Home

MLB 13 The Show Video - The Show Live

This is a discussion on MLB 13 The Show Video - The Show Live within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 02-16-2013, 04:04 PM   #193
The Future

seanjeezy's Arena

OVR: 34
Re: MLB 13 The Show Video - The Show Live

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomo17k
Those numbers are from labeling pitches by movement, and not how the pitcher/scout/people call those pitches, correct? The complication here is that the name "circle change" derives from how the pitcher grips the ball, and not how it moves. There are many guys who throw (straight) change which moves like circle change in the game (tailing action).
That's the problem, I've stated many times that the name of the pitch is insignificant, proper movement is much. more. important. I don't know why this is so hard to understand lol

Felix has been given a straight change every year he has been in The Show... Does that look like a straight change to you?

AFAIK, scouts aren't very picky about pitch types... fastball, slider,curve,change,specialty (cut,split,knuckle, etc.) is all they need to know. pitches aren't differentiated by grip, they are differentiated by movement. You often hear these words - Life, run, fade, ride, cut, sink, bite, sweep, two-plane break, slurvy... The list goes on. Since the game requires one to be overly specific when determining pitch types, movement is the way to determine pitch classification, or else the result is an inaccurate representation of the pitch.

Last edited by seanjeezy; 02-16-2013 at 04:38 PM.
Old 02-16-2013, 05:17 PM   #194
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanjeezy
That's the problem, I've stated many times that the name of the pitch is insignificant, proper movement is much. more. important. I don't know why this is so hard to understand lol

Felix has been given a straight change every year he has been in The Show... Does that look like a straight change to you?

AFAIK, scouts aren't very picky about pitch types... fastball, slider,curve,change,specialty (cut,split,knuckle, etc.) is all they need to know. pitches aren't differentiated by grip, they are differentiated by movement. You often hear these words - Life, run, fade, ride, cut, sink, bite, sweep, two-plane break, slurvy... The list goes on. Since the game requires one to be overly specific when determining pitch types, movement is the way to determine pitch classification, or else the result is an inaccurate representation of the pitch.
No, Felix's change doesn't go straight down, but he probably doesn't grip it making a circle with his thumb and and index finger, does he (IDK myself)? That's what makes the system confusing right now.

I don't think it's hard to understand, but it's just the limitation right now... if you go by the movement, the pitch may be given weird name, if you go by name, the pitch doesn't necessarily move correctly. Pitch labeling in the game isn't a perfect system and I'm not sure if there's anything new coming up to drastically change one way or another. I want to see a system that purely goes by pitch fx data (even more so that right now), but that might not happen so easily...
Old 02-16-2013, 05:45 PM   #195
The Future

seanjeezy's Arena

Quote:
No, Felix's change doesn't go straight down, but he probably doesn't grip it making a circle with his thumb and and index finger, does he (IDK myself)? That's what makes the system confusing right now.

I don't think it's hard to understand, but it's just the limitation right now... if you go by the movement, the pitch may be given weird name, if you go by name, the pitch doesn't necessarily move correctly. Pitch labeling in the game isn't a perfect system and I'm not sure if there's anything new coming up to drastically change one way or another. I want to see a system that purely goes by pitch fx data (even more so that right now), but that might not happen so easily...
He throws a split-circle, the "OK" sign is just a way to put pressure on the inside of the ball to manipulate the fading/diving movement.

Anyway, I know there's a really fine line here... I'm sure there are people who could care less how the pitch moves as long as its "labeled" correctly, and then there's the rest who don't care about the name and more about the movement. I've come to cope with the limitations of the system and try to incorporate both when I do edits, off the top of my head the most notable example is Kimbrel's breaking ball - he calls it a curve, it breaks like a curve, but its speed is more like a slider and therefore f/x calls it a slider... In-game the velocity cap for curveballs is 84 mph, so I have no choice but to give him a slurve. Situations like these require a human eye, there's no way around it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-16-2013, 05:58 PM   #196
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

Quote:
He throws a split-circle, the "OK" sign is just a way to put pressure on the inside of the ball to manipulate the fading/diving movement.

Anyway, I know there's a really fine line here... I'm sure there are people who could care less how the pitch moves as long as its "labeled" correctly, and then there's the rest who don't care about the name and more about the movement. I've come to cope with the limitations of the system and try to incorporate both when I do edits, off the top of my head the most notable example is Kimbrel's breaking ball - he calls it a curve, it breaks like a curve, but its speed is more like a slider and therefore f/x calls it a slider... In-game the velocity cap for curveballs is 84 mph, so I have no choice but to give him a slurve. Situations like these require a human eye, there's no way around it.
Yup... eventually I want to see different pitches even more dynamically affecting the gameplay and more closely aligned with pitch fx data...

I don't know if this has been mentioned, but the pitch edits in the player editor this year works like RTTS, where the min and max pitch speed for individual pitch vary according to the rest of the pitch speed repertoire. Don't know if this solves the Kimbrel issue but if you are doing pitch edits that's something to keep in mind.....
Old 02-16-2013, 06:31 PM   #197
The Future

seanjeezy's Arena

Quote:
Yup... eventually I want to see different pitches even more dynamically affecting the gameplay and more closely aligned with pitch fx data...

I don't know if this has been mentioned, but the pitch edits in the player editor this year works like RTTS, where the min and max pitch speed for individual pitch vary according to the rest of the pitch speed repertoire. Don't know if this solves the Kimbrel issue but if you are doing pitch edits that's something to keep in mind.....
Hmm... very interesting. I haven't really dabbled into RTTS since '10 so I don't really remember how the system works - what is the minimum difference in fastball/changeup separation? I'm really hoping you say zero lol

Last edited by seanjeezy; 02-16-2013 at 06:33 PM.
Old 02-16-2013, 10:04 PM   #198
Banned

vcu9's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
This should be alleviated - they're directly affiliated with MLB.com and therefore MLB gameday (pitch f/x) as well. The big issue now is pitch classification and movement, since the system only designates 12 pitch types (I believe The Show has 18 types), don't expect to see these pitch types with any regularity: running fastballs, circle changeups, 12-6 curves, sweeping curves, or slurves. It sucks because running fastballs (4-seam with movement) and circle changes are two of the most common pitches thrown in the MLB...

Here are some numbers to put it in perspective:

I have 805 MLB pitchers with pitch f/x data, 262 (32.5%) have a running fastball as their primary pitch, 221 (27.4%) have a 4-seam, 138 (17.1%) have a 2-seam, 89 (11%) have a sinker.

547 (68%) throw a circle change, 159 (19.8%) throw a straight change.

225 (28%) throw a traditional curve, 183 (22.7%) throw a sweeping curve, 42 (5.2%) throw 12-6 curve

478 (59.4%) throw a slider, 87 (10.8%) throw a slurve

446 (55.4%) throw a running fastball, 303 (37.6%) throw a 4-seam

I just want to say THANK YOU SO MUCH for all you do Mr. SeanJezzy!!

Your Pitch Edits are TREMENDOUS
Old 02-16-2013, 10:15 PM   #199
Rookie

Unit303's Arena

OVR: 2

Can somebody tell me if they have changed Anti-Aliasing from 2xMSAA to a post-processing method? I think maybe I have been playing on PC too long but this one is looking extra jaggy to my eyes. Thanks for any help. I know how they are starved for memory. PS4 coming soon!
Old 02-16-2013, 11:33 PM   #200
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

Quote:
Hmm... very interesting. I haven't really dabbled into RTTS since '10 so I don't really remember how the system works - what is the minimum difference in fastball/changeup separation? I'm really hoping you say zero lol

It's not an entirely new system... I don't remember how those speeds vary, they could be exactly the same as in MLB 12 or different. But roughly what happens is that, say, you want your pitcher to have 100 mph 4SFB. So, you give Pitch Speed = 99. However, this doesn't quite bring his velocity to 100 mph, if the rest of his pitches have low pitch speed ratings....

So this might actually alleviate too much speed differentials among pitches... though how exactly this happens, I didn't test thoroughly (I could've... see how much I blanked out at the event). But, unfortunately, I think the game doesn't treat CH as a pitch to take some speed off of the pitcher's fastest pitch.... so if you let a position player pitch, then I think he'd still have 75 mph 4SFB and 84 mph CH or something like that.

Last edited by nomo17k; 02-16-2013 at 11:46 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »