Home

Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 14 Demo Available Now, Post Your Impressions (PS3, 360)

This is a discussion on Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 14 Demo Available Now, Post Your Impressions (PS3, 360) within the Golf forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 03-13-2013, 11:24 PM   #265
Rory McIlroy PGA TOUR Designer

HANDSWARD_EA's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 14 Demo Available Now, Post Your Impressions (PS3, 360)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehlis
I passed on 13 and was really liking the idea of simulation mode until I got a chance to play it and found no distances.
Did you try Tournament difficulty at all? It is quite the challenge in its own right. It is also designed towards the Sim crowd. It is definitely more challenging than Tiger 13's version of Tournament difficulty. It has it's own form of green grid. Advanced Shot Shaping is a part of it. You have to hold the strike meter in place throughout your shot, only difference is it doesn;t fade away. I highly recommend giving it a try if you are looking for a simulation style of golf in a video game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-13-2013, 11:37 PM   #266

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41
Re: Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 14 Demo Available Now, Post Your Impressions (PS3, 360)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HANDSWARD_EA
Did you try Tournament difficulty at all? It is quite the challenge in its own right. It is also designed towards the Sim crowd. It is definitely more challenging than Tiger 13's version of Tournament difficulty. It has it's own form of green grid. Advanced Shot Shaping is a part of it. You have to hold the strike meter in place throughout your shot, only difference is it doesn;t fade away. I highly recommend giving it a try if you are looking for a simulation style of golf in a video game.
Appreciate the heads up, I will try it.

Can I change those features? I've never putted with grids and really like the disappearing icon for the strike meter. I even really like aiming from a primarily static position.

Don't take it the wrong way, I love the simulation mode and to be completely honest, I will likely be picking this one up and will learn to play without yardage but that decision doesn't make any sense to me.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:47 PM   #267
Banned

OVR: 24

Quote:

Can I change those features? I've never putted with grids and really like the disappearing icon for the strike meter. I even really like aiming from a primarily static position.

Don't take it the wrong way, I love the simulation mode and to be completely honest, I will likely be picking this one up and will learn to play without yardage but that decision doesn't make any sense to me.
Are you disappointed with no yardages from a cosmetic viewpoint (ie: you like the realism that it provides) or because you feel it helps you to play better on sim mode because, like Hands said before, the pin yardage marker provides that if you do some simple math. The only real negative I see is on the tee box, it leaves you somewhat blind when you want to avoid hazards with your driver but after playing the same course a couple of times you can easily remember what to avoid without yardage guides.

I haven't played the National from TW13 in months but I still remember to hit a 3 wood instead of a driver on the 1st hole because the length my driver goes would be aimed at a very narrow place on the fairway. It's surprising how much you can remember when you play a course a couple of times.

Yes it would have been great to have yardages and originally i thought it was a huge oversight but now I honestly think its not that big a deal because of the pin marker provides that , just in an unorthodox way.

Last edited by Seymour Scagnetti; 03-13-2013 at 11:52 PM.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:48 PM   #268
Rookie

OVR: 0
Quote:

I agree. I love the sim mode the more I play it. Someone awhile back in this thread said there is still a flyby option on sim mode, I have not taken the, as he says, 1.3 seconds it takes to select it haha. And since I won't be playing again until tomorrow, hands if you know, can you confirm this is on the sim difficulty and if so does it show any of like the 100, 150, 200 yard markers at all? I just thought of that, and it would come in handy when setting up a blind tee shot and things of that nature. Since that is more the reason I would want the yardage book anyway.

Also hands I like your idea of a note pad. It may be something I do before each tournament I play in my career.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:57 PM   #269
MVP

Danimal's Arena

OVR: 21

Hadsward,

Are there actually functioning ball drops in the game this year? Or are we left again with the game deciding where we get to drop.

If its the later can you explain why this isn't important enough to get in the game. This feature existed in games I played back in 2000 and earlier.

Thanks
Old 03-14-2013, 12:15 AM   #270

kehlis's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seymour Scagnetti
Are you disappointed with no yardages from a cosmetic viewpoint (ie: you like the realism that it provides) or because you feel it helps you to play better on sim mode because, like Hands said before, the pin yardage marker provides that if you do some simple math. The only real negative I see is on the tee box, it leaves you somewhat blind when you want to avoid hazards with your driver but after playing the same course a couple of times you can easily remember what to avoid without yardage guides.

I haven't played the National from TW13 in months but I still remember to hit a 3 wood instead of a driver on the 1st hole because the length my driver goes would be aimed at a very narrow place on the fairway. It's surprising how much you can remember when you play a course a couple of times.
This is my thing,

I'm no scratch golfer in real life but consider myself formidable.

I will buy a yardage book at any course that sells it despite the fact that I also have a sky caddy.

I like knowing yardages to certain points from where I am on the course.

I can figure out the math as far as yardage which is why I will more than likely get it as is and work with it.

It just doesnt make sense to me, as was previously mentioned, yardages one of the things that are not a guessing game for the pros.
Old 03-14-2013, 01:35 AM   #271
Banned

OVR: 24

Quote:
This is my thing,

I'm no scratch golfer in real life but consider myself formidable.

I will buy a yardage book at any course that sells it despite the fact that I also have a sky caddy.

I like knowing yardages to certain points from where I am on the course.

I can figure out the math as far as yardage which is why I will more than likely get it as is and work with it.

It just doesnt make sense to me, as was previously mentioned, yardages one of the things that are not a guessing game for the pros.
I agree, I think they should have at least provided some yardage markers on those hole flybys but I guess we have to wait to get that next year hopefully because it should have been a given with no zoom. Luckily its not a game breaker for me anyways.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-14-2013, 01:43 AM   #272

kehlis's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seymour Scagnetti
I agree, I think they should have at least provided some yardage markers on those hole flybys but I guess we have to wait to get that next year hopefully because it should have been a given with no zoom. Luckily its not a game breaker for me anyways.
Agreed, I'm not someone who uses the term game breaker with anything and this certainly doesn't fall under that category.

I think it was a terrible decision and I can leave it at that.

This simulation mode is what I've been looking for for years in a golf game and the constant lack of it was why I finally didn't buy this game last year (I'm a day one title buyer of the games I get on a regular basis. Last year, for the first time since I can remember, I didn't buy either NCAA or TW).

After taking a year off, I will still likely buy this but I still think it was a TERRIBLE design decision that makes no sense.

This is not meant at any disrespect to HANDS because he has done an excellent job interacting with us here but it just doesn't make sense to me.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf »