Home

NBA 2K13 Review (360/PS3)

This is a discussion on NBA 2K13 Review (360/PS3) within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 10-09-2012, 04:56 PM   #33
MVP

OVR: 30
I can agree with a 9.5 but would trim it down to 9.25, personally, just for more room for improvement sake. Heh. Greatest sports game I ever played, hands down, even with the flaws. I hope Mike removes left stick dribbling in his second phase of control stick for 14....or, rather, patch of out for THIS game (hint, hint M-Dub!!!). Feels like I'm fighting with my dribbling because of this, at times.
Old 10-09-2012, 05:20 PM   #34
MVP

OVR: 0
Re: NBA 2K13 Review (360/PS3)

Who cares what the score is ......great game ...8.5-----9.0-----9.5......10.....who cares...
Old 10-09-2012, 05:29 PM   #35
MVP

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultralow36
Who cares what the score is ......great game ...8.5-----9.0-----9.5......10.....who cares...
Because the score is a perfect reflection of how uncritical the review is.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-09-2012, 05:31 PM   #36
Rookie

Mister Magnus's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by richlane007
I think OS should do a review of the virtual currency issues and the scale of costs of items and skills in MyCareer.

Can I point out a VERY important thing that is missing from the came. AN INSTRUCTION BOOKLET that explains VC and where you earn it and how much you get for each mode?! Endless forum posts on people not sure why or when you earn VC.

So, i get it when i play a quick game, but not an association game...
But, some people get VC for Online Association...
You get it for MyCareer games and MyTeam but only when you are online, otherwise you get Skill Points...

The larger issue that I've come up with is that 2K has completely changed the focus of the game. I like to play association but when i played my first game and didn't get any VC i thought, "**** this..." at least if I play MyTeam exhibition games I get 150 VC for each game. My focus has been to earn VC so that I can get the most out of mades that used to be free. Good players in blacktop... cost VC. Basic accessories in MyCareer... cost VC. Hey MyTeam looks pretty cool... oh, costs VC.

And don't get on me about saying that 10,000 VC only cost $3. I bought a full price retail game and expect all of the modes to be playable and I expect to be competitive without shelling out more money. VC is fine for EXTRA purchases. If you want a Nike hoody for your MyPlayer in blacktop or a pregame ritual. But being able to get a generic headband for your rookie MyPlayer shouldn't cost you anything.

Review that, Operation Sports.
Dang, I'm right on with this. Not only can I not put the accoutrements on my virtual athlete that I would wear (or perhaps want to wear) IRL, but the cost is so exorbitant that I can't fathom EVER using VC on those things instead of bumping my mid-range game or adding a player skill.

Another thing, if I want to run two different MyCareer's -- hey, sometimes I want to play the game as a 5 and as a 2 -- MyCareer's will be battling over the VC in my bank. Not the most elegant solution, IMO.

I've been avoiding MyTeam for the moment b/c I don't want to accidentally drop any VC that I shoul be spending in MyCareer.

Finally, it would have been nice to have a few CHOICES when kitting out MyPlayer since I (and my friends) are going to be seeing him on the menu screen every time we hit it.

I love OS reviews for the details they latch onto as real, tried-and-true sports gamers. This 2k review felt a little light for having been in the hopper for the past week. I look forward to the bevy of sidebars and side discussions that are hopefully coming down the pipe soon.
Old 10-09-2012, 05:36 PM   #37
Rookie

OVR: 8
The original NBA 2K for Dreamcast came out in 1999, not 2000. C'mon, OS review guy. Get it together.
Old 10-09-2012, 06:19 PM   #38
Rookie

archangelkatana's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by richlane007
I think OS should do a review of the virtual currency issues and the scale of costs of items and skills in MyCareer.

Can I point out a VERY important thing that is missing from the came. AN INSTRUCTION BOOKLET that explains VC and where you earn it and how much you get for each mode?! Endless forum posts on people not sure why or when you earn VC.

So, i get it when i play a quick game, but not an association game...
But, some people get VC for Online Association...
You get it for MyCareer games and MyTeam but only when you are online, otherwise you get Skill Points...

The larger issue that I've come up with is that 2K has completely changed the focus of the game. I like to play association but when i played my first game and didn't get any VC i thought, "**** this..." at least if I play MyTeam exhibition games I get 150 VC for each game. My focus has been to earn VC so that I can get the most out of mades that used to be free. Good players in blacktop... cost VC. Basic accessories in MyCareer... cost VC. Hey MyTeam looks pretty cool... oh, costs VC.

And don't get on me about saying that 10,000 VC only cost $3. I bought a full price retail game and expect all of the modes to be playable and I expect to be competitive without shelling out more money. VC is fine for EXTRA purchases. If you want a Nike hoody for your MyPlayer in blacktop or a pregame ritual. But being able to get a generic headband for your rookie MyPlayer shouldn't cost you anything.

Review that, Operation Sports.
I love the game so far, but I also have noticed some errors with VC credits. I am able to earn them in all modes except for one. The association mode offline: Sometimes I earn credits, and sometimes I do not. I am not sure why. I did notice though that if you set your minutes played per quarter to a higher minute level, that you seem to earn more VC for association and for exhibition games. If my game would let me earn VC for all my association games, I would be really happy. But I enjoy the myteam, and mycareer modes. I have played online with quick teamup games, with like 7 to 8 humans at one time and a few computer players. That is fun. And blacktop is cool too, cause I could use myplayer that I created with current and legendary players. I found the 3pt shooting contest difficult, in that I could not even finish all the racks. I could make shots, but the buttons needed to shoot, run to the next rack and pick up balls from the container made it really hard to get around. And I tried it 3 times with different players so far. I have found the pro difficulty that is standard when the game loads is too easy for me. I went like 9-0 with the clippers in association mode to start the year. I blew out the lakers, heat, spurs, and thunder by more than 15 points in some of those games. The next difficulty all-star has been better though, so hopefully I will find a good balance of difficulty and challenge and still be able to win games. Overall this game is great, and I am glad I picked it up early. Just waiting for the roster updates at this point. And hopefully they can fix the VC so I can earn it during association mode that is offline.
Old 10-09-2012, 06:24 PM   #39
All Star

DickDalewood's Arena

OVR: 36

Completely agree with review and score. Best sports game this gen.
Old 10-09-2012, 06:28 PM   #40
Rookie

archangelkatana's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Magnus
Dang, I'm right on with this. Not only can I not put the accoutrements on my virtual athlete that I would wear (or perhaps want to wear) IRL, but the cost is so exorbitant that I can't fathom EVER using VC on those things instead of bumping my mid-range game or adding a player skill.

Another thing, if I want to run two different MyCareer's -- hey, sometimes I want to play the game as a 5 and as a 2 -- MyCareer's will be battling over the VC in my bank. Not the most elegant solution, IMO.

I've been avoiding MyTeam for the moment b/c I don't want to accidentally drop any VC that I shoul be spending in MyCareer.

Finally, it would have been nice to have a few CHOICES when kitting out MyPlayer since I (and my friends) are going to be seeing him on the menu screen every time we hit it.

I love OS reviews for the details they latch onto as real, tried-and-true sports gamers. This 2k review felt a little light for having been in the hopper for the past week. I look forward to the bevy of sidebars and side discussions that are hopefully coming down the pipe soon.
for the mycareer, if you buy certain team items say a "thunder" arm sleeve by adidas, you can earn points for three point shooting, and same for calf sleeves that can improve jumping or speed. The items that cost more than 2000 to 5000 points can give you permanent attribute raises. So it does make them useful investments for mycareer players for the appearance of your player and his skill level. Just click on these items, and it will tell you what attribute boosts it gives, and then if you like them you can confirm purchase. If you dont like the boost than just cancel the purchase. One thing for myteam signature skills though. If you assign a skill to a player you cannot save that skill. Meaning if you have a guy with deadeye, and then swap it for floor general. The deadeye skill will be erased permanently. So do not swap skills unless you are ok with losing the skill. I was hoping it would be given back to my collection so I could put it on a different teammate. But it doesnt work that way. So dont assign the skills immediately, until you are sure you want that player to keep that signature skill.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »