Home

Don't Expect a Change in the NFL License Status Quo

This is a discussion on Don't Expect a Change in the NFL License Status Quo within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 03-28-2013, 03:32 PM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
Don't Expect a Change in the NFL License Status Quo

This past month has been a very eventful one for Electronic Arts and EA Sports. On Monday, March 18th, Electronic Arts announced that John Ricccitiello had stepped down as CEO. This was only weeks after Sim City released with terrible issues and was a company wide embarrassment. While both events may or may not be completely connected, this was industry changing news and it could perhaps signal a new direction for EA in the future.

At the same time, we are coming to the end of this console generation. Also of importance is that we are near the end of the exclusive deal between EA and the NFL/NFLPA.

If there was ever a time we could believe in the chance to see a change in the football gaming market, the end of a monopoly, and a return to competition, this is the time, right?

Read More - Don't Expect a Change in the NFL License Status Quo
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-28-2013, 03:42 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 5
This can't be life 😢
Old 03-28-2013, 04:08 PM   #3
Pro

cuttingteeth's Arena

OVR: 14
Location: I live on the road - ghosting servers of family members...haha.
Re: Don't Expect a Change in the NFL License Status Quo

I still say that Tecmo would be the first/best to take a shot at competition, and after all of these years, people would give them the benefit of the doubt and give it a go.
Old 03-28-2013, 04:09 PM   #4
Pro

OVR: 0

The NFLPA spelled out plainly to everyone what needs to be done if you are sick of Madden. Make Madden not the best interests of the players. Make Madden sit on the shelf of the retail store.

If there is ANY accuracy, even ballpark for VGChartz, then Madden sells at half the rate it used to.

How is that best for the players? I don't know, but as long as EA can afford to buy out the competiton, I suppose that makes up the difference.

Old 03-28-2013, 04:15 PM   #5
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

Nice write up and I agree with some parts but disagree with the final conclusion.

"Both EA and the NFL have both been publicly happy with the current exclusive deal, with no comments from either side signaling that the business deal has been less than ideal for either party."

I don't agree with the bold because during the last NFL lockout the NFL used EA's request for a deduction for the exclusive license that year as leverage to get EA to agree to a one year extension. That seems to indicate at that time EA had no intention of extending, they just wanted to be discounted for the lockout year.

Concerning 2k getting back into football gaming, I think you maybe overlooking the fact that the new consoles are being touted as way more cost effective and efficient for developing games than this gen. Considering both 2k and Natural Motion were willing to attempt non-licensed games this gen, it doesn't seem like a stretch, given the opportunity to produce a NFL game on the new more streamlined development consoles, that 2k or some other company would be willing to put out a football game.

I don't see the exclusive being renewed/extended because at the end of the day it's all about money. EA doesn't seem willing to spend enough of it to keep an exclusive they likely feel they don't need and the NFL won't take less of it for an exclusive than they could make from selling multiple open licenses. What I think happens is that after having the luxury of getting upfront money for an exclusive opposed to royalties or however it was done before the exclusive, that the NFL offers an multiple open licenses at an upfront cost.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-28-2013, 04:54 PM   #6
Stop The GOAT Talk

SageInfinite's Arena

OVR: 40

The only part I disagree with is 2k5 being well behind Madden in most of the gameplay, .

SageInfinite Bandcamp
https://sageinfinite.bandcamp.com/album/interminable
https://soundcloud.com/sageinfinite
Hidden Language Video Feat. Grandmilly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf5nW4rGTFM

#makethemaddenforumgreatagain
Old 03-28-2013, 05:03 PM   #7
Rookie

dcal's Arena

OVR: 19
.....and the Football Gaming Dark Ages continue.
Old 03-28-2013, 05:13 PM   #8
Banned

OVR: 0

If Madden Renews the NFL, it will be the death of them. Only if they really improve the gameplay and Presentation factor that surpasses past NFL titles will they save face. Madden has lost revenue on the Madden series since 2010 and not recovered yet. They made some of it back with online pass and MUT, but are still falling short on global sales compared too when they first started on the new consoles. The more Madden lacks, like penalties that work, OL/DL interaction, Presentation that is up too par..not just tweeter feeds either. The more the gamer will get frustrated and find other options than video game football. The NFL will get its money, but EA is the one that will suffer, so it's vital they fix there product. If they renew the license and do what they been doing this generation, Madden will barely survive next-gen if they do at all. I hope the NFL reconsiders they theory

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »