Home

Don't Expect a Change in the NFL License Status Quo

This is a discussion on Don't Expect a Change in the NFL License Status Quo within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 03-29-2013, 01:17 AM   #33
Rookie

SkillzKillz719's Arena

OVR: 17
Well this sucks.
Old 03-29-2013, 01:34 AM   #34

m1ke_nyc's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: Don't Expect a Change in the NFL License Status Quo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tril
cosign!!!

if EA gets an exclusive license again, then 2k should just make a generic totally customizable football game. They should make another APF2k title with generic players and a franchise mode, add a names data base like they've done with other sports titles, and give us the option to edit team uniforms and citys,
add 2k presentation elements similar to NBA2k and MLB2k. They could create generic story lines for players etc, and the ever developing data created by stats and an association mode would work wonders for dynamic commentary.
IT wont sell as much as EA but I think it would still be profitable.
It would sell to us here at OS yes, but the casual gamer which is BY FAR the majority wont pick up the game.
Old 03-29-2013, 04:56 AM   #35
Pro

KomicJ's Arena

OVR: 1
This is exactly why 2K should've made generic (or at least story-driven ala Blitz the League) football games these past two years. Sure, it isn't gonna outsell Madden without the NFLPA license, but with NBA 2K, the new WWE lisence, and their other franchises, this would've give them time to work on their football engine, make a stronger push, and be able to compete right from day-1 with Madden.

While I agree that 2K5 might not be as good today as some of us still remember it, 2K proved in their other franchises that they are still the best outhere in terms of presentation. Which leads me to belive that a generic story-driven football game could do very well, if (and only if) they give the production team the same budget, or close to it, as an NFL game (which I don't think was the case for 2k8). Hell, partner with Rockstar/TTWO if you have to...at least until you can get the lisence back.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-29-2013, 07:44 AM   #36
Rookie

HiTEqMETHOD's Arena

OVR: 13
It's amazing really. I remember the first time I viewed the Madden '06 next gen trailer. I was blown away. I never would of guessed an entire console generation would go by and I'd still be waiting for the game I thought I'd be getting when I watched that video.

One of the biggest tragedies of my life. Right up there with the twist at the end of The Village. Never again.
Old 03-29-2013, 09:42 AM   #37
MVP

OVR: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by KomicJ
This is exactly why 2K should've made generic (or at least story-driven ala Blitz the League) football games these past two years. Sure, it isn't gonna outsell Madden without the NFLPA license, but with NBA 2K, the new WWE lisence, and their other franchises, this would've give them time to work on their football engine, make a stronger push, and be able to compete right from day-1 with Madden.

While I agree that 2K5 might not be as good today as some of us still remember it, 2K proved in their other franchises that they are still the best outhere in terms of presentation. Which leads me to belive that a generic story-driven football game could do very well, if (and only if) they give the production team the same budget, or close to it, as an NFL game (which I don't think was the case for 2k8). Hell, partner with Rockstar/TTWO if you have to...at least until you can get the lisence back.
Thats the sad thing MAdden made huge strides this past year. Its unfortunate that it took them this long to make a game nearly equivalent to NFL2k5. This makes me wonder if the reason why MAdden improved so much in one year is because the licenses is about to expire, and they may want to exetend the exclusive license. IM sure the NFL and EA uses metrics to figure out what is really being said about their game. Poor metrics would most likely lead to the loss of an exlusive license.
IMO, 2k5 is still as good as it has always been. the game always surprises me with new animations etc..
Old 03-29-2013, 10:03 AM   #38
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Not so sure the NFL cares much about the metrics and what's said about an NFL video game, they have other things that would take higher priority imho.

The NFL has their money.
Old 03-29-2013, 10:33 AM   #39
Banned

OVR: 28
NFL gaming is dead. If you don't like Madden, then you won't be playing an NFL game. Ever. This deal will be in existence for as long as EA is in business. I didn't buy madden from 2001 to 2010. I bought 11 new (big mistake) then I got 12 and 13 used for 20.00 off of craigs list. I won't even do that now. I've completely lost interest. It's an embarrassingly bad product made by really bad developers. Football gaming was really the only kind of gaming I was interested in, but I've now lost interest. I love the NFL and always will, but no more games. 2k is still 1000x better on the field than Madden. EA will not change anything. They will continue to push a call of duty style development process with Madden. There is a new generation of gamers coming up. They have never played any other game so Madden is very appealing with its flashy graphics and catchy marketing schemes. I've said this from the beginning and I will continue to say it. EA will not only renew the license, but it will be a very long deal. Maybe even 10 years. Not only that, but it will be financially favorable to EA. It will be much cheaper. Also - I can assure you that 2k is NOT working on a football game. I do know they WANT to make one, but you don't pay for resources to work on something that may never bring in revenue. No company will ever do that.

At the end of the day, play the games that you enjoy that are actual professional grade products. I've found that there are some games being made that aren't sports games that are absolutely amazing, and worth my time and money. They are fun, immersive and tons of effort was put into them to stretch the limits of my imagination. That is everything that Madden is NOT. I'm with KJ - I've lost all interest in NFL gaming now. I'll play a game of APF 2k8 where it's realistic football with amazing gameplay if I really need to play a football game.

I can totally empathize with everyone saying to speak with your wallet. However, Madden is just too big of a brand name. It's not going to change anything. I will continue to speak with mine, but at the end of the day, it won't make a difference. Quite frankly, I've grown really tired of this whole thing. The arguments, venom, disputes, etc. etc. that have all resulted from a game - it's silly and there are better things to discuss/do.

At this point - you can't argue with the Maddenites. They will tell you that your only two choices are fall in line and put up with the game or simply don't buy it. As much as that might suck, they are right.
Old 03-29-2013, 10:57 AM   #40
Pro

cuttingteeth's Arena

OVR: 14
Location: I live on the road - ghosting servers of family members...haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tril
cosign!!!

if EA gets an exclusive license again, then 2k should just make a generic totally customizable football game. They should make another APF2k title with generic players and a franchise mode, add a names data base like they've done with other sports titles, and give us the option to edit team uniforms and citys,
add 2k presentation elements similar to NBA2k and MLB2k. They could create generic story lines for players etc, and the ever developing data created by stats and an association mode would work wonders for dynamic commentary.
IT wont sell as much as EA but I think it would still be profitable.
I've mentioned this before, too. Anyone that makes a generic-per-customizing football game that just simply plays solid on the field and keeps solid stats...and then allows us to customize all 32 teams (at least) via a teambuilder kind of website...would rule the land. Bank on it.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »