Home

MLB 13 The Show - Beginner Mode Impressions

This is a discussion on MLB 13 The Show - Beginner Mode Impressions within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 12-15-2012, 11:57 PM   #73
Rookie

VonRye's Arena

OVR: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by DickDalewood
One of the many phenomena of OS... certain users believe THEY represent the majority opinion.

Thankfully, for the general gaming public, none of these forum members own or have any real say in our games. If they did, all of these companies would have been run into the ground by now for not trying to balance the sim crowd with the mass majority of users who just play for fun.

Kudos to SCEA for trying to widen their audience base and make their game more accessible to those who don't have hours a day to spend trying to perfect their videogame "skills".
Exactly. Some people don't understand English and they think everything revolves around them. If the new difficulty level is beneath you, then DONT USE IT. I haven't purchased this game the past 2 years because of NCAA Football (playing it year-round). But I'm seriously considering getting it again just to see the changes since I last played.
Old 12-16-2012, 12:42 AM   #74
Banned

OVR: 19
My thing about what Russell said newcomers wanting to hop right into the meat and potatoes, if there are pop ups in this mode during the game they aren't gonna read over the pop up and then continue.

They'll button mash faster than a NBA2k steal spammer trying to get off the page and continue playing. I don't see this mode being effective as the devs see it. They are just gonna play and not learn anything like before because they dont wanna read over pop up messages.

if there isn't going to be pop up text how else will it teach newcomers?

I think this is one last push to grab those poor 2k gamers.
Old 12-16-2012, 07:37 AM   #75
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

OVR: 37
Re: MLB 13 The Show - Beginner Mode Impressions

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoGotti
My thing about what Russell said newcomers wanting to hop right into the meat and potatoes, if there are pop ups in this mode during the game they aren't gonna read over the pop up and then continue.

They'll button mash faster than a NBA2k steal spammer trying to get off the page and continue playing. I don't see this mode being effective as the devs see it. They are just gonna play and not learn anything like before because they dont wanna read over pop up messages.

if there isn't going to be pop up text how else will it teach newcomers?

I think this is one last push to grab those poor 2k gamers.
I'm very interested to know how you've come up with this data?
Do you have an advanced copy of MLB 13 that you've shared with a large demographic to prove your findings?

Sorry for sounding like a douche, but you don't know how everyone will treat this mode.
I know for one that my sons will definitely use this mode and so will I.

Cheers!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-16-2012, 09:21 AM   #76
3X MLBTS Champion

mlblover15's Arena

OVR: 19

Originally Posted by Russell_SCEA View Post
Beginner mode was not designed for veterans of the series who know how the play the game. It was created for two sets of people those who have never played and those who struggle mightily making solid contact hitting the ball and/or recognizing pitch types.

All the batting practice modes are still there but not very many people want to open a game and jump right into batting practice because they aren't that good. The vast majority of games don't want to do this they want to jump right into the meat and potatoes and play.

Beginner mode allows a user to do this, they get the play a normal 9 inning game and be eased into the hitting aspect while at the same time having fun. By the time a user graduates out of beginner mode we've (hopefully) taught them a thing or two about pitch recognition, balls/strike recognition and patience at the plate. The batting practice modes don't do this, hence the need for another approach.

It's actually very very necessary this new feature isn't really for anyone on this site. We do extensive post morterms with all types of groups of gamers and one of the most consistent thing we've heard the past three years is the game isn't very accessible.

Making rookie easier (which we have done two years straight) isnt' the answer it's just an easier difficulty setting. That's not the issue people are having hence why we designed a new mode to help ease (those who need it) into the hitting portion of the game.

The purpose of beginner mode is to teach someone how to hit by starting out with squaring up on a fast ball down the middle of the plate and gradually working into fast ball placement. Eventually working into pitch recognition ball recognition and pitcher tendencies. Making the game easier accomplishes none of these issues.

Now your comment about the resources you really have no idea what you are talking about here. It's December we choose to talk about specific things during this time and this year it's beginner mode. The design and art work needed for feature completion is minimal when compared to the work that was done to franchise and RTTS. That's not even taking into account the other features and improvements that haven't been announced yet.

The timing window across the board has been widened a decent amount. This change alone has really opened the game up offensively and we have tweaked other areas to help compensate for this so the game doesn't turn into MLB Jam. I don't know if you will need a hitter's eye mechanic. Having you be able to see the ball spin is something we've thought about for the past year it's just that ball is really really small as is. If we did do something like that it might be gimmicky but who knows maybe we will prototype something like that if people continue to struggle this year.

Movement types not this year the hitting was already hard enough and we didn't want to introduce anything that could make it harder but next year is a different story. Jeff (a.i. programmer who gave everyone the new ball physics) already has an idea for this area of the game. We aren't doing it this year but next is a different story.

hopefully this will clear it all up for all of you!!!!

Last edited by mlblover15; 12-16-2012 at 09:24 AM.
Old 12-16-2012, 12:07 PM   #77
All Star

authentic's Arena

OVR: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuke_21
I would rather see improved stadium models, lighting, and animations (fielding, throwing, running) than improvements to rtts(never used it) and other such features. but thats just want I want..
Yes, this mode obviously is one of the only additions this year. SMH, do people read? What did Russell say a page or two ago. I'll let you find out for yourself about other improvements he said would be made.
Old 12-16-2012, 02:36 PM   #78
Can't spell antetokounmpo

Bahnzo's Arena

OVR: 30
Re: Beginner Mode: A Tutorial for MLB 13 The Show’s Non-Tutorial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight165
I've been playing The Show since 2005(and baseball games a LOT longer than that)(playing being a relative term in my case...but I do try)...and I still suck at hitting.
I swear ChrisSCEA put this in the game just to break my balls.
Well, considering you only play Manager Mode, I don't know why you'd be bothered with it to begin with?
Old 12-16-2012, 02:47 PM   #79
1B, OF

Perfect Zero's Arena

OVR: 29
Re: Beginner Mode: A Tutorial for MLB 13 The Show’s Non-Tutorial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahnzo
Well, considering you only play Manager Mode, I don't know why you'd be bothered with it to begin with?
I've played for years and getting the swing of the hitting game down is tough. I'm still not where I want to be.

Look, you think you're the Second Comming; we get that. For the 99% of us who are mere mortals, this mode is a great way to get into the game.

Old 12-16-2012, 03:43 PM   #80
Banned

OVR: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by authentic
Yes, this mode obviously is one of the only additions this year. SMH, do people read? What did Russell say a page or two ago. I'll let you find out for yourself about other improvements he said would be made.
If i see tim hudson still throwing like a 4 year old, then i know scea isnt spending enough time on important aspects of the game...

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »