Home

(UPDATED) NBA Live 14 Demo Arrives on November 19th

This is a discussion on (UPDATED) NBA Live 14 Demo Arrives on November 19th within the NBA Live forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 11-09-2013, 04:58 PM   #81
Pro

FloorGeneral's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: A Fully Featured NBA Live 14 Demo is Coming at PS4 Launch

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigeastbumrush
I don't know how it works and I'm sure most of us don't know either.

To assume that something is a port because the install is large is a reach. Besides, what would Live 14 be porting from? Nothing.

Could it be that they're using more cloud/server functionality? Who knows.

I'm going all digital. So to hear that FIFA is only 8 GB brings a smile to my face.
Fam, 8gb is positively Current Gen. 12gb is Current Gen. Those sizes are worrisome if you're expecting a leap from CG to NG. As far as Live, I already said I can't speak for it, but I know I, for one, find it kind of scary that one company was geared solely for Next Gen, while one was not, and the one that wasn't has a size that's 5 times bigger than the one that was.

And cloud functionality? No. They're not gonna make the download size 9gb, then let the other 30+gb hang out "in the cloud". It's not gonna work like that.

Who knows...maybe EA found the secret to developing on the NG consoles, and is able to fit all their content into the size of a DL DVD. If you believe that, well, I have a few bridges for sale. More likely, is they're minimally up****** their games this year for NG (I mean, we all have seen the Madden videos right?).
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-09-2013, 05:13 PM   #82
MVP

MarvinOida's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: (UPDATED) NBA Live 14 Demo Arrives on November 19th

9gb on NBA Live? That's like Current Gen. This is seriously sounding like this is a current gen project brought to Next Gen with enhanced ______. That's kinda bad vs 43 GB on the other game. But it's year 1 of a new building project, after a 3 year building project.

Unless if this game is super mega packed with content, I guess the game is less-featured. If this game has a lot of stuff I guess they found the "Storage of Youth" with some compressor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-09-2013, 05:55 PM   #83
My Momma's Son

bigeastbumrush's Arena

OVR: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloorGeneral
Fam, 8gb is positively Current Gen. 12gb is Current Gen. Those sizes are worrisome if you're expecting a leap from CG to NG. As far as Live, I already said I can't speak for it, but I know I, for one, find it kind of scary that one company was geared solely for Next Gen, while one was not, and the one that wasn't has a size that's 5 times bigger than the one that was.

And cloud functionality? No. They're not gonna make the download size 9gb, then let the other 30+gb hang out "in the cloud". It's not gonna work like that.

Who knows...maybe EA found the secret to developing on the NG consoles, and is able to fit all their content into the size of a DL DVD. If you believe that, well, I have a few bridges for sale. More likely, is they're minimally up****** their games this year for NG (I mean, we all have seen the Madden videos right?).
You're saying this as if there is a gigabyte floor that needs to be reached.

Like I said, who knows for sure. BF4 requires 35GB. Is that a minimal update from them when the game is also on CG?

We'll all find out next week.
Old 11-09-2013, 11:33 PM   #84
D* B**rs!

Boilerbuzz's Arena

OVR: 28
(UPDATED) NBA Live 14 Demo Arrives on November 19th

Quote:
Originally Posted by yungflo
Internet providers need to higher the cap. It'll be nearly impossible to not go over the cap if someone is going strictly digital. I'm in the us and my cap is at 150Gb

And yeah 9gb is last gen. So I find it funny when people get blasted for calling this game a last grlen title look alike.. When the file size is closer to last green lol

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
I'm one if the few that is fine with porting up. It makes sense. Just don't try to sell me on being totally rebuilt. That's all I ask. I'm cool with whatever as long as you're improving and don't lie to me.

Last edited by Boilerbuzz; 11-09-2013 at 11:39 PM.
Old 11-09-2013, 11:38 PM   #85
D* B**rs!

Boilerbuzz's Arena

Quote:
I highly doubt the guys loading content would be gameplay designers.
I didn't imply gameplay designers at all. First, the "content" you mention needs to be designed managed and created. This isn't about a couple of monkeys editing spreadsheets. Or is it? If it is, this feature will underwhelm. Also, Live 15 needs more love in MORE than just gameplay design.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-10-2013, 01:32 AM   #86
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:
You're saying this as if there is a gigabyte floor that needs to be reached.

Like I said, who knows for sure. BF4 requires 35GB. Is that a minimal update from them when the game is also on CG?

We'll all find out next week.
there isn't, but no way this is strictly next gen when its that small, imo. Yeah, mext gen has better ram, better processors but aesthetics aside, all that could be handled on last gen, cause it fits on a last gen disc. So why not just release it for current gen?

My only assumption this is nba live 13..but re-tweaked and reworked for the next gen console. They had a base for nba live 13, unfortunately it was unpolished and had negative feedback. They took the core of nba live 13 and said hey, lets work on it some more.

I find it impossible to build from scratch for a sports title. 2k included. There are so many animations captured in last gen alone. I think over 3000 for 2k? Who knows how many for live? You mean to tell me you guys scrapped those and went back to the drawing board, knowing your game has to meet launch window? Come on. That doesn't sound realistic, especially for EA who said their dev team hasn't been together that long.

there is no cloud functionality for this game. Gaikai doesn't work like that, at least not yet from sony's part. there's no way they'd be streaming 20gb

I think this is nba live 13 improbed. No, not nba live 13.5 I just think nba live 13 was the fundamental base or the skeleton of nba live 14 to build on. It certainly looks that way.

again, That's only an assumption but you know what they say about assumptions lol.

Last edited by yungflo; 11-10-2013 at 01:41 AM.
Old 11-10-2013, 08:40 PM   #87
Pro

Haval93's Arena

OVR: 13

Some thought to put out there. Just because a game takes up a huge amount of space doesn't mean it has a crazy amount of content. One reason and probably the biggest is graphical assets, non-compressed textures and assets will take up a huge amount of space. Two big examples are Max Payne and Skyrim. Max Payne was a large game on the PC because of it's uncompressed textures. Same with Skyrim, they released a HD texture pack that was a couple GB's of data. Uncompressed audio files will do the same, and so does videos. In NBA Live's case they simply could of really compressed all their files while other games know they have more space and didn't want to since they haven't taken up the whole disc space. There are a lot of reasons going into how large a game size is. Forza 5 is releasing with only 200 cars and less tracks than Forza 4(Over 500 cars if I am not mistaken) and it is a much bigger game size compared to Forza 4. Anways sorry for the long post.
Old 11-11-2013, 03:47 AM   #88
D* B**rs!

Boilerbuzz's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haval93
Some thought to put out there. Just because a game takes up a huge amount of space doesn't mean it has a crazy amount of content. One reason and probably the biggest is graphical assets, non-compressed textures and assets will take up a huge amount of space. Two big examples are Max Payne and Skyrim. Max Payne was a large game on the PC because of it's uncompressed textures. Same with Skyrim, they released a HD texture pack that was a couple GB's of data. Uncompressed audio files will do the same, and so does videos. In NBA Live's case they simply could of really compressed all their files while other games know they have more space and didn't want to since they haven't taken up the whole disc space. There are a lot of reasons going into how large a game size is. Forza 5 is releasing with only 200 cars and less tracks than Forza 4(Over 500 cars if I am not mistaken) and it is a much bigger game size compared to Forza 4. Anways sorry for the long post.
This is actually quite a reasonable assumption. You are right. You can have anywhere from a 4x to 10x compression ratio depending on the file formats. The ONLY problem I have with this theory, though, is that with SO much room available on the disk, why give yourself the unneeded overhead to decompress that data. Since games are installed, there isn't much of a win in speeding up the reading from disk either.

Good point, though.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live »