Home

NBA 2K13 Review (360/PS3)

This is a discussion on NBA 2K13 Review (360/PS3) within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 10-11-2012, 08:26 AM   #81
Rookie

OVR: 0
Very impressed with the game, but no game is perfect. Can't wait for the rosters and any game improvements on patch coming.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-11-2012, 12:25 PM   #82
Rookie

Mister Magnus's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epiffani
Coming from someone who played NBA 2K12 a total of 10 times max, due to the neglectful nature of factoring in positioning on all fronts (my main problem with 2K12), NBA 2k13 is a far cry in that respect and it really is an excellent game that deserves the praise that it's largely getting.

The number one thing that I feel like they absolutely nailed this year -- and they always try to make this a point of emphasis, but they really fleshed it out this time around --is player differentiation. In the past, the ratings & tendencies, in combination with the numerous amounts of signature animations, were enough to visually see the difference amongst players, but throw into the mix signature skills, and you have players that feel completely different-- even those with similar attributes playing the same position. I've only been the Bulls and the Clippers, and Chris Paul and Derrick Rose (two elite PG's) feel completely different as far as when I'm controlling them. CP3 has a certain tempo to his game that I simply can not replicate when I'm controlling Rose and vice versa. When I'm controlling Rose, it's almost as if he's a highlight waiting to happen because of his athleticism. They're both 'explosive' guards, but at the same time, they are almost polar opposites from one another (just like in real life).... Just like the old adage of saying "there's more than one way to skin a cat" and I thoroughly enjoy using both of them equally because of it. It's seriously hard to play other sports games now because the lack of player individuality absolutely pales in comparisons to what NBA 2K13 has done with their 4 headed monster (ratings, tendencies, signature animations, and now signature skills).

NBA 2K13 (along with The Show although to a lesser extent) is the only sports game that I can play the appropriate, real life allotted time, and not feel like it's a choir to get through. In fact, when I'm playing offline, that's all I play is 12 minute quarters and I couldn't imagine playing any other way. Just think about some other sports video games out there and imagine trying to play the exact same minutes of the sport that they are attempting to simulate... Not only would it become monotonous after awhile out of sheer out of boredom, but the numbers would be way out of wack. All of my numbers when I'm playing 12 minute quarters in 2K13 are respectable and are not so 'far-fetched.'

This game, just like the review alluded to a bit, is also incredibly deep. My friend picked up the game on release, I went to his house and he hasn't even played the game yet. You know why? Because of the shoe creator (he was creating shoes when I went over there). He's absolutely locked in on that feature despite me telling him that there's a good game to be played.

The All-Star Weekend, much to my surprise, is extremely well done and the commentary just like the regular games is incredibly seamless and well done. I was playing the dunk contest, and the CPU did the exact same dunk as I did and three man crew clowned him because of it....

Of course there's negatives, which I'm sure I'll get into on here as time goes on, but I'm seriously amazed at this point from the improvement that they made in a year span with this title, especially as far as the gameplay is concerned. Fantastic game.
@Epiffani

Dude, you're so right about playing with 12 minute quarters. So spot on. And it's been that way for at least the past few years for me, too. In no other sports game would I ever play a true full-length game and in 2k I almost never want to play anything else. Maybe 8 or 9 minutes against a bud, but always 12 minutes against the CPU. And games never feel too long. Mark of a great simulation game.
Old 10-11-2012, 12:43 PM   #83
Pro

OVR: 24
Re: NBA 2K13 Review (360/PS3)

I'm sorry but how does a game receive a score above 7, when it has 2 entire game modes that are completely unplayable due to freezes (Association and MyCareer), disappearing score overlays, and quite a few other glitches?

I think 5/10 is far more appropriate until 2k finishes the job and fixes all the instabilities.
Old 10-11-2012, 06:03 PM   #84
Banned

I wonder how much 2k pays you guys....you make the game sound basically perfect, no negatives mention at all
Old 10-12-2012, 03:52 AM   #85
Rookie

archangelkatana's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by deezy24
I keep playing this game and while it's good it's not much more than good. I'm trying to in my head make this the best basketball game ever but it still has room for improvement in my opinion. I'm usually the one to give a game praises right off the bat and then change my mind but after playing this game in Exhibition mode and MyPlayer and MyPlayer mode is ok but not enough for me to want to gain more VC points to build my terrible player. One thing I noticed in this RPG MyPlayer mode is that this player you create gets drafted and he appears in the post game news conferences which in itself is a big joke. Who is this terrible player answering questions after games and is a no body?? Star players get interviewed and asked questions not rookies who are guys that are pee ons. Either way.....good game but doesn't floor me.
well if you look at the nfl and nba, first round picks are often interviewed after games. Look at robert griffin with the redskins, mike trout with the angels, and blake griffin, this year I am sure antonio davis will see tons of post game interviews. I agree if your myplayer is drafted in the second round, then it would be silly. but part of the interviews is to increase your fan base, and your team cameraderie based on your answers. My player was not the number 1 pick, but I was drafted in the lottery, I thiink number 12 by the suns. When I became a starter I requested a trade and got moved to my clippers. Now I really enjoy the games with mycareer. You can also use your created player on the blacktop mode.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-12-2012, 04:00 AM   #86
Rookie

archangelkatana's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampede_94
More like NBA2JAY. They need to tone down the amount of Jay Z videos etc. in this game. It steals the spotlight away from the NBA and not in a good way.
I agree too much jayz stuff, but at least the game has other music vids too. For nas the world is mine, in pregame while everyone is black and white the players will be bouncing a green and blue orb of the earth instead of a basketball..I thought that was a nice touch, I have also seen pregame vids with u2 elevation, and a song from coldplay...I am not a big jayz fan in general...but I have to say the pregame presentations are actually watchable this year, last year I stopped watching them after the first week. The pregames are pretty sweet for mycareer mode when your created player is a starter he starts showing up in the pregame movies and you can even give him animations like lebron's chalkdust, or kg punching the stanchion, or backflips, or kneel downs like tim tebow...Plus your name flashes across the screen in pregame sometimes...again this happens more once you are in your team's starting lineup...

I also love that steve kerr, and the other commentators talk about your game interviews from the past game. So if your an egomaniac they talk about it, they also talk about if your answers are team-oriented. They even make remarks about your signature skills. Its integrated nicely.
Old 10-12-2012, 10:40 AM   #87
MVP

DBMcGee3's Arena

OVR: 7
Tried to play as the Showtime Lakers this morning and learned that Kareem isn't on the game. Damn.....
Old 10-12-2012, 03:55 PM   #88
Rookie

OVR: 2
This game is not a 9.5, not even close. Put the game on Hall of Fame and play it, just once. Defense is still not fixed, you don't have the freedom to move, they make you strafe when you need to run. The game is 8.0 at best. Stop hyping the game up because the animations look pretty cool. Its not the worst game in the world, I think My Career needs a lot of work, you get blamed for things you have no control over. The CPU is still way to good on Hall of Fame level. The plays take way to long to run, ppl are just bouncing off each other. The game is not a 9.5, stop lying

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »