Home

MLB 13 The Show Features Twitter Feeds From Approved and Official Twitter Handles

This is a discussion on MLB 13 The Show Features Twitter Feeds From Approved and Official Twitter Handles within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 02-03-2013, 01:59 AM   #145
MVP

MrOldboy's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: MLB 13 The Show Features Twitter Feeds From Approved and Official Twitter Handles

Quote:
Originally Posted by CubsHOF
That is my understanding as well, that it adds a new panel to the player cards. I do not know if there is a way to disable it or not. If you don't want to use it, just don't look at it or skip by it in the player card. If you don't like it, it really doesn't affect you to just skip by it. This reminds me of the old MVP days when people complained that Franchise had the OPTION to play in different stadiums. People would really get upset on forums saying it was unrealistic to allow people to play in anything but the home stadium and it should not be allowed. As if someone else should get a say what YOU do with YOUR franchise. Same here, it is just an OPTION, even if it can not be turned off it can be completely ignored by skipping past it. If you do not like it and do not want to use it, it does not affect you at all.
It is true that it can be ignored, but people who don't want to see it can't just unsee it. There will be an extra panel that they need to skip to get to whatever panel they want. I'm more curious about the feature than anything. Its in the game, that is done. I'm just curious as to how it will work now.

One thing I am still confuses me about this feature though. Has it been said if the tweets will be vetted at all? Or will it just be a stream from their feed?

Will it be all tweets by the players' twitter handles? There is a lot of useless stuff posted by a lot of players. I don't want to see retweets at all for example.

Plus there are things like this...

A bit odd to see in the game if this was posted during the season by a player.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-06-2013, 02:35 AM   #146
MVP

rjackson's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: MLB 13 The Show Features Twitter Feeds From Approved and Official Twitter Handles

Quote:
Originally Posted by CubsHOF
...with MLB's big Twitter push this is likely in the game at their request.
Goodonya, I didn't think about that.

My only real rebuttal to the inclusion is that everyone is pushing it so much and society, in general, are lemmings. I'm sick of the corporate marketing conglomerate "Like us on Facebook!" crap and celebrity gossip...not to mention the fools whose nose is always in their phone when they shouldn't be just so your data can be gathered, mined, and sold later. Like someone else pointed out, it is just another way to put your brand out there.

Here, in the US, we do not realize the value of our personal information whereas it is looked at as an inalienable right in Europe. As a matter of fact, either England or the EU (I don't recall which) is considering requiring opt-outs so your data could not be gathered, mined, and sold later. The US is looking out for corporate interests instead of our own and have been sending lobbyists to try and stop it from happening.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:40 AM   #147
Banned

CubsHOF's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjackson
Goodonya, I didn't think about that.

My only real rebuttal to the inclusion is that everyone is pushing it so much and society, in general, are lemmings. I'm sick of the corporate marketing conglomerate "Like us on Facebook!" crap and celebrity gossip...not to mention the fools whose nose is always in their phone when they shouldn't be just so your data can be gathered, mined, and sold later. Like someone else pointed out, it is just another way to put your brand out there.

Here, in the US, we do not realize the value of our personal information whereas it is looked at as an inalienable right in Europe. As a matter of fact, either England or the EU (I don't recall which) is considering requiring opt-outs so your data could not be gathered, mined, and sold later. The US is looking out for corporate interests instead of our own and have been sending lobbyists to try and stop it from happening.
Hey now that I agree with completely. I don't care for social media either and really hate using it and know all the evils involved with it. If we're going from this perspective then no I don't want it in the game either, but MLB and their brands (the players) are pushing it and this is just another way to grow their brands and profits. I do find it kind of annoying as well that it is in the player card as well instead of somewhere else in the game where someone who really wants to access it can see it. Here you are going to browse by it if you want to or not and you are using your internet data to download it unless it can be turned off, but I bet if you turn it off you don't get any MLB live updates either. I just don't want anyone to see me as a defender of social media, just explaining my view of how I see what the situation at hand is.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:41 AM   #148
Banned

CubsHOF's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxFan01605
Yeah, I get you. I know there was commentary about disliking social media and not liking it's invasion in the game, but it's a thread on the feature, so I viewed that less as complaints and more as just on-topic commentary since it was mostly just giving their rationale for not digging it. You're right though. For those who are that upset about it's inclusion simply due to the social media aspect (or that it was included at all), the "don't like it, don't use it" concept definitely applies. My only point in that regard was that for someone disappointed about unmet expectations, that concept doesn't fit so well.

And I'm not advocating an "either/or" mentality (I understand the differences in development focuses and that it's a process to add anything), I was simply stating what I feel the primary issue seems to be. I think the expectation or hope (when it was listed in the fact sheet) was that it would be a franchise feature, which is why it's brought up in that context.

Like I said, when the game is out (hell, probably by the time the next big blog topic is out) this will become less of a hot-topic. Right now, it's a recent update about the Twitter feature, so we're just getting various thoughts on it (in way more depth than it probably warrants...lol).
Yep I agree completely, didn't mean to single you out at all was just speaking to those ideas in general as I knew you were as well.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:46 AM   #149
Banned

CubsHOF's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOldboy
It is true that it can be ignored, but people who don't want to see it can't just unsee it. There will be an extra panel that they need to skip to get to whatever panel they want. I'm more curious about the feature than anything. Its in the game, that is done. I'm just curious as to how it will work now.

One thing I am still confuses me about this feature though. Has it been said if the tweets will be vetted at all? Or will it just be a stream from their feed?

Will it be all tweets by the players' twitter handles? There is a lot of useless stuff posted by a lot of players. I don't want to see retweets at all for example.

Plus there are things like this...

A bit odd to see in the game if this was posted during the season by a player.
Of all the Tweets I have seen that seems to be one of the more newsworthy ones actually. Anyway, I agree with you that it is kind of odd that its in the player card instead of somewhere else where if someone wants to use it they can or if you want to ignore it completely you can, but I am sure that is by design. I kind of doubt it will be vetted, I'm sure SECA isn't paying someone to sit there and vet tweets all day.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:37 AM   #150
Banned

OVR: 19
Really bummed. Thought it would be used in franchise mode.

I don't get why it wouldn't update daily. Instead updated weekly and already seeing tweets I've seen from 4 days before.

Doesn't make sense but I guess it's cool.

Is there any way to disable this?
Old 02-07-2013, 09:58 AM   #151
[Player 1]

thaSLAB's Arena

OVR: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by iRepIndiana
Really bummed. Thought it would be used in franchise mode.

I don't get why it wouldn't update daily. Instead updated weekly and already seeing tweets I've seen from 4 days before.

Doesn't make sense but I guess it's cool.

Is there any way to disable this?
The actual tweets are in real-time. They update as they are posted. What they mean by twitter handles being updated weekly, is that if someone changes their @twittername or a player starts a twitter account, they will attach that account to the player in the roster. Btw, this is the same for player pics after trades/callups.

As for disabling, no way to do that, but you could play the game for a year and not have to see it. The main feature is in the front end of the game, like the MLB.com news. On the player cards, its the last tab, so just don't press L1/R1 that fifth time.

#tothetweetyall

-- Sent from the Future...

YouTube

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-07-2013, 07:35 PM   #152
Banned

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaSLAB
The actual tweets are in real-time. They update as they are posted. What they mean by twitter handles being updated weekly, is that if someone changes their @twittername or a player starts a twitter account, they will attach that account to the player in the roster. Btw, this is the same for player pics after trades/callups.

As for disabling, no way to do that, but you could play the game for a year and not have to see it. The main feature is in the front end of the game, like the MLB.com news. On the player cards, its the last tab, so just don't press L1/R1 that fifth time.

#tothetweetyall

-- Sent from the Future...
Thanks for going in depth for me and really explaining that for me I was clearly misunderstanding the whole thing. Thanks again.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »