Home

No Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 15, Focus Shifts to Next-Gen and Tiger 16

This is a discussion on No Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 15, Focus Shifts to Next-Gen and Tiger 16 within the Golf forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 05-02-2013, 05:44 PM   #41
Banned

OVR: 18
Re: No Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 15, Focus Shifts to Next-Gen and Tiger 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltide1017
I don't mind them taking a year off but, I'm probably not going to be able to play TW14 after this holiday season. Since the PS4 is not backwards compatible and the next Xbox most likely wont be as well, I'll be out of luck once I get one of the new consoles. Even if I kept my current 360, I don't have any spare inputs on my TV so I would get unhooked anyway but, I always trade-in my current console to help pay for the new one.

I'm fine being without a golf game for a year if the first one on next gen comes out with almost all the current features intact. If TW16 comes out on the PS4/next Xbox as a bare bones game after the year long break then EA will have some serious explaining to do. Having to wait 6 or 7 years for the next gen version to reach TW14 levels will not fly with me this time around. I'm tired of how sports games dump all features at the start of every generation. I hope NCAA takes a year off as well but, I doubt it.
There are cheap workaround fixes for your lack of inputs on your TV. Just go to Monoprice to find one. HDMI switches. I don't plan on giving Gamestop my PS3 or my 360 for a few measly bucks. Don't know why anyone would want to sell theirs.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-03-2013, 12:30 AM   #42
MVP

ComfortablyLomb's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivotMaker
Before we extoll the virtues of any new game (not replacement), lets see if it actually gets released and how does it play. Alot can happen between now and "Winter 2013". It looks great now, but like any other Golf game before it, it all depends on the execution and support......
This. Right now all I'm seeing on their website are some pretty graphics and a seemingly powerful course architect. That's wonderful, but gameplay matters too.

Last edited by ComfortablyLomb; 05-03-2013 at 12:35 AM.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:01 AM   #43
Pro

globalbeats7's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComfortablyLomb
This. Right now all I'm seeing on their website are some pretty graphics and a seemingly powerful course architect. That's wonderful, but gameplay matters too.
yes gameplay matters....but some of you act like TW was a gameplay gem. in fact, gameplay was always the biggest issue for TW.

the animation of PG's golf swing is already superior to TW's, what little we can see of it.
Old 05-03-2013, 11:09 AM   #44
MVP

ComfortablyLomb's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by globalbeats7
yes gameplay matters....but some of you act like TW was a gameplay gem. in fact, gameplay was always the biggest issue for TW.

the animation of PG's golf swing is already superior to TW's, what little we can see of it.
If you were to look up my post history regarding the Tiger series, calling my views on Tiger "extremely critical" might be an understates. This year's gameplay is EXCELLENT with the right difficulty settings. The old arguments against the game, they don't fly anymore.
Old 05-03-2013, 11:40 AM   #45
Pro

globalbeats7's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComfortablyLomb
If you were to look up my post history regarding the Tiger series, calling my views on Tiger "extremely critical" might be an understates. This year's gameplay is EXCELLENT with the right difficulty settings. The old arguments against the game, they don't fly anymore.
This years gameplay is harder because of a couple different settings...but all it does is mask a stale and unimproved game core. yes, the game plays harder and more sim-like. scores are down. it is harder to hit fairways, greens, etc. putting is easier, however. but gameplay is more than that to me. we still have limited and unrefined swing animations, ball physics are still subpar, interactions with the elements on the course are still really bad. I am not a big presentation guy but commentary is still horrendous. Will EA ever understand how to implement the rules of golf, ie drops, penalties, out of bounds. game is still glitchy at times when balls warp into weird spots on the course. All these things are part of gameplay that have not been addressed during the current generation. To say the old arguments do not fly anymore, you are blinded by the masking of the harder difficulty settings this year.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-03-2013, 01:38 PM   #46
MVP

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by globalbeats7
This years gameplay is harder because of a couple different settings...but all it does is mask a stale and unimproved game core. yes, the game plays harder and more sim-like. scores are down. it is harder to hit fairways, greens, etc. putting is easier, however. but gameplay is more than that to me. we still have limited and unrefined swing animations, ball physics are still subpar, interactions with the elements on the course are still really bad. I am not a big presentation guy but commentary is still horrendous. Will EA ever understand how to implement the rules of golf, ie drops, penalties, out of bounds. game is still glitchy at times when balls warp into weird spots on the course. All these things are part of gameplay that have not been addressed during the current generation. To say the old arguments do not fly anymore, you are blinded by the masking of the harder difficulty settings this year.
The problem is with the current TW engine and the current console hardware memory limitations, not the Dev Team or any interpretation of the rules of Golf. And I disagree that ball physics are subpar as that is one area that TW14 has improved greatly. And the swing mechanic has improved greatly over the past two versions. Lets see how challenging the swing is in PP Golf before we compare the challenge of the two games. Making a videogame golf swing replicate the challenge of an IRL Golf swing with a gamepad or a mouse is not an easy thing to do and hasn't been since Golf games were first developed.

Xbox One Elite Controller

The Golf Club 2

Last edited by DivotMaker; 05-03-2013 at 01:41 PM.
Old 05-03-2013, 02:25 PM   #47
MVP

ComfortablyLomb's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivotMaker
The problem is with the current TW engine and the current console hardware memory limitations, not the Dev Team or any interpretation of the rules of Golf. And I disagree that ball physics are subpar as that is one area that TW14 has improved greatly. And the swing mechanic has improved greatly over the past two versions. Lets see how challenging the swing is in PP Golf before we compare the challenge of the two games. Making a videogame golf swing replicate the challenge of an IRL Golf swing with a gamepad or a mouse is not an easy thing to do and hasn't been since Golf games were first developed.
This is where I stand as well. Point out a golf game that has had a significantly better swing mechanic. That game does not exist. I'm not saying Tiger's swing stick mechanic is perfect, just that it does a decent job now that the advanced (diagonal) option exists.

As for putting, it's so hard to nail. I think this year's biggest putting problem is not really with the mechanic (which is probably too forgiving), but with "tournament" speed not being fast enough. I pretty much play with tournament on as a default, and I rarely have the fear of a putt getting away from me. Being above the hole is generally just no big deal.
Old 05-03-2013, 04:26 PM   #48
Some say he...

kerosene31's Arena

OVR: 20

I can't wait to see what they can do with better hardware. It is amazing what they manage to do on the existing consoles considering how old the hardware is.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf »