Home

How NBA Live Could Dethrone NBA 2K

This is a discussion on How NBA Live Could Dethrone NBA 2K within the NBA Live forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 10-10-2013, 05:16 PM   #89
MVP

OVR: 15
Re: How NBA Live Could Dethrone NBA 2K

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoAwesome
Everybody saying Live has no shot of dethroning 2k are being ridiculous. I bet yall are the same people who said 2k will never dethrone Live. LOOK WHERE WE ARE NOW!
I think people saying it isn't possible with live 14. Its a process, not a home run, which is essentially what the article is saying, but a lot of people don't read. Lol. Given the history though, 2k always has been criticially acclaimed higher than live since it came into existence. Just because something sells more, doesn't mean its better. 2k didn't have the backing it back then it has now.

Personally, I think live will turn things around like fifa did. I don't know if it will be better than 2k. I still think Wang is a boss. Live 10 is an example and Nba 2k11 is an example[after he came back and 2k9 and ten weren't as highly rated] but we'll see. I'm excited. I want to see both companies push the envelope. Without competion, I think take two has cruised on some of their efforts [nba2k9, nba2k10, and nba2k14 current gen]
Old 10-10-2013, 07:42 PM   #90
Banned

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boilerbuzz
Dude, if you're REALLY trying to go on the premise that a defender primarily follows the ball, then your knowledge of basketball needs to be questioned. The ball is no more than a tell. Defenders don't look at the ball. You're coached to NOT follow the ball. You'd be a idiot to move on the ball. Now, you DO use the ball as a clue to what the dribbler will do. No one denies that. Showing a video of someone getting BROKE actually defeats your point.
The point of the video was to show that dribble moves can be effective. I never said that all defenders move based on the ball. I said that sizeups can get the defender off balance to make actual movement more effective.
Old 10-10-2013, 07:48 PM   #91
MVP

sirjam's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husband73
Keep dreaming it's not gonna happen. Nba2k14 plays the closest to Nba, plus with With next gen graphics.. C'MON SON!!
this won't be popular and won't happen. but if 2k would just slow the game down it would be like the nba. as it is the pace is way to fast. now I know this won't happen bc only sim heads would enjoy this type of game but it would be perfect if it did.
so on topic of how, thats how live could takeover. make 5 on 5 gameplay smooth and defense a priority and maybe that could happen.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-10-2013, 08:55 PM   #92
Rookie

UNabomb's Arena

OVR: 0

I don't think that NBA Live will dethrone NBA 2k anytime soon,even when i think that NBA Live will finally deliver this year,NBA 2k will reign supreme
Old 10-11-2013, 05:12 AM   #93
Rookie

OVR: 2

At this point, the only way live can dethrone 2k is to either get an exclusive license with the nba, or hire someone to assassinate the developers of the nba 2k series. Both are unlikely.
Old 10-11-2013, 05:21 AM   #94
Rookie

OVR: 1

To those arguing about whether live will be a victim of stagnant, size up dribbling - I just don't think Live will fall in that way, soley based on this vid man.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zqus9LL3_Uo

The movement of dribbling looks legit this year, at least Kyrie's. I believe they said you could branch out of a move at anytime, I'd like to see that actually being done in the next showings instead of written and preached. I wonder if that size up/jordan move can be changed out of. If not then that's just weak.

And I'm sorry, I know this will offend the 2kers, but it's my truth. I can't think of a game more of a victim to what's being argued than 2k13 - where players literally fall off tootsie-roll, size-ups and standstills as simple as a change of hands as if they've been shot. It was like that kid at the park who thinks he can dribble and cross people, looking down at his dribble the whole time.

Fixed now in 2k14, but it was bad in 13.
Old 10-11-2013, 09:54 AM   #95
My Momma's Son

bigeastbumrush's Arena

OVR: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halfamazing
To those arguing about whether live will be a victim of stagnant, size up dribbling - I just don't think Live will fall in that way, soley based on this vid man.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zqus9LL3_Uo

The movement of dribbling looks legit this year, at least Kyrie's. I believe they said you could branch out of a move at anytime, I'd like to see that actually being done in the next showings instead of written and preached. I wonder if that size up/jordan move can be changed out of. If not then that's just weak.

And I'm sorry, I know this will offend the 2kers, but it's my truth. I can't think of a game more of a victim to what's being argued than 2k13 - where players literally fall off tootsie-roll, size-ups and standstills as simple as a change of hands as if they've been shot. It was like that kid at the park who thinks he can dribble and cross people, looking down at his dribble the whole time.

Fixed now in 2k14, but it was bad in 13.
Look. It's time to put this dribbling nonsense to bed.

I'm all for signature dribbling. I think we all are. And I think it's a good idea that the Live crew is borrowing some of the "ball physics" concepts from FIFA using shared technology.

But dribbling was never a sore point for the Live series. If anything, it was one of their advantages going back to the implementation of Freestyle vs IsoMotion.

So, in essence, Live has improved one of their already strong points. Kudos.

But it's seriously time to stop all the talk about size ups and breaking ankles because a regulation NBA game has very few perimeter clear out size up moments during a game. It's a pick and roll league.

That being said, what has been done to improve Live's weakest points which is player animations? The only trailer we saw had Raymond Felton being stuck in an animation. He didn't even move.

Do you care about that or is it just about how you can Shammgod your way to the hole?

The Live team has done nothing in my opinion that warrants a purchase, besides actually releasing the game.

Until they show 10 guys on a court animating fluidly together, they can flush this entire dribbling agenda down the toilet along with all of their other buzzwords and rhetoric.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-11-2013, 12:42 PM   #96
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigeastbumrush
Look. It's time to put this dribbling nonsense to bed.

I'm all for signature dribbling. I think we all are. And I think it's a good idea that the Live crew is borrowing some of the "ball physics" concepts from FIFA using shared technology.

But dribbling was never a sore point for the Live series. If anything, it was one of their advantages going back to the implementation of Freestyle vs IsoMotion.

So, in essence, Live has improved one of their already strong points. Kudos.

But it's seriously time to stop all the talk about size ups and breaking ankles because a regulation NBA game has very few perimeter clear out size up moments during a game. It's a pick and roll league.

That being said, what has been done to improve Live's weakest points which is player animations? The only trailer we saw had Raymond Felton being stuck in an animation. He didn't even move.

Do you care about that or is it just about how you can Shammgod your way to the hole?

The Live team has done nothing in my opinion that warrants a purchase, besides actually releasing the game.

Until they show 10 guys on a court animating fluidly together, they can flush this entire dribbling agenda down the toilet along with all of their other buzzwords and rhetoric.
I don't think Felton was stuck in a animation because player motion matters. Of course its all written but I think we should hold judgment until we see it in action but based on what they say players will get penalized for making unrealistic movements.

Last edited by Jay Jay; 10-11-2013 at 12:48 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live »