Home

Don't Expect a Change in the NFL License Status Quo

This is a discussion on Don't Expect a Change in the NFL License Status Quo within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
NBA 2K25 Cover Athletes - Jayson Tatum, A'ja Wilson and Vince Carter
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive and Analysis
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games

Old 03-29-2013, 12:56 PM   #49
MVP

PacMan3000's Arena

OVR: 11
Re: Don't Expect a Change in the NFL License Status Quo

After all these years, I'm still surprised there hasn't been a bigger outcry and outrage by gamers about the exclusivity deal.

If people walked into grocery stores across America and the only soda that was offered was Pepsi, people would be outraged. But for some reason, there doesn't seem to be much overwhelming furor about Madden being the sole NFL game you can get on store shelves. Not now, and in my opinion, not when the exclusive deal was finalized years ago, either.
Old 03-29-2013, 01:00 PM   #50
Pro

cuttingteeth's Arena

OVR: 14
Location: I live on the road - ghosting servers of family members...haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratedmoney
Sports games are different. The ****** gamer wants to play with their favorite teams, not the Atlanta Rockers. Look at Backbreaker and All Pro Football. Decent games for what they had to offer but the lack of being actual NFL games ultimately hurt them with the ****** gamer. You cant compare the Sims to video game football. Name the last generic sports title to come close to selling as much as the pro licensed sports title in its genre ? YOU CANT As far as your modding question goes THOSE PEOPLE ARE NOT THE ****** SPORTS FANS. Those are the die hards like me and you. The ****** sports fans are not on the forums looking for customizable rosters.
Ah, I see...you can't read between the lines of what I'm trying to convey. Have you ever used Teambuilder for the NCAA football games? It allows you to use any picture logo (so long as you resize it accordingly - easy to do) and upload it, and it becomes your helmet and/or jersey/pants logo and even your field/stadium logo. It works. I've created the Houston Oilers among many other NFL teams before. The only one I can't create accurately is how the Bengals are done, but I'm sure that's a short tweaking of code to allow for. I've created XFL, CFL, etc. teams. You can then put whatever names anywhere you want, too - your players size, weight, skin color, attributes, etc. exactly as you want...create a stadium close to exact or use established ones (when allowed). It's soooo close to the real thing.

The only other thing you are really making me understand is that you think the majority of folks are too lazy to do any of the work. I'll go with that...but it still wouldn't ruin the game selling any because all of you lazy mofo's would do the same thing you do now by downloading and uploading the changed files someone like me already did for you. Everything would cross-reference so well that it would still be a game the majority would purchase. If you wanted to customize it, it's for you. If you just want to DL what everyone else customized and/or tweak it a little when you choose, you could do that, too.

With all the combined (even little) things that you HAVE to do to Madden as is already, I don't see it being any different...even for the laziest, ****** gamer that absolutely loved Madden 13.

Last edited by cuttingteeth; 03-29-2013 at 01:03 PM.
Old 03-29-2013, 01:13 PM   #51
MVP

gr18's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuttingteeth
Ah, I see...you can't read between the lines of what I'm trying to convey. Have you ever used Teambuilder for the NCAA football games? It allows you to use any picture logo (so long as you resize it accordingly - easy to do) and upload it, and it becomes your helmet and/or jersey/pants logo and even your field/stadium logo. It works. I've created the Houston Oilers among many other NFL teams before. The only one I can't create accurately is how the Bengals are done, but I'm sure that's a short tweaking of code to allow for. I've created XFL, CFL, etc. teams. You can then put whatever names anywhere you want, too - your players size, weight, skin color, attributes, etc. exactly as you want...create a stadium close to exact or use established ones (when allowed). It's sooo close to the real thing.

The only other thing you are really making me understand is that you think the majority of folks are too lazy to do any of the work. I'll go with that...but it still wouldn't ruin the game selling any because all of you lazy mofo's would do the same thing you do now by downloading and uploading the changed files someone like me already did for you. Everything would cross-reference so well that it would still be a game the majority would purchase. If you wanted to customize it, it's for you. If you just want to DL what everyone else customized and/or tweak it a little when you choose, you could do that, too.

With all the combined (even little) things that you HAVE to do to Madden as is already, I don't see it being any different...even for the laziest, ****** gamer that absolutely loved Madden 13
As flawed of a game as Backbreaker is people still went through the customization it provided with logos/uniforms.I've done community 2k5 rosters in the past that took quite extensive time.If a game were to give us the whole package of options that was also actually a good game there's no doubt that the majority here would be on board whether they were committed to customizing themselves or taking what some of us create.Granted most of us aren't ****** football fans.The general public would just buy the licensed game and make do.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-29-2013, 01:19 PM   #52
Stop The GOAT Talk

SageInfinite's Arena

OVR: 40

Yeah the masses are trying to play with their favorite teams and their favorite players. I know people who don't even like NCAA because they say it's too "fake" because it doesn't have real players by default. Don't give the general public too much credit, lol, most don't really want to take the time to play a customized game. Why go through all that trouble when they can just buy Madden, which most enjoy as it is.

SageInfinite Bandcamp
https://sageinfinite.bandcamp.com/album/interminable
https://soundcloud.com/sageinfinite
Hidden Language Video Feat. Grandmilly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf5nW4rGTFM

#makethemaddenforumgreatagain
Old 03-29-2013, 01:49 PM   #53
Rookie

OVR: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by simfballcritic
*That, not that's
What up sim? Good to see you on here man...I hope with your help madden 25 will be a great game. Last year was the first year that I didn't purchase a madden game. I play sim style against users and the CPU to best replicate live sports action and when I play nba2k it is very enjoyable, but when I play madden it just doesn't feel sim no matter what sliders you adjust or difficulty adjustments. I want to see a discrepancy when I play against different teams. I want to be scared when Tom Brady spreads out my (redskins) defense and he is pointing out who the mike is. I want to see the QB walk up to the line and survey the defense before he hikes the ball. Is that too much to ask?
Old 03-29-2013, 01:50 PM   #54
MVP

kjcheezhead's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazdevil20
NFL gaming is dead. If you don't like Madden, then you won't be playing an NFL game. Ever. This deal will be in existence for as long as EA is in business. I didn't buy madden from 2001 to 2010. I bought 11 new (big mistake) then I got 12 and 13 used for 20.00 off of craigs list. I won't even do that now. I've completely lost interest. It's an embarrassingly bad product made by really bad developers. Football gaming was really the only kind of gaming I was interested in, but I've now lost interest. I love the NFL and always will, but no more games. 2k is still 1000x better on the field than Madden. EA will not change anything. They will continue to push a call of duty style development process with Madden. There is a new generation of gamers coming up. They have never played any other game so Madden is very appealing with its flashy graphics and catchy marketing schemes. I've said this from the beginning and I will continue to say it. EA will not only renew the license, but it will be a very long deal. Maybe even 10 years. Not only that, but it will be financially favorable to EA. It will be much cheaper. Also - I can assure you that 2k is NOT working on a football game. I do know they WANT to make one, but you don't pay for resources to work on something that may never bring in revenue. No company will ever do that.

At the end of the day, play the games that you enjoy that are actual professional grade products. I've found that there are some games being made that aren't sports games that are absolutely amazing, and worth my time and money. They are fun, immersive and tons of effort was put into them to stretch the limits of my imagination. That is everything that Madden is NOT. I'm with KJ - I've lost all interest in NFL gaming now. I'll play a game of APF 2k8 where it's realistic football with amazing gameplay if I really need to play a football game.

I can totally empathize with everyone saying to speak with your wallet. However, Madden is just too big of a brand name. It's not going to change anything. I will continue to speak with mine, but at the end of the day, it won't make a difference. Quite frankly, I've grown really tired of this whole thing. The arguments, venom, disputes, etc. etc. that have all resulted from a game - it's silly and there are better things to discuss/do.

At this point - you can't argue with the Maddenites. They will tell you that your only two choices are fall in line and put up with the game or simply don't buy it. As much as that might suck, they are right.
I haven't totally given up hope. EA couldn've locked up the license for the next ten years already but instead chose to ask for a $30 million reduction just to extend for 1 year. They also let the NCAA exclusive expire. Loss of sales can affect the deal. According to this article the NFLPA agreement costs EA $30 - 40 million annually. That adds up to 500,000 - 650,000 sales (assuming EA gets 59.99 for each sale which we know it doesn't). Then they still have to give the NFL their cut.

With no agreement in place for Madden 15, if there was ever a time to pass on Madden and speak with your wallet it's now.

So it's wait and see for me. I've spent the last few years playing other games. Thanks to the football video game situation, I bought Rocksmith and spent the past year learning guitar. Bandfuse is set to release this spring so I'll just keep enjoying my new hobby. If the deal ends, great. If it doesn't, oh well. I'm with you on the arguements, venom and disputes getting tiring. I've got better things to do with my time.
Old 03-29-2013, 02:00 PM   #55
MVP

OVR: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacMan3000
After all these years, I'm still surprised there hasn't been a bigger outcry and outrage by gamers about the exclusivity deal.

If people walked into grocery stores across America and the only soda that was offered was Pepsi, people would be outraged. But for some reason, there doesn't seem to be much overwhelming furor about Madden being the sole NFL game you can get on store shelves. Not now, and in my opinion, not when the exclusive deal was finalized years ago, either.
I disagree. There has been an outcry by a ton of gamers about the exclusive agreement, its just that its been censored and suppressed. If you complained about the agreement here, then you were infracted or banned. If you complained about it on any numerous fansites such as maddennation, maddenmania, traditionsports etc...you were infracted or banned. If you mentioned it on the official EA forums, then it was deleted as soon as it was noticed etc.

Pretty much the only places you can go and talk about it where it wont be censored is on websites that really have nothing to do with sportsgaming, such as Anandtech, Gamefaqs, and any other numerous sites that dont focus on sports gaming.

It is in the best interests of the main video game sports websites to keep EA in its good graces for access to devs and the perks that come along with it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-29-2013, 02:06 PM   #56
Rookie

OVR: 4
I agree with Matthew's general conclusion that we'll keep on seeing EAS/Tiburon's Madden product as the virtual NFL flag bearer but I don't agree with his premise of 'why'.

If you look at the NFL product licensing business model, its stuck in a exclusive contract business model, with EA basically along for the ride and reaping the benefits.

There's another question about who would be able to pony up the mega-bucks that an NFL and NFLPA licensing deal would require AND develop a competitive/compelling product.

I'd agree with some other posters that the competition and competitive pressure will come from the NCAA games with EA's court recorded mandate to no longer do exclusive deals in this area.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »