Home

Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 14 Demo Available Now, Post Your Impressions (PS3, 360)

This is a discussion on Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 14 Demo Available Now, Post Your Impressions (PS3, 360) within the Golf forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 03-07-2013, 11:37 PM   #153
Rookie

OVR: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by RipCity71252
Like most of you, I'm loving the challenge of the simulation setting. I do agree that some of the aspects of it seem to be veering from actual realism just to increase the difficulty (lack of yardages on screen or in caddie book, analog fade strike meter) but on the whole I'm happy with the direction EA has taken this game. I played around 60-70 rounds on 13 without any aids and was shooting 66 on average, but I've played the heck out of this demo and have only broken par once (-1 @ Oak Hill), while regularly shooting anywhere from +1 to +3.

Only thing I don't really care for (and it could just be the slow green conditions) is the feel of the putting. The actual stroke is much smoother which I appreciate, but I think they went a bit too far in nerfing the touchiness of 13 in terms of speed control. Also don't like how they've seemed to strip the user of some of other ways to view the green that we've had in the past (low angle camera by flicking up then down on the LS and behind the hole).

Wish they'd bring back the driving range feature since we actually might need it now! haha

EDIT: I agree Gerg04. The draw definitely seems easier to pull off due to how your hand is naturally positioned on the LS and could see a lot of users going with that swing style because of this (fade for left handed users).
I believe you will have access to the Augusta driving range if you buy the historical edition or whatever it's called this year. As for just a regular driving range, I agree, that should just be in the game and then have the nicer range in the special edition. I also agree with your idea of seeing the hole from the opposite side when reading greens because just like the yardage books, this is something every pro does on every putt, so it should be an option. I like the taking away of aids but simply not having anything to assist in crucial areas of basic golf strategy is something they should look at. It would be nice to have some of this addressed in a patch, but at least get the little things right in next years.

Overall no complaints, just room for improvement in the future. This is definitely heading in the right direction going towards the next gen consoles.

On a side note, has anyone tried this on simulation using kinect or move or ideally someone that has tried both and compared them? I'm really curious how those modes have come along with all the changes, because ideally I think if it's done correctly those would be my preferred choice of gameplay. Any insight would be nice.
Old 03-08-2013, 12:13 AM   #154
PDX

RipCity71252's Arena

OVR: 8
Re: Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 14 Demo Available Now, Post Your Impressions (PS3, 360)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love13
I believe you will have access to the Augusta driving range if you buy the historical edition or whatever it's called this year. As for just a regular driving range, I agree, that should just be in the game and then have the nicer range in the special edition. I also agree with your idea of seeing the hole from the opposite side when reading greens because just like the yardage books, this is something every pro does on every putt, so it should be an option. I like the taking away of aids but simply not having anything to assist in crucial areas of basic golf strategy is something they should look at. It would be nice to have some of this addressed in a patch, but at least get the little things right in next years.

Overall no complaints, just room for improvement in the future. This is definitely heading in the right direction going towards the next gen consoles.

On a side note, has anyone tried this on simulation using kinect or move or ideally someone that has tried both and compared them? I'm really curious how those modes have come along with all the changes, because ideally I think if it's done correctly those would be my preferred choice of gameplay. Any insight would be nice.
Sweet! Didn't know about the Augusta driving range info!

Some tips for the guys struggling with the shot shaping, remember you have the option to click the LS and take practice swings. I've never really needed to use it in past tigers but it really comes in handy this year, especially since it shows you your swing path line. Also, after playing a bit more tonight I've noticed that if I focus on the red swing path line (literally following it end to end as you make the same movement on the LS), my misses aren't nearly as bad.

For putting, don't put too much weight on the initial lie of your putt while reading the greens. I have had more than a few putts say they are a degree or so below/above my feet but I'm seeing little or no break at all. Trust what you see on the screen! Also keep in mind when reading greens that the majority of a putts break occurs within 3 feet of the hole (60% according to the PGA).

Just shot -2 @ Oak Hill!
Old 03-08-2013, 01:47 AM   #155
Rookie

OVR: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by RipCity71252
Sweet! Didn't know about the Augusta driving range info!

Some tips for the guys struggling with the shot shaping, remember you have the option to click the LS and take practice swings. I've never really needed to use it in past tigers but it really comes in handy this year, especially since it shows you your swing path line. Also, after playing a bit more tonight I've noticed that if I focus on the red swing path line (literally following it end to end as you make the same movement on the LS), my misses aren't nearly as bad.

For putting, don't put too much weight on the initial lie of your putt while reading the greens. I have had more than a few putts say they are a degree or so below/above my feet but I'm seeing little or no break at all. Trust what you see on the screen! Also keep in mind when reading greens that the majority of a putts break occurs within 3 feet of the hole (60% according to the PGA).

Just shot -2 @ Oak Hill!
Those are all great points. I never thought about practice swings but that could definitely help. I have also found that tilting or repositioning your hand so your diagonal stroke is more like a straight stroke, this has worked for me. I also adjust my aim for a mi****. If I'm playing a fade especially, I aim so if I hit it perfect I'm still on the green but if I over turn it I have almost the whole green error area to work with. I love it because I'm actually using course management in a video game which I have never done before.

Also you have great insight on putting. You hit it spot on.

I just posted -1 at oak hill. Although the leader board at least on ps3 is all jacked. 1st place says +999 and second says E, then progresses down to -2 and reads accurately. But total scores are skewed from round scores. It shows a -4 on the leaderbaord for total and his round score is -2 and a few others similar to that. Idk just something I noticed.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-08-2013, 10:31 AM   #156
Banned

OVR: 24
Re: Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 14 Demo Available Now, Post Your Impressions (PS3, 360)

One of the devs said that this was a bug corrected in the full version. The demo is a build from 3 months ago so they have lots of time to fix minor problems before release.
Old 03-08-2013, 12:59 PM   #157
Banned

OVR: 1

I have been playing Tournament mode. Can someone explain to me why Tiger's natural swing is diagonally left to top right? Is that going to be the same for all golfers, including your created golfer? Did EA put out an explaination on why the change?
Old 03-08-2013, 01:28 PM   #158
MVP

OVR: 11

Turn off Advanced Shot Shaping in Gameplay options. Tigers swing is a power fade 5 to 11 o'clock. It will be that way for created Golfers, but only if you have shot shaping enabled. Otherwise you can swing 6 to 12 o'clock...this is my understanding....

Hope that helps....

Xbox One Elite Controller

The Golf Club 2
Old 03-08-2013, 01:41 PM   #159
MVP

Jet Sufferer's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivotMaker
Turn off Advanced Shot Shaping in Gameplay options. Tigers swing is a power fade 5 to 11 o'clock. It will be that way for created Golfers, but only if you have shot shaping enabled. Otherwise you can swing 6 to 12 o'clock...this is my understanding....

Hope that helps....
Does this setting only change for the players default swing?

Meaning that if he plays a natural fade that you can change to 6-12 and he will still hit his fade or will he hit it straight?

Also if you want to hit a fade will you still need to swing 5-11 or will you just change your stance and swing 6-12 and produce a fade like it was in Tiger 12?

Thanks
Old 03-08-2013, 02:40 PM   #160
Rookie

Colly45's Arena

OVR: 2

Sim mode is excellent bar 2 very fundamental issues.No yardage charts for tee shots & inability to line up putts from behind the hole.Watch the golf at Doral this weekend & I think you will find that all the guys will consult a yardage book before playing any tee shot & will also line up many putts from behind the hole.These problems can be easily rectified by turning on zoom mode but then sim mode becomes custom mode,therefore not allowed for online play.Surely EA could easily add yardage charts for each course which could also include the four daily pin positions,this would simulate the booklet each player whips out of his back pocket on each tee,the flybys could be turned off in sim mode, the pros certainly do not get these.Give us the view from behind the hole on the green which is in zoom mode & I believe you could then truly call it sim mode.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf »