Home

OS Roundtable: Does Live Stand a Chance?

This is a discussion on OS Roundtable: Does Live Stand a Chance? within the NBA Live forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 10-15-2013, 11:52 AM   #193
D* B**rs!

Boilerbuzz's Arena

OVR: 28
Re: OS Roundtable: Does Live Stand a Chance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GisherJohn24
I think it will sell. Specially if reviews are good
To sell enough to satisfy EA, it will have to sell enough. Good reviews alone won't make it sell that much man. Many good games with great reviews don't sell. Especially when there is another product that directly competes with it.
Old 10-15-2013, 12:28 PM   #194
All Star

Gosens6's Arena

OVR: 26

When the developer of the game himself comes out and says they're not where they want to be with this series yet, do you really think game reviewers are going to give this title good reviews? If you're not confident in your own product, neither should anyone else be.

It's sad what's happened with Live, because this is the game I grew up on, but they did it to themselves. Bad decisions business wise, and development wise. They're in this position because of no one but themselves.
Old 10-15-2013, 12:45 PM   #195
Banned

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gosens6
When the developer of the game himself comes out and says they're not where they want to be with this series yet, do you really think game reviewers are going to give this title good reviews? If you're not confident in your own product, neither should anyone else be.

It's sad what's happened with Live, because this is the game I grew up on, but they did it to themselves. Bad decisions business wise, and development wise. They're in this position because of no one but themselves.
You failed to mention what he said immediately after that.

"It's not exactly where it needs to be yet, but that's the exciting part."

I don't think any developer should say the game is where they want to be. They should always strive to be better.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-15-2013, 12:48 PM   #196
All Star

Gosens6's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skopin
You failed to mention what he said immediately after that.

"It's not exactly where it needs to be yet, but that's the exciting part."

I don't think any developer should say the game is where they want to be. They should always strive to be better.
I get that, trust me I really do. But if this is supposed to be THE game to get you back on track, and you've had more than enough time to plan and develop, it should be where you want it to be. It will NOT be good for them to start of this generation of consoles with a game that they're not satisfied with. Not with the competition at the top of their game, and not with them trying to win back some of their fanbase that forgot all about them.

This game needs to be good, it cannot be step 1 of another 3 year plan, they'll just be letting 2K gain even more ground than they already have, that's all i'm saying.
Old 10-15-2013, 06:15 PM   #197
MVP

GisherJohn24's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boilerbuzz
To sell enough to satisfy EA, it will have to sell enough. Good reviews alone won't make it sell that much man. Many good games with great reviews don't sell. Especially when there is another product that directly competes with it.
I disagree. 2 nba games back in the day that were at least good went head to head and both made money. There is a huge fan base for nba. When Live was good it went head to head with NBA ShootOut and eventually 2k. And both did well for years. . 06 was when Live went to crap on the 360. Took it about 4 years to make a decent comeback with 10. Well, almost 4 years later, we might see a good game again. Good games sell by good reviews and word of mouth. I hope both 2k and Live are great
Old 10-15-2013, 06:20 PM   #198
yellow

23's Arena

OVR: 65

Dude live 10 made them go th3 hockey route even though it qas a pretty decent rated game and the best in the series. You can't disagree with something that happened

Galaxy Note 2
Old 10-16-2013, 04:45 PM   #199
MVP

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gosens6
I get that, trust me I really do. But if this is supposed to be THE game to get you back on track, and you've had more than enough time to plan and develop, it should be where you want it to be. It will NOT be good for them to start of this generation of consoles with a game that they're not satisfied with. Not with the competition at the top of their game, and not with them trying to win back some of their fanbase that forgot all about them.

This game needs to be good, it cannot be step 1 of another 3 year plan, they'll just be letting 2K gain even more ground than they already have, that's all i'm saying.
Live 14 is not going to be the game that gets them fully on track in all likelihood. However, if they do one thing REALLY well, like say, dribbling, then they have something noteworthy to build off. If they take that approach with their other gameplay systems every year, they could have a stellar game if they stay hungry in 3-4 years.

If they nail dribbling but the game sucks, it's still a major accomplishment, as that is probably one of the hardest things to get right in a game. Of course while they're shoring up the other systems and basic basketball, the other product can focus on weaknesses in their dribbling model (which is good for everyone).
Old 10-16-2013, 05:50 PM   #200
My Momma's Son

bigeastbumrush's Arena

OVR: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundown
Live 14 is not going to be the game that gets them fully on track in all likelihood. However, if they do one thing REALLY well, like say, dribbling, then they have something noteworthy to build off. If they take that approach with their other gameplay systems every year, they could have a stellar game if they stay hungry in 3-4 years.

If they nail dribbling but the game sucks, it's still a major accomplishment, as that is probably one of the hardest things to get right in a game. Of course while they're shoring up the other systems and basic basketball, the other product can focus on weaknesses in their dribbling model (which is good for everyone).
I'm sorry but that's a cop-out.

If they nail dribbling it's a success? Dribbling?

Man, the game will be a success if it is animating (without major bugs) smoothly and has an above average dynasty mode. Those are the things that will keep people playing.

Dribbling is just an icing on the cake factor.

It was NEVER an issue with the Live series. Never.

Sad day when we give a game credit for dribbling. My man Boozer can rocket dunk from the FT line but he has a sick handle to get there?

Nah.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live »