Home

Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 14 Demo Available Now, Post Your Impressions (PS3, 360)

This is a discussion on Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 14 Demo Available Now, Post Your Impressions (PS3, 360) within the Golf forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 03-08-2013, 11:40 PM   #169
Banned

OVR: 24
Re: Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 14 Demo Available Now, Post Your Impressions (PS3, 360)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerg04
Yea I understand that part. What I'm wondering is, on the straight shots, ie chips and putts, my back and forth swing produces a perfectly straight line on the swing meter. However the draw/fades I can NEVER achieve that. Which is fine and realistic. Just wondering if it's only me.

Edit: playing simulation difficulty

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
You have to take into account that it would be much easier for you to hit a perfectly straight line along the swing meter because you are chipping and putting so your not taking nearly as long a backswing and therefore its easier to be accurate. Any golfer would be more accurate when they use shorter clubs.

The game I think takes into the account that being accurate with those clubs would be such easier to achieve so the swing meter line is easier to duplicate. How often do you see a pro golfer spray their chip shot like they would with a driver or longer iron hence the swing should be more forgiving.
Old 03-08-2013, 11:45 PM   #170
Rookie

OVR: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by DivotMaker
Then turn Advanced Shot Shaping OFF in the Gameplay Options and you won't have to worry about it.
If he's worried about playing online this is not an option because the settings are set. If he's just wanting it for his career mode and doesn't care about online, I agree with you. If its simply looking for the right challenge during a career, I say just custom set your options to give you the right difficulty. And if it's online, just remember everyone you play against will have the same advantages or disadvantages as you, and it will be just like real life on any difficulty as far as the competition goes, meaning whoever is best with those advantages or disasvantages will win.
Old 03-08-2013, 11:53 PM   #171
Banned

OVR: 24
Re: Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 14 Demo Available Now, Post Your Impressions (PS3, 360)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerosene31
This is exactly what is killing the game for me. I get that pros never hit a straight shot, but the angles are totally extreme. I don't understand it. I get if you are trying to bend some crazy shot around a bend or something, but a tiny little fade shouldn't be such a low percentage shot.

My thumb simply can't do it with any consistency. I can't even get any kind of a smooth swing going with the thumb. Basically, what I will have to do is turn the controller and try to swing with two fingers.

The past few years I just can't find a good difficulty to play with. Tour pro is mostly too easy, unless I try to draw or fade a shot. Anything above that and I don't think I can ever break par, even with practice. The demo only has perfectly easy conditions. Wait until the wind cranks up and the greens become lightning fast.
I have found that following the swing line is just a simple 7-1 swing and you will get a slight fade or draw, its nothing really extreme unless you want to swing 8-2 or even more. Yes its hard to perfectly replicate that line but the swing plane is only little bit off a north/south swing. Just keep practicing and it should get easier. If you get the historic edition then you will have the practice range to tinker with it as much as you want.

The key, just like real golf, is to not to swing too hard because that's when everything can go bonkers. It's all about tempo. Take an easy swing back and forth until it becomes second nature and when you get comfortable increase your speed but you still don't need to flick it really hard to get good distance. This swing is meant to be measured as well as accurate. Flicking it hard forward will hurt your tempo and makes it more difficult to have a diagonal straight line and the devs have stated that tempo is a factor with accuracy, its less forgiving when your tempo is bad.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-09-2013, 12:31 AM   #172
MVP

Jet Sufferer's Arena

OVR: 12

I've heard it mentioned that a couple of the devs are scratch golfers. I'm a scratch golfer too, actually a little better than that.

When you have a wedge in your you ARE trying to hit a straight shot, I was kind of surprised in the demo when coming in with wedges to still see the extreme fade path. It's HARD to draw or fade a wedge, lol, if I draw a sand wedge it's not on purpose.

So I was a little disappointed to see that, just like in real golf when you're in that scoring zone you're going right at the flag, not shaping a wedge in there. I was having a tough time hitting fairways then when I had a wedge in I was expecting to see the game give me the 6-12 o'clock shot.

Even with the shorter irons the ball will move less. In real life I hit a draw automatically, don't even have to think about it and my draw will draw a few more yards the longer the club. I think the game should reflect those small variations instead of 6-12 or 5-7, some variations in between.

Sometimes I would just spin the controller a bit so my thumb can just go 6-12 and hit the 5-7, but it feels like cheating, lol so I suck it up for the most part.

The game will be good at retail, it's pretty good now, except playing in the dark, I can only believe the graphics don't look good because it's an early build, the graphics were excellent in 12 and 13, no way they won't be great in 14, right?

This game will REALLY benefit from next gen systems. I hit some balls that were bad shots but NO WAY should they have been O.B. I know they can't render enough of the course, etc. but instead of ruining my round with an O.B. just give me some generic looking atmosphere to hit out of. I don't even care if it doesn't look the whole or the course I'm playing, don't punish me with O.B. on a ball that is on the course! Even just throw a random fan there on an O.B. ball and let it hit his thigh instead of sending me back to the tee with a 2 stroke penalty.

Also, the Marshalls are NOT doing their job here lol. I tried to punch out back into the fairway from the trees and instead of the Marshalls clearing a path for me they let these damn fans stand wherever they want. I go to punch out and some un-athletic lard butt in the gallery couldn't get out of the way of my punch out and it hit him and I'm STILL in the rough with the trees in my way.

Oh the trees, sigh. These trees, or more specifically the leaves are apparently made of iron with a plush coating of rich, corinthian leather covering them. This is the only way I can describe the physics of what happens when hitting these iron/leather leaves. I hope next gen we have leaves and branches reacting with the proper physics the way they do in real life.
Old 03-09-2013, 12:48 AM   #173
Rookie

OVR: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet Sufferer
I've heard it mentioned that a couple of the devs are scratch golfers. I'm a scratch golfer too, actually a little better than that.

When you have a wedge in your you ARE trying to hit a straight shot, I was kind of surprised in the demo when coming in with wedges to still see the extreme fade path. It's HARD to draw or fade a wedge, lol, if I draw a sand wedge it's not on purpose.

So I was a little disappointed to see that, just like in real golf when you're in that scoring zone you're going right at the flag, not shaping a wedge in there. I was having a tough time hitting fairways then when I had a wedge in I was expecting to see the game give me the 6-12 o'clock shot.

Even with the shorter irons the ball will move less. In real life I hit a draw automatically, don't even have to think about it and my draw will draw a few more yards the longer the club. I think the game should reflect those small variations instead of 6-12 or 5-7, some variations in between.

Sometimes I would just spin the controller a bit so my thumb can just go 6-12 and hit the 5-7, but it feels like cheating, lol so I suck it up for the most part.

The game will be good at retail, it's pretty good now, except playing in the dark, I can only believe the graphics don't look good because it's an early build, the graphics were excellent in 12 and 13, no way they won't be great in 14, right?

This game will REALLY benefit from next gen systems. I hit some balls that were bad shots but NO WAY should they have been O.B. I know they can't render enough of the course, etc. but instead of ruining my round with an O.B. just give me some generic looking atmosphere to hit out of. I don't even care if it doesn't look the whole or the course I'm playing, don't punish me with O.B. on a ball that is on the course! Even just throw a random fan there on an O.B. ball and let it hit his thigh instead of sending me back to the tee with a 2 stroke penalty.

Also, the Marshalls are NOT doing their job here lol. I tried to punch out back into the fairway from the trees and instead of the Marshalls clearing a path for me they let these damn fans stand wherever they want. I go to punch out and some un-athletic lard butt in the gallery couldn't get out of the way of my punch out and it hit him and I'm STILL in the rough with the trees in my way.

Oh the trees, sigh. These trees, or more specifically the leaves are apparently made of iron with a plush coating of rich, corinthian leather covering them. This is the only way I can describe the physics of what happens when hitting these iron/leather leaves. I hope next gen we have leaves and branches reacting with the proper physics the way they do in real life.
Jet, you are hilarious. This post cracked me up. I'm just under a 4 handicap, and grew up playing tournament golf as well. I love your complaints, even though they are light hearted humerous complaints they have some truth to them I can tell. Especially the gallery bit. Can't tell you how many times the spectators get in the way in these greens, it especially drives me crazy when I am by the green and I can't see my path to the hole or they are standing right behind me to where I would hit them in my back swing lol.

And the leaves have driven me insane for years. You touch a leaf and your ball drops straight down. It drives me crazy lol.

Thanks for my laugh of the evening.
Old 03-09-2013, 01:17 AM   #174
MVP

Jet Sufferer's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love13
Jet, you are hilarious. This post cracked me up. I'm just under a 4 handicap, and grew up playing tournament golf as well. I love your complaints, even though they are light hearted humerous complaints they have some truth to them I can tell. Especially the gallery bit. Can't tell you how many times the spectators get in the way in these greens, it especially drives me crazy when I am by the green and I can't see my path to the hole or they are standing right behind me to where I would hit them in my back swing lol.

And the leaves have driven me insane for years. You touch a leaf and your ball drops straight down. It drives me crazy lol.

Thanks for my laugh of the evening.
Thanks, I'll be here all week, don't forget to tip the waitresses.

I actually didn't take golf seriously until age 32 when my knees started getting rickety from years of basketball, other sports and running on asphalt roads, etc. Quick note to all you young dudes, STOP RUNNING on hard surfaces, ellipticals, etc are your friend, thank me in 20 years.

In one season I went from a total hack to a 2 handicap hitting 500-1000 balls a day, getting lessons and learning to give lessons from an old mini-tour player from Texas. I wish I started playing when I was a kid. Golf is the best sport and I love all sports, NEVER thought I would say that.

Back to the demo, if I remember correctly you could have slight variations of fade and draw paths to hit shots. Come to think of it I didn't try to move Tiger's feet in the demo to see if I could make the fade path less severe. Well if that's the worst of it the game will still be good, last year I only really played with my created player and hopefully with your created player you will be able to fiddle with the increments of the draw/fade path. I only really shaped shots when I needed to.
Old 03-09-2013, 07:24 AM   #175
MVP

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love13
If he's worried about playing online this is not an option because the settings are set. If he's just wanting it for his career mode and doesn't care about online, I agree with you. If its simply looking for the right challenge during a career, I say just custom set your options to give you the right difficulty. And if it's online, just remember everyone you play against will have the same advantages or disadvantages as you, and it will be just like real life on any difficulty as far as the competition goes, meaning whoever is best with those advantages or disasvantages will win.
There will be some online tournaments that have Adv Shot Shaping off is what I am hearing....however, the more users are playing and practicing, the more I am reading they get what EA has done and it is making sense and the challenge has been amped up which is the intent....

Xbox One Elite Controller

The Golf Club 2
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-09-2013, 08:10 AM   #176
MVP

Hurricain's Arena

OVR: 10

Finally shot one under. I am playing simulation with the zoom, not having yardages is complete garbage so the zoom makes up for this.

Anyone else find a draw wayyy easier to hit then a fade?

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf »