Home

Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 14 Demo Available Now, Post Your Impressions (PS3, 360)

This is a discussion on Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 14 Demo Available Now, Post Your Impressions (PS3, 360) within the Golf forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 03-06-2013, 12:21 PM   #97
MVP

OnlookerDelay's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 14 Demo Available Now, Post Your Impressions (PS3, 360)

I tried playing the 360 version some more this morning. I did Quick Play at Royal Birkdale and it was too dark for my tastes. It wasn't dark enough for the ball to glow, but just before it. It just felt so phoney to me.

I then tried some Simulation difficulty Connected Tournaments under sunny, afternoon skies at Birkdale. The course looked as good, if not better than last year, under those conditions. I tried Broadcast presentation one more time and I've finally had enough... it is an absolute mess from a player perspective. Not only are you taken out of the moment and deprived of the opportunity to savor the aesthetics of watching the shot take shape from your virtual golfer's eyes, you are also missing critical bounce and roll information that could have been useful to you in gauging slopes on short pitches, chips and putts. The Broadcast camera still shifts to angles at the moment of impact that don't allow you to see how the ball is breaking/rolling on the green to the extent your golfer would have seen it from their eyes.

I've said it before and I'll say it again; I grew tired of Follow Camera with Tiger 2007 and I haven't warmed up to it since. I'll have to admit that the Follow camera does give the player a better look at the action, particularly pitching, chipping and putting, but even it does some funky things that deprive you of getting good golfer's eye data on how putts and chips are breaking for the come backers. I don't like the Follow camera because it strips me out of the golfer's perspective and I wind up feeling like I'm a bird watching the action. I recognize that a lot of people like it, and I can understand that. It's purely a personal preference, but it's a strong enough consideration in how I perceive the game that I fear now that the presentation options are going to be a dealbreaker for me.

Last edited by OnlookerDelay; 03-06-2013 at 01:13 PM.
Old 03-06-2013, 12:45 PM   #98
Pro

OVR: 10
Re: Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 14 Demo Available Now For 360, Later Today For PS3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cccgolfer08
What exactly do you mean by shot power? Like how far you are hitting the shot? With ZERO wind and elevation, where your aiming marker is, if you hit a perfect back swing and through swing, the ball should LAND where the marker was. It is a landing marker so that doesn't account for roll/spin. If you happen to have a fast tempo and an overswing, your ball could fly 10 years past where that aiming marker was. You also need to make sure that your strike meter is on the center of the ball because that will effect your distance and accuracy as well.

Yea. I do not see a swing percentage. So if your wedge goes 120 yards and put the marker at 80, a full swing will go that 80 yards.
Old 03-06-2013, 12:52 PM   #99
Rookie

OVR: 3
A variety of camera options in a golf game should be mandatory.

Also, the core of the game is flawed. It should provide tremendous satisfaction as a reward for hitting the ball properly. The way it is currently, iron strikes sound like ground first then ball contact. it should be the opposite.

Same with the driver. The swing speed sounds too low for a professional golfer and the sound of the driver hitting the ball is too hollow.

In real golf, you can tell a good strike by the sound. A very satisfying sound.

If you had a baseball game where hitting a baseball doesnt feel right or is not satisfying, you would not play it very long.
Old 03-06-2013, 12:55 PM   #100
Rookie

cccgolfer08's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 14 Demo Available Now For 360, Later Today For PS3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbx34
Yea. I do not see a swing percentage. So if your wedge goes 120 yards and put the marker at 80, a full swing will go that 80 yards.
Percentages are non existent in the game. I don't know if you happened to play '13, but they were actually gone in that game. If a full swing wedge with your aiming marker all way out is 120 yards, that is with you swinging with a full backswing.. If you draw your aiming marker back to 80 yards, your swing will be need to be shortened or you will overswing. so you will actually have to end up taking about 2/3 of the backswing instead of a full backswing. You will notice this if you go play a round in amateur mode. There is a swing aid that will show you when you need to stop your backswing to have a perfect shot. So go play amateur and draw your aiming marker back, and you will see what I'm talking about. Difficult to explain.
Old 03-06-2013, 03:22 PM   #101
MVP

OVR: 11
Re: Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 14 Demo Available Now, Post Your Impressions (PS3, 360)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BagMan
Thanks for the vids. I'm scratching my head as to why there is a "swoosh" noise during a putting stroke. Total turn off!!

Do any of the devs even play golf?
The "swoosh" is not in the final version of the game. And every Dev plays Golf, a couple of them are scratch golfers......

Xbox One Elite Controller

The Golf Club 2
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-06-2013, 04:08 PM   #102
MVP

Koolie G's Arena

OVR: 13

Played a few quick tournaments last night and one connected tournament. I only wanted to play Simulation mode. I didn't by TW13 so some things are new to me. In the connected tourney I doubled the first, bogeyed the 2nd and parred the 3rd.

I couldn't change my swing to the right stick in the connceted tourney, hopefully that won't be the case in the retail version. I need that right stick as my swing stick.

Overall, I really like what they've done. They could still work on the presentation and the feeling of immersion, and they could also work on the camera angles, but overall this Simulation setting is going to make this a favorite of mine I think.
Old 03-06-2013, 04:19 PM   #103
Rookie

cccgolfer08's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolie G

I couldn't change my swing to the right stick in the connceted tourney, hopefully that won't be the case in the retail version. I need that right stick as my swing stick.
I believe if you go to the gameplay settings in the main menu, and you scroll down, there is an option to change to the right stick.
Old 03-06-2013, 04:56 PM   #104
MVP

Koolie G's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by cccgolfer08
I believe if you go to the gameplay settings in the main menu, and you scroll down, there is an option to change to the right stick.
I thought I tried that. I don't think there was a gameplay setting option when i was in the connected tournament. Maybe I missed it, but I definitely looked for it and I was able to change it when I was playing in "offline" tournament.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf »