Home

MLB 13 The Show - The Player Ratings Algorithm Has Changed, 17 Players Rated 99

This is a discussion on MLB 13 The Show - The Player Ratings Algorithm Has Changed, 17 Players Rated 99 within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 02-24-2013, 10:09 AM   #273
We're Going Farming

Equinox831's Arena

OVR: 18
Re: MLB 13 The Show - The Player Ratings Algorithm Has Changed, 17 Players Rated 99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavicchi
Braun linked to performance enhancing drugs shouldn't be a 99.
Well when ratings are based off of stats and observing the player it's hard to deny him the 99. I don't really know what kind of deductions you could make just because they're linked to steroid usage. If The Show implemented classic teams and they managed to get Barry Bonds' likeness in the game would you want him to have a measly 50 power just because of the allegations against him or would you want him to be at his best regardless of the situation? At the end of the day it's a video game and dammit I want Ryan Braun to be a tree trunk wielding, bear tranquilizer drinking, 350 pound HGH injecting monster!
Old 02-24-2013, 10:23 AM   #274
MVP

OVR: 1
Re: MLB 13 The Show - The Player Ratings Algorithm Has Changed, 17 Players Rated 99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equinox831
Well when ratings are based off of stats and observing the player it's hard to deny him the 99. I don't really know what kind of deductions you could make just because they're linked to steroid usage. If The Show implemented classic teams and they managed to get Barry Bonds' likeness in the game would you want him to have a measly 50 power just because of the allegations against him or would you want him to be at his best regardless of the situation? At the end of the day it's a video game and dammit I want Ryan Braun to be a tree trunk wielding, bear tranquilizer drinking, 350 pound HGH injecting monster!
As I see it, "cheaters" are not heroes or superstars.
Old 02-24-2013, 12:18 PM   #275
MVP

bp4baseball's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavicchi
As I see it, "cheaters" are not heroes or superstars.
Regardless of how he is achieving his stats, he is achieving them, and I think the game should accurately reflect them
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-24-2013, 12:23 PM   #276
MVP

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp4baseball
Regardless of how he is achieving his stats, he is achieving them, and I think the game should accurately reflect them
Yes, after all, they didn't deduct anything from Melky, just a 50 game suspension. I guess you can always do that in this game.
Old 02-24-2013, 08:04 PM   #277
MVP

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equinox831
As a slightly more ****** observer of baseball I get the idea that Ryan Braun is great!!!

You mentioning Barry Bonds though is an argument against the 0-100 rating system. Are there any players in baseball in the same league as Bonds was during his peak? I doubt it. But, if they were on the same game it would come across that Carlos Gonzalez is of the same ilk as Barry Bonds.
Old 02-25-2013, 02:49 AM   #278
Rookie

OVR: 0

Carlos Gonzalez is rated 99 but Joey Votto isn't? Tulo rated 99 I can agree with, his numbers are at least similar at Coors and away from Coors.

Cargo's Home and Away splits for the last two years as an example:

2012;
Home: .368/13 HRs/58 RBIs/.437 OBP (68 Games)
Away: .234/9 HRs/27 RBIs/.301 OBP (67 Games)

2011;
Home: .331/16 HRs/60 RBIs/.402 OBP (66 Games)
Away: .252/10 HRs/32 RBIs/.317 OBP (59 Games)

The number's don't lie, if he's as good as everyone think's he is he'd be putting up numbers away from Coors as well. Take him away from Coors and I'd be willing to bet he'd just be an average player, if that.

Also, while Trout did have an amazing rookie year last year, I don't think one amazing year in the league warrants a 99 rating. He deserves a rating in the 90s, but definitely not a 99 rating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatsareBugs
Overall ratings need to go, let's just have a 20-80 scale for hitting, fielding, power, speed, and arm for position players and stamina, control, individual pitch grades, etc. for pitchers.

On a more serious note, I don't find a problem with the ratings, it's just that if you did have a well-balanced pitcher or position player, let's say 70's across the board, they'll easily get close to that 99 or A+ rating without really having an outstanding tool. I recall I reached max overall in RTTS with none of my rating grades as a C, so yes, players can have ratings that push them above 99 that the game can't reflect. I don't see what's wrong with it, some players now are just as good as HOF'ers of the past, maybe not for their career.
I would absolutely love to see the rating system changed to what you suggested, it makes the most sense.

Last edited by paradox1987; 02-25-2013 at 03:00 AM.
Old 02-25-2013, 02:58 AM   #279
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradox1987
Carlos Gonzalez is rated 99 but Joey Votto isn't? Tulo rated 99 I can agree with, his numbers are at least similar at Coors and away from Coors.

Cargo's Home and Away splits for the last two years as an example:

2012;
Home: .368/13 HRs/58 RBIs/.437 OBP (68 Games)
Away: .234/9 HRs/27 RBIs/.301 OBP (67 Games)

2011;
Home: .331/16 HRs/60 RBIs/.402 OBP (66 Games)
Away: .252/10 HRs/32 RBIs/.317 OBP (59 Games)

The number's don't lie, if he's as good as everyone think's he is he'd be putting up numbers away from Coors as well. Take him away from Coors and I'd be willing to bet he'd just be an average player, if that.

Also, while Trout did have an amazing rookie year last year, I don't think one amazing year in the league warrants a 99 rating. He deserves a 90 rating, but definitely not a 99 rating.
I think the park factors aren't rigorously considered when rating players. Maybe the game should consider them more.
Old 02-25-2013, 04:25 AM   #280
MVP

Houston's Arena

OVR: 0

I don't think any player should be rated 99 and I hope that the SHOW doesn't turn into what Donny Moore did with Madden with all his 99 player ratings.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »