Home

NBA 2K14 Hands-On Preview From Gamescom (DaWolf)

This is a discussion on NBA 2K14 Hands-On Preview From Gamescom (DaWolf) within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 08-23-2013, 10:41 PM   #49
MVP

Taer's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: NBA 2K14 Hands-On Preview From Gamescom (DaWolf)

Thank you for your insights DaWolf.

There are a lot of encouraging things you point out. Passing and more responsive defense will be something I am absolutely looking forward to, as I really enjoy doing both.

One area that no reviewers have given feedback on and I'd love to hear more about from you or the others is the transition aspects of the game. Are they smoother and more natural feeling?

Have they made improvements to the fast break situations?

Passing is faster, but how about receiving? Do players still bobble the ball in awkward ways like they do in 2k13?

Finally, is pace finally more represented? I've always felt that 2k's gameplay reflected the slower half-court set pace types of teams much better then the faster paced teams. Can you "feel" the difference when playing a Denver team versus a slower more set team?

Thanks for taking the time and effort on providing feedback.
Old 08-23-2013, 11:25 PM   #50
MVP

OVR: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by liberaluser
I usually find that even minor improvements in NBA 2K feel like major improvements compared to other more stagnant sports franchises. Presentation is already amazing so I can forgive them if it feels the same.

Hearing that defense and passing speed feels noticeably better makes me happy. Making spacing adjustable sounds like a very good idea that I hope they follow through with.
I'd love for recovery speed and general momentum to be adjustable too. Or maybe it is already. Quickness setting?
Old 08-24-2013, 12:03 AM   #51
Banned

2K is sick, but 2K12 and 2K13 just made me want to play 2K11 more. Honestly - 2K11 is an amazing balance of sim and button mashing. 2K11. SMH - 2K needs to go back to that formula. Contact, check. Defense, check. Spacing, check. Just add the bounce pass button, graphics improvement, and some relative speed ratings to open the fast break and you have the perfect game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-24-2013, 12:55 AM   #52
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: NBA 2K14 Hands-On Preview From Gamescom (DaWolf)

idk how people talk about missing 2k11.

people hopstepping all gm with yao and dwight or pump faking with kobe

no thanks
Old 08-24-2013, 01:06 AM   #53
Ion6 Studios

OVR: 5
Thanks for preview...a few questions:
1. Are volleyball like big blocks in?
2. What about mid-air collisions? Are they improved?
3. How does it feel the transition from balling 2 shooting? Is it more smooth than 2k13?
4. Did you see any signature dribbling/layup new anim?

Thx!
Old 08-24-2013, 01:15 AM   #54
MVP

Jrocc23's Arena

OVR: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seidowskyy
idk how people talk about missing 2k11.

people hopstepping all gm with yao and dwight or pump faking with kobe

no thanks
What's your point? It's exploits in all of the 2Ks, but I felt like gameplay wise it was balanced. The hopstep and the spin dunk was the only gimmicks in the game that couldn't really be stopped. Everything else could.

I don't know what pump faking with Kobe you're talking about. Pretty sure it could be contained with good defense.

NBA 2K11
XtremeXplicit Crew
Ranked

Check us out: http://www.youtube.com/jroccdagameboy
Old 08-24-2013, 01:23 AM   #55
Cheeseproof.com

quehouston's Arena

OVR: 14
Reaaaallly hoping the spacing/defensive recovery isn't still an issue. That and the physics were my personal gripes from 2k13.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-24-2013, 02:29 AM   #56
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrocc23
What's your point? It's exploits in all of the 2Ks, but I felt like gameplay wise it was balanced. The hopstep and the spin dunk was the only gimmicks in the game that couldn't really be stopped. Everything else could.

I don't know what pump faking with Kobe you're talking about. Pretty sure it could be contained with good defense.
Those are pretty huge exploits.

The thing is 2k11's perimeter defense by way of bumping was patently illegal. There would be six fouls called on each possession. I liked where subsequent games went with the perimeter defense.

It did have incredibly immersive graphics though. I really thought the overhaul took several steps back in 2k12 and beyond.

Anyway, here's hoping next gen 2k14 plays like an improved, well patched 2k13 and looks phenomenal.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »