imo. Yeah, mext gen has better ram, better processors but aesthetics aside, all that could be handled on last gen, cause it fits on a last gen disc. So why not just release it for current gen?
this makes no sense. just because my pc has a dvd drive doesnt mean the rest of the hardware is up for running a high end game. disk size does not mean game quality. it means content. thats it. 2k has tons of content like audio clips for interviews face scans and textures, etc. go install nba 2k14 on your pc and look at how large the folder is. then install some mods overtop and watch how much larger the folder gets. the game itself isnt any different, but there is a lot more content, and in many cases that content is much larger.

to insinuate a game is a port because it doesnt take up a ton of space, or to assume another game isnt a port because it does, makes no sense. code takes up minimal space on the disc. so please can we all just stop with the disk space == game quality arguments?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-11-2013, 09:48 AM   #92
MVP

El_Poopador's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haval93
I don't understand the unneeded overhead to compress the data neither. My thought or rational is that it's goes back to Microsoft's orginial plan of always online, knowing that if most user were going to go digital only this generation, games have to be compress because of download size and bandwidth. I for sure as hell won't download 40 gig game, it would take me about a whole day and eat up a majority of my monthly bandwidth. Knowing that EA was one of Microsoft's compentents of always online, they could have told all their teams to compress as much as possible because of this. Example, for Europeans who buy Day One editions of the Xbox One they FIFA free as a digital download, I'm pretty sure no one wants to wait and download a huge game when they first buy a new console, so compressing all the data would be the best solution and probably was set as a standard for all three EA Sports games. Just my thought, I could be wrong though.
that would make sense, but both next gen consoles have advertised being able to play the game while its downloading, so you dont need to wait for the full thing to download before you can play it.
Old 11-11-2013, 10:13 AM   #93
My Momma's Son

bigeastbumrush's Arena

OVR: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Poopador
this makes no sense. just because my pc has a dvd drive doesnt mean the rest of the hardware is up for running a high end game. disk size does not mean game quality. it means content. thats it. 2k has tons of content like audio clips for interviews face scans and textures, etc. go install nba 2k14 on your pc and look at how large the folder is. then install some mods overtop and watch how much larger the folder gets. the game itself isnt any different, but there is a lot more content, and in many cases that content is much larger.

to insinuate a game is a port because it doesnt take up a ton of space, or to assume another game isnt a port because it does, makes no sense. code takes up minimal space on the disc. so please can we all just stop with the disk space == game quality arguments?
Old 11-11-2013, 10:14 AM   #94
D* B**rs!

Boilerbuzz's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Poopador

I ready to agree up until the last sentence.

1. Higher Rez texture does relate to graphical quality.
2. More audio assets does equate to more variety which is a facet of quality.
3. More model detail in things like player models and stadiums does relate to graphical quality.

But forget that, the fear unrelated was that is seems the assets didn't change from old gen as much as I would have hoped or expecting after being told that the game can't be done on old gen. That's all.
Old 11-11-2013, 05:48 PM   #95
Pro

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boilerbuzz
That's almost a 5x difference! That's insane.
Skyrim pc iso was only like 5gb and imo it's the biggest and better game I've ever played, so size doesn't always mean better quality. But these EA games scream "PORT" everywhere, just look at fifa 14...
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live »