Home

MLB 13 The Show Fact Sheet

This is a discussion on MLB 13 The Show Fact Sheet within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 01-15-2013, 07:46 PM   #353
MVP

MetsFan16's Arena

OVR: 4
Re: MLB 13 The Show Fact Sheet

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGHitman14
Read and re read. I see a lot of fluff in an effort to seem like much has been done. It reminds me of my college essays where there is about 30% content and the rest is BS to hit the word count limit.

Takes a BS'er to know a BS'er.

I don't care that being a catcher is cooler now. I don't care that there is less commentary to give RTTS a different feel.

"One of the most popular aspects of MLB 13 The Show, Road To The Show, has been reworked this year in an effort to provide players with the most immersive and realistic on-field experience ever in a sports video game. More focus has been made to bring simpler control over a users’ player on the field in order to bring an unparalleled experience to the game. Environmental improvements, such as a revamped on-field sound system, enhances hundreds of new sound FX, player yells, and crowd sounds so they are heard prominently and realistically from the player's perspective on the field. Other notable improvements include a new user-controlled catch system, a revamped catcher mode, an improved Performance Evaluator to include baserunning and fielding, new custom batting animation sets, pitch type tip-offs when on defense, position-specific tasks such as calling for a pick-off as a middle infielder, and much more."

You have this entire paragraph of fluff.

Everything that's bolded says this:
- "On field acoustics have been revamped so directional sound is more realistic"

The rest appears to be a few tweaks to catching, baserunning, and fielding.

What about RTTS at it's core, a more realistic process of being promoted and demoted and team rosters being handled more accurately to portray what would happen in real life under similar circumstances? More realistic use as a utility player, less unrealistic flip flopping between being a RP to SP to RP to SP as a progressing between each level, and more.

That's what I want. Not to be able to hear the dude in front of me whistle because the big screen behind me is playing music to a cute girl in the stands....

For me to be a fan, SCEA needs to cut the BS, give the devs more money to spend on R&D, and cut some funds to their silly marketing. Will this happen? Probably not. It's a business. The money goes where it's projected to create the greatest ROI.

Sad, but true.
I care a great deal about the revamped catcher mode. In the past few editions of MLB The Show since catcher mode was implemented into the game, it was the same. No matter what options you selected, you had to call every single pitch of every single game of your career. Including the dog days of August in the minor leagues. I for one, couldn't get past the first week of the first season in Double-A as a catcher. I could not sit there and call every pitch for these scrubs in the minor leagues.

Imagine this. Let's say, you aren't a catcher, but you are an outfielder. And let's say that you had to stand in the outfield for every single pitch. You couldn't select the option that allows you to play the pitch where a ball is hit towards you and you must make a play on. This isn't just for the outfield, it could be for infielders as well. Imagine having to watch every pitch of every game. It is the main reason why people wouldn't play as catchers in RTTS because they could not stand having to call every pitch/location of every game. Then think about doing your time in the minor leagues, and then playing a full MLB career of 15-20 years. Having to sit through every game of your 20-25 year RTTS. I know I wouldn't be able to do that.

Thankfully, the dev team over at SCEA realized that this is an issue for people who play RTTS. I don't know all of the details of this revamped catcher mode, but I am assuming that it is similar to playing as a shortstop in RTTS. I'm hoping that when you are a catcher in RTTS, you only have to play the pitches that involve the catcher. Plays including, potential steals, foul pop-ups around home plate, and bunt plays. This would be the basic plays. I understand that a catcher is involved in every play during a baseball game, whether it's backing up first base on a ground ball or telling the outfielders where to throw the ball in to get the runners advancing.

The reason I am so excited about this revamped catcher mode over all other improvements to this great game is because I am the varsity catcher for my high school team. I have been catching since I was playing baseball. Growing up in New York watching Mike Piazza go out there everyday made me want to suit up and get behind the plate every time I'm at the baseball field. But as I mentioned before, in previous editions of MLB The Show, it was nearly impossible to have a solid career in RTTS as a catcher. this forced me to play as a third baseman or even a corner outfield position. It just wasn't as enjoyable (even though I do spend most of my time with this game in my RTTS) as it could have been if I was behind the plate.

The revamped catcher mode may not be as flashy as some other improvements to this game, but it definitely means the world to me. Thank You SCEA and all involved.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:58 PM   #354
87%

ty5oke's Arena

OVR: 25

As a franchise offline only player, there are some very nice additions on the list. My major concerns the past 3 years is lack of immersion in my franchise and I'm not sure how much this will change. I do like the sounds of new player progression.

I was really hoping for all-new dynamic commentary. If I'm in 2015, I want the commentators to mention my previous history (award winners, top prospects, records).

I was also hoping for some kind of weekly tv wrap up show or something that lets me know whats going on in my franchise.

Operation Sports OOTP League
Old 01-15-2013, 08:01 PM   #355
OCD Roster Editor

rovert22044's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaSLAB
Spoiler

Here you go rovert:
Awwwww man. Oh well. Game is still going to be the best ever. Maybe next year they'll be added!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-15-2013, 08:06 PM   #356
Banned

OVR: 7

But will the show have different pitching mechanics? Sorry but I can't stand the pitching in the show. Pulse and meter don't do it for me. Sorry but all that and the same pitching equals no purchase for me.

Last edited by celtics6; 01-15-2013 at 08:32 PM.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:13 PM   #357
SCEA Community Manager

Russell_SCEA's Arena

OVR: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by celtics6
But will the show have different pitching mechanics? Sorry but I can't stand the pitching in the show. Pulse and meter don't do it for me. Sorry but all that and the same pitching equals no purchase for me.
There are four different pitching options: Classic, Meter, Analog, and Pulse.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:47 PM   #358
Banned

Quote:
It's OK. Don't be sorry, but like Ramone said, they're are more than pulse and meter options.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:52 PM   #359
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetsFan16
I care a great deal about the revamped catcher mode. In the past few editions of MLB The Show since catcher mode was implemented into the game, it was the same. No matter what options you selected, you had to call every single pitch of every single game of your career. Including the dog days of August in the minor leagues. I for one, couldn't get past the first week of the first season in Double-A as a catcher. I could not sit there and call every pitch for these scrubs in the minor leagues.

Imagine this. Let's say, you aren't a catcher, but you are an outfielder. And let's say that you had to stand in the outfield for every single pitch. You couldn't select the option that allows you to play the pitch where a ball is hit towards you and you must make a play on. This isn't just for the outfield, it could be for infielders as well. Imagine having to watch every pitch of every game. It is the main reason why people wouldn't play as catchers in RTTS because they could not stand having to call every pitch/location of every game. Then think about doing your time in the minor leagues, and then playing a full MLB career of 15-20 years. Having to sit through every game of your 20-25 year RTTS. I know I wouldn't be able to do that.

Thankfully, the dev team over at SCEA realized that this is an issue for people who play RTTS. I don't know all of the details of this revamped catcher mode, but I am assuming that it is similar to playing as a shortstop in RTTS. I'm hoping that when you are a catcher in RTTS, you only have to play the pitches that involve the catcher. Plays including, potential steals, foul pop-ups around home plate, and bunt plays. This would be the basic plays. I understand that a catcher is involved in every play during a baseball game, whether it's backing up first base on a ground ball or telling the outfielders where to throw the ball in to get the runners advancing.

The reason I am so excited about this revamped catcher mode over all other improvements to this great game is because I am the varsity catcher for my high school team. I have been catching since I was playing baseball. Growing up in New York watching Mike Piazza go out there everyday made me want to suit up and get behind the plate every time I'm at the baseball field. But as I mentioned before, in previous editions of MLB The Show, it was nearly impossible to have a solid career in RTTS as a catcher. this forced me to play as a third baseman or even a corner outfield position. It just wasn't as enjoyable (even though I do spend most of my time with this game in my RTTS) as it could have been if I was behind the plate.

The revamped catcher mode may not be as flashy as some other improvements to this game, but it definitely means the world to me. Thank You SCEA and all involved.
Well I rescind my broad comment saying nobody cares that being a catcher is cooler now. Obviously one person cares....

Haha, joking aside, you're right. My statement was very broad. I did not realize there was much interest in something like this so apparently my comment directly related to that was off base (no pun intended). My apologies. Maybe I will give catcher mode a try this year as I've only tried pitcher and infield.

As to seanjeezy, who has the balls of SCEA living in the back of his throat, I will overlook your ignorance since you've already mentioned that you're still in school trying to learn, but probably cheating there too while you steal from whatever company it is that you work for since you spend all your time there being unproductive.

Did you actually read what Russell's response was in reference too, or are you taking things out of context? He was saying that the cover athlete campaign had nothing to do with what R&D did with the money they were allocated. With the resources they were allocated, franchise and RTTS were a focal point. There were comments (myself included) about money being spent on the cover athlete, and Russell made it clear that the money spent on that had nothing to do with what R&D did with their resources. He was clarifying what he perceived to be accusations that R&D was mismanaging time and money.

Now, for the big picture. SCEA has $x (a finite number) to spend on MLB 13'. In budgeting they decide $y will go to R&D, $z will go to marketing, $m will go to finance, $t to customer service, etc. That's how it works. The higher ups then decide how the allocation of $x will generate the most sales. In many businesses these days, even outside the sports gaming industry, the focus has shifted to allocating a large portion of $x to advertising, which will directly impact the amount allocated to other departments. I can tell you not only from my education but experience in the real world as an employee and business owner that this is how things work. Pay attention in school and actually work at work and maybe you'll learn something.

We've clearly gone off on a tangent and detracted from the focal point of the thread, so I'll end rant here and not respond to this topic again.

Last edited by CGHitman14; 01-15-2013 at 10:19 PM.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:52 PM   #360
Rookie

JLL84's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
I'm a fan of all 4. What would you like? Honest question. Just curious, maybe throw out an idea and it makes it way into 14. Just my 2 cents.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »