Home

Current List of Free Agents in MLB 13 The Show

This is a discussion on Current List of Free Agents in MLB 13 The Show within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 02-27-2013, 12:46 PM   #33
Rookie

tbonepickens's Arena

OVR: 0
I have always hated the free agent menus. I wish they were improved. Maybe so you could sort be certain skills.
Old 02-27-2013, 04:25 PM   #34
MVP

geisterhome's Arena

OVR: 44
Re: Current List of Free Agents in MLB 13 The Show

So it's the average performance of the last 3 years and the last year weights more right?

Roy Oswalts ERA the last 3 seasons:
2010: 2.76
2011: 3.69
2012: 5.80

So thats a 90 rating, considering 2012 is the most important? Maybe if 2010 was but how can they rate him that high, considering his ERA in 2012? Doesn't have Johnny Cueto have an 85 rating or smth?

And since Oswalts health is an issue how will it be when I sign him, how high is the chance he'll end up being on the DL most of the time?
Old 02-27-2013, 07:56 PM   #35
Pro

slickkill77's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatArmy
And so, those of us who dislike ratings numbers instead of bars, we present a thread full of our evidence as to why.
They would be the same rating regardless. Bar vs Numbers makes no difference. The overall player ratings are inflated horribly. They need to just scrap them completely or go to the scouting scale (20-80)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-28-2013, 12:37 AM   #36
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by geisterhome
So it's the average performance of the last 3 years and the last year weights more right?

Roy Oswalts ERA the last 3 seasons:
2010: 2.76
2011: 3.69
2012: 5.80

So thats a 90 rating, considering 2012 is the most important? Maybe if 2010 was but how can they rate him that high, considering his ERA in 2012? Doesn't have Johnny Cueto have an 85 rating or smth?

And since Oswalts health is an issue how will it be when I sign him, how high is the chance he'll end up being on the DL most of the time?
ERA is not the best stats to evaluate the pitcher's effectiveness, and it also is a vague indicator of pitchers' specific abilities, so the games like this tend not to use them to rate players.

In Oswalts case, he probably is still rated highly due to the very limited playing time he had in 2012 (i.e., higher weighting 2012 is overshadowed by his effective 2010 season, etc...)
Old 02-28-2013, 12:44 AM   #37
Rookie

ondreythegiant's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUTiger1
Consistent hitter? In the first half of last season he was God offensive and the 2nd half he was one of the worst hitters in baseball. He's not that good of a hitter overall and 150 plus strikeouts as a leadoff hitter with few walks is not a good leadoff hitter. He's a career .272 hitter. That really screams great leadoff hitter. I'm one of the few Braves fans that wanted no part of re-signing Bourn and I'm so glad he's gone.
He finished last year with a .283 and is a gold glove outfielder who led the NL in stolen bases the last 4 years. Sure he strikes out alot, but that won't deflate his rating. BTW, .272 isn't that terrible post-steroid era. He's a prototypical leadoff hitter and centerfielder.

Subscribe and follow!
Old 02-28-2013, 11:30 AM   #38
MVP

geisterhome's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomo17k
ERA is not the best stats to evaluate the pitcher's effectiveness, and it also is a vague indicator of pitchers' specific abilities, so the games like this tend not to use them to rate players.

In Oswalts case, he probably is still rated highly due to the very limited playing time he had in 2012 (i.e., higher weighting 2012 is overshadowed by his effective 2010 season, etc...)
I actually took a look at his other stats and they weren't all that amazing either But i get what you mean and yea I guess that's how he got a 90 rating.

Anyways, lets say if I decide to sign Roy Oswald am I at least at a high risk that he'll sustain some injuries/fatigue over the course of the season? With other words is there a rating that determines how injury prone a player is and does it work well to replicate the risk you would have in real life when signing a pitcher with a good share of injury problems in the past, or do I have a good chance that I'll get ace like 200+ innigs from a pitcher like Oswalt?
Old 02-28-2013, 11:49 AM   #39
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by geisterhome
I actually took a look at his other stats and they weren't all that amazing either But i get what you mean and yea I guess that's how he got a 90 rating.

Anyways, lets say if I decide to sign Roy Oswald am I at least at a high risk that he'll sustain some injuries/fatigue over the course of the season? With other words is there a rating that determines how injury prone a player is and does it work well to replicate the risk you would have in real life when signing a pitcher with a good share of injury problems in the past, or do I have a good chance that I'll get ace like 200+ innigs from a pitcher like Oswalt?
I think the injury frequency is tied to Durability rating (which is a major factor in fatigue therefore playing time....) so it depends on his rating there.

I still think rating this kind of players can improve, to better reflect the real life increase/decline in recent years.... haha
Old 02-28-2013, 12:03 PM   #40
LADetermined

ShowTyme15's Arena

OVR: 12

The only issue I see with the list(other than the players that should be on teams which is an easy fix)is Micah Owings is no longer a pitcher he is now a first baseman in the Nationals organization. The guy can rake too.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »