Home

E3 2013: NBA Live 14 Hands-On

This is a discussion on E3 2013: NBA Live 14 Hands-On within the NBA Live forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 06-13-2013, 05:50 PM   #145
Rookie

OVR: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by tril
ok. so the only differences is you don't get stuck in animations. but IMO the mechanics sound the same as 2k.
as far as not being stuck in animations how is that possible without physics and natural limits being involved.
one can not start a certain move then stop it mid way then do another. certain things have to play through. its physically impossible to bounce a ball between ones leg and stop it once the ball leaves your hand, just to do a cross over. now if your stringing moves together, then again what is different. and again the ball being independent. really wasn't that in 2k12 and 2k13. they toned it down in 2k13.
and as far as hands being independent, will I have user control of both hands. will I be able to push a defender back with one hand, while I dribble with my other hand, and again if its user controlled it has to be animation based to some extent
as far as defenders adjusting with Synergy, etc, again a nice feature. that is what seems different, but again will this be that much different than a daily stat update feature. and didn't 2k implement something similar a few years ago.

I just see similarities, and those similarities would have to exist cause they exist in basketball.

anyway not knocking Live but man give me something meaningful in features, something that will differentiate your product. again SYNERGY seems to be that feature. but its sill a wait and see.
well 2k claim they have something like synergy and if you played the past three and Ea's games you would no they not even close between the as far the synergy thing, two 2k dribble system does not give you that much freedom..and Ea is planning on putting physics in dribble system which is apart of the bounce tek. The ball is independent to a certain extent in 2k but not like its going to or maybe be in EA's game. Just to make this short Ea is taken what you already have and taken it to another level. As far proof go to the different gaming sites, they break it down for you. At the end of the day this feature is not going to make ppl want this game
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-13-2013, 05:55 PM   #146
Rookie

NBA Live 14 developer Sea O'Brien said that "dribbling hasn't been done right" in basketball games yet. And he's right. Usually, you pull off a dribble move and get stuck in the animation. Good players -- especially online -- will see your animation, know how many moves there will be in it, and then know when to make their move. They read it perfectly.
NBA Live 14 sets out to fix that. And I must say, the dribbling and ball handling is everything they say it is.
With the Ignite engine, there are over 1,000 new animation, which makes ball handling look and feel authentic. Gone is ball warping, where the ball floats across the floor because of the lack of animations. Each of the ball, hands and feet have their own physics and animations, and the ball actually leaves the ball handler's hands. What's great is that the player now has total control of the ball. The basketball will not switch hands unless directed to by the player.
Developers are going to say everything and anything to hype you up for their game. So when I got my hands on the PlayStation 4 controller they had set up for me to use at their station, I was eager to see how NBA Live 14 would perform. I'm happy to say that it's smooth, intuitive and full of possibilities. Those skilled with the analog sticks will absolutely love the new dribbling system in the NBA Live 14.
There are six inputs for dribbling, each assigned to a different "flick" of the right analog stick. Each flick is a different move, and there's absolutely no stutter or lag from the flick input to the execution. After those six dribbling inputs, if you hold down 'L' and perform flicks with the right analog stick, you get signature dribble moves of NBA stars.
Available to us was gameplay with Kyrie Irving to show off the new ball handling. Kyrie had his own six unique dribble moves, but right now there are over 40 signature sets of dribble moves in pre-alpha -- from the likes of Steve Nash, Carmelo Anthony and Brandon Jennings, among others. Each of them have six unique dribble moves assigned to the flicks, with different speeds, and defenders react differently to each one from each star.
And if your sick with the stick, dedication to mastering the new system will yield some nice results. You can combo up all of the dribble moves with the right analog stick. Stuff like going from a crossover to a spin, all done real-time without a queue up of dribble moves. To me, though, the biggest deal is being able to switch the hand that the ball is in, simply by flicking left or right on the analog stick. Doing so again will give you a nice little hesitation move. And since you're not stuck in pre-set animations anymore, you can shoot the ball at anytime, keeping the defender off guard.
All of this creates a nice little back and forth between the ball handler and the defender, who has also received AI upgrades. But there will be more information on that later.
I walked away from NBA Live 14 very impressed with the little time I had with the game. EA Sports' Ignite engine is the real deal, and dribbling is everything it has been hyped to be. If the dribbling is any indication of how good the five-on-five will be, then NBA Live 14 will change the standard of basketball games for a new console generation.

source:http://www.gamezone.com/previews/2013/06/12/e3-2013-preview-nba-live-14-has-some-mad-stick-skills
Old 06-13-2013, 05:58 PM   #147
Rookie

they basically took was almost good in Elite and made it work, so for everyone who is going to say they heard it before...yes you have but now they fixed and made it better. They started from the bottom of recreating this game and brought back one thing they felt was really good and made it even better or the new engine allows it work the right way.
Old 06-13-2013, 07:40 PM   #148
MVP

MarvinOida's Arena

OVR: 20
Making more disappointing that no current gen port/development... But I guess it was time for EA to move on to bigger, powerful, and more things.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:30 PM   #149
Banned

OVR: 2
Re: E3 2013: NBA Live 14 Hands-On

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23

They arent selling the game on dribbling, thats what im trying to tell you. Mike actually improved the dribbling a bit in Live 10 and it was worlds better than isomotion in 2k10..Worlds, lol

That said, thats not the only thing the game did well and wasn't the main reason people played Live 10. What im trying to tell you is, with Elite they went nuts on dirbbling and control. You should search some of those threads to see exactly what im saying to you.

The dribbling is not a problem though, its just not what people are asking to see.
Think the new 1:1 shot stick was the main thing about elite and dribbling was second. Not sure what the focus was for 13 but it wasn't dribbling.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:37 PM   #150
Banned

Re: E3 2013: NBA Live 14 Hands-On

Quote:
Originally Posted by tril
ok. so the only differences is you don't get stuck in animations. but IMO the mechanics sound the same as 2k.
as far as not being stuck in animations how is that possible without physics and natural limits being involved.
one can not start a certain move then stop it mid way then do another. certain things have to play through. its physically impossible to bounce a ball between ones leg and stop it once the ball leaves your hand, just to do a cross over. now if your stringing moves together, then again what is different. and again the ball being independent. really wasn't that in 2k12 and 2k13. they toned it down in 2k13.
and as far as hands being independent, will I have user control of both hands. will I be able to push a defender back with one hand, while I dribble with my other hand, and again if its user controlled it has to be animation based to some extent
as far as defenders adjusting with Synergy, etc, again a nice feature. that is what seems different, but again will this be that much different than a daily stat update feature. and didn't 2k implement something similar a few years ago.

I just see similarities, and those similarities would have to exist cause they exist in basketball.

anyway not knocking Live but man give me something meaningful in features, something that will differentiate your product. again SYNERGY seems to be that feature. but its sill a wait and see.
Uh it was 2k that followed lives lead when it came to dribbling not the other way around.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:55 PM   #151
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23
I have honestly NEVER heard of "signature dribble" EVER IN MY LIFE watching basketball.

Is this some kind of a joke?
Think Jamaal Crawford crossover layup.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-14-2013, 12:53 AM   #152
MVP

OVR: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirs
Uh it was 2k that followed lives lead when it came to dribbling not the other way around.
I said that when I mentioned EA's NCAA basketball, in my initial post. Wasn't claiming that 2k invented the system. I just stated that 2k has this feature also. IF they are hyping up BOunce TECH it better be really different.
Havent played an EA NBA game since 03. NCAA basketball was the last EA basketball game I owned.
anyways, I need to see more of this Bounce Tech.
Another thing is, I hope ratings matter in this bounce tech, being able to switch hands etc.. hopefully each hand will have its own tendency/ rating,
competition is good.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live »