Home

How NBA Live Could Dethrone NBA 2K

This is a discussion on How NBA Live Could Dethrone NBA 2K within the NBA Live forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 10-18-2013, 11:09 AM   #113
Banned

TheBuddyHobbs's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: How NBA Live Could Dethrone NBA 2K

It will take a lot more than what they showed today.
Old 10-19-2013, 01:02 PM   #114
MVP

lnin0's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
By focusing on delighting one segment of the community at a time, they can win over different groups of gamers and convert them into loyal customers.
I agree that EA's approach is to delight one segment of the community first and foremost. I think one feature spells out the group of gamers EA wants - UT kiddies outfitted with their parents' credit card and seeking to buy instant gratification.
Quote:
To many basketball fans and gamers, nothing captures the sport's allure quite like a tight crossover leading to broken ankles and a high-flying dunk. By making this part of NBA Live as rewarding as possible, EA can start winning people over.
Indeed one of 2K's shortcomings has been its learning curve. 2K has always respected the full game of basketball and not just the highlight reel.

EA can set itself apart by building a game that is offensively overpowered, full of flashy, high-flying dunks that allows even the least knowledgeable basketball fan to feel like Jordan going up against a McDonald's HS All-Star. This is a proven model that EA is all too familiar with.

The question from the basketball fans perspective is - is this really a brick-by-brick strategy OR once EA has a foundation built from gold bricks do they ever come back and finish the house ? If history serves as a precedent, EA will just buy everyone else's house on the block and raises the rent to make theirs look the most attractive.

Last edited by lnin0; 10-19-2013 at 01:14 PM.
Old 10-19-2013, 01:14 PM   #115
My Momma's Son

bigeastbumrush's Arena

OVR: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnin0
I agree that EA's approach is to delight one segment of the community first and foremost. I think one feature spells out the group of gamers EA wants - UT kiddies outfitted with their parents' credit card and seeking to buy instant gratification.Indeed one of 2K's shortcomings has been its learning curve. 2K has always respected the full game of basketball and not just the highlight reel.

EA can set itself apart by building a game that is offensively overpowered, full of flashy, high-flying dunks that allows even the least knowledgeable basketball fan to feel like Jordan going up against a McDonald's HS All-Star. This is a proven model that EA is all too familiar with.

The question from the basketball fans perspective is - is this really a brick by brick strategy or once EA has a foundation built from gold bricks do they ever come back and finish the house ? If history is any answer, EA just buys everyone else's house on the block and raises the rent to make their look the most attractive.
Great analysis.

Time will tell if/when they release commercials.

All they have to do is showcase the dribbling (like the Kyrie dribbling CGI) and it will suck people in. The game can play like dog crap but people will flock to it because (and I can't believe I'm saying this) dribbling is fun.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-19-2013, 01:28 PM   #116
yellow

23's Arena

OVR: 65

So in other words yall telling me they should just come out and say theyre just making a pick up and play arcade game?
Old 10-19-2013, 01:53 PM   #117
My Momma's Son

bigeastbumrush's Arena

OVR: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23
So in other words yall telling me they should just come out and say theyre just making a pick up and play arcade game?

Come on man. You know the formula.

How much strategy is involved in Madden?

They released a trailer yesterday talking about 3,000 animations and super intelligence of the players.

I think it's a farce. But even if it is true, the majority of people playing will only care if it's fun.

If fun is the only thing you got going for yourself, work it. Because they can't claim anything else. Hence the 3 year plan.
Old 10-19-2013, 01:56 PM   #118
yellow

23's Arena

OVR: 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigeastbumrush

They released a trailer yesterday talking about 3,000 animations and super intelligence of the players.

I think it's a farce. But even if it is true, the majority of people playing will only care if it's fun.

If fun is the only thing you got going for yourself, work it. Because they can't claim anything else. Hence the 3 year plan.
The thing is there is only one football game out there.

They can lie all day but when its said and done they own the license. Not the case here.
Old 10-28-2013, 08:12 PM   #119
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigeastbumrush

I think that's the way its worked with video games for a while now.
Old 10-28-2013, 08:59 PM   #120
MVP

OVR: 9

Get Online Leagues right and get my money!

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live »