Home

MLB 13 The Show - Beginner Mode Impressions

This is a discussion on MLB 13 The Show - Beginner Mode Impressions within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 12-15-2012, 02:48 PM   #65
Rookie

spike83's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: Beginner Mode: A Tutorial for MLB 13 The Show’s Non-Tutorial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahnzo
Beginner's mode...for whom? People in Yugoslavia who have no idea what baseball is? See the ball, hit the ball. What else do you need?
Once Yugoslavia was referenced I stopped reading your post; it's a nation that no longer exists...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-15-2012, 04:37 PM   #66
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
How about young kids that want to play a 'real' looking baseball game and not one populated by Mario or Sonic?
My son is almost 8, a baseball junkie (I coach him as well in LL) and huge fan of playing The Show 11 and 12. It took me a long time to teach him the finer aspects of playing this game and I also use it as a training tool for his development as a player.

We use The Show as our film study if you will. We use my hybrid slider set. The kid is hands down one of the smartest players on the field. He knows where to go with the ball before it is hit. A huge advantage at the LL level. Yeah I am a proud papa.

I am really pumped for this new mode so he can get coached by the game for pitch recognition. Although he is pretty good at it. Having the game teach him will be cool. Using the Show he has been able to take the fine art of hitting to the field by understanding how to go with a pitch, swinging late, making contact etc etc. truly awesome stuff and it made teaching him the game fun off the field when we have rainy days (which in South Florida can be often some parts of the year) or on days we do not practice.

So yes there is a purpose for this mode. I don't undertstand why anyone would have any hang-up about a tutorial mode?

Ridiculous!
NHL23 - Panthers YR1
Star Wars Outlaws

Follow me on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/armorandsword

Last edited by Armor and Sword; 12-15-2012 at 04:49 PM.
Old 12-15-2012, 04:38 PM   #67
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahnzo
That's already in the game, it's called Rookie Difficulty.

Just don't see this being necessary. Resources that could've been used elsewhere to improve the game.
Don't you realize they make the game for a wide variety of people ? They don't just make the game for people who have been playin' it since 2008.
Old 12-15-2012, 04:59 PM   #68
*ll St*r

Knight165's Arena

OVR: 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonadom
Don't you realize they make the game for a wide variety of people ? They don't just make the game for people who have been playin' it since 2008.
I've been playing The Show since 2005(and baseball games a LOT longer than that)(playing being a relative term in my case...but I do try)...and I still suck at hitting.
I swear ChrisSCEA put this in the game just to break my balls.

M.K.
Knight165
Old 12-15-2012, 05:05 PM   #69
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight165
I've been playing The Show since 2005(and baseball games a LOT longer than that)(playing being a relative term in my case...but I do try)...and I still suck at hitting.
I swear ChrisSCEA put this in the game just to break my balls.

M.K.
Knight165

The ultimate key to being a good hitter is working the count. It really comes down to that.

You get hitters counts....you get pitches you can groove.
NHL23 - Panthers YR1
Star Wars Outlaws

Follow me on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/armorandsword
Old 12-15-2012, 06:10 PM   #70
3X MLBTS Champion

mlblover15's Arena

OVR: 19
Re: MLB 13 The Show - Beginner Mode Impressions

This mode will be for those of us (Veterans or beginners) that have a hard time seeing pitches out of the pitchers hand. it will start with one pitch so you can get used to seeing what that one pitch does, then it will add locations, then once you have mastered that one pitch it will add another pitch until you can get the hang of that one once you have seen all the pitches and have mastered all of them it will start mixing it up with all the pitches...

currently batting practice has nothing on this at all.. i will be using this... if it can help me get off the use of guess pitch then hey all the better... i'm all in... there are several veterans of this franchise that have gotten tired of what is being called forced sim that this game offers.

why do you think everyone loved MVP for so long... it was fun, to a lot of people the series has lost its fun factor...
Old 12-15-2012, 07:07 PM   #71
All Star

DickDalewood's Arena

OVR: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonadom
One of the many phenomena of OS... certain users believe THEY represent the majority opinion.

Thankfully, for the general gaming public, none of these forum members own or have any real say in our games. If they did, all of these companies would have been run into the ground by now for not trying to balance the sim crowd with the mass majority of users who just play for fun.

Kudos to SCEA for trying to widen their audience base and make their game more accessible to those who don't have hours a day to spend trying to perfect their videogame "skills".
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-15-2012, 09:03 PM   #72
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48
Re: MLB 13 The Show - Beginner Mode Impressions

Interestingly enough, this beginner mode progression seems very similar to something I do sometimes in batting practice mode when I'm slumping. It's not quite the same since BP can throw you any pitch in a guy's repertoire, but it's close. I start with contact or timing practice and just try to square up the ball. Then move on to recognition and start to identify the break in pitches (and to swing or not). And then discipline, which can throw you absolutely anything and is closest to a real game situation.

This mode seems like a simplified progression of something like that, and I definitely think it's a good idea for series newcomers. New players are going to want to jump into games and play, not spend hours in practice mode (and they may not even know all the different practice options that exist).

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »