Home

NHL 13: Grading the Realism

This is a discussion on NHL 13: Grading the Realism within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 09-22-2012, 01:47 AM   #17
Rookie

Mikey88's Arena

OVR: 5
Great write up, pretty much sums up my feelings about the game.. I dont think offline versus CPU is even worth getting into. The AI is just not good enough. Online however seems like where this game comes alive.
I still like NHL 10 more than i have the last 3 years of NHL games combined in terms of game play. Obviously, 10 wasn't perfect but it was closer to the real thing and hey there were actual penalties being called regularly! wow what a concept! I have some random thoughts...

-Anyone else feel like the ice isn't big enough? They want to bring this game up to speed with realism, make the ice feel proportionate to the real thing.

-The hitting has also gotten progressively WORSE since 10.. in 10, if you lined up a guy properly you could send him flying.. in 13, no need. just bump him lightly and he'll hit the ice.

-There was a better tradeoff in 10. When you spammed poke check or stick lift too much, you risked getting high sticking or tripping penalties. Not this time around.. Hopefully they can fix it.

And the goalies - probably the worst thing about this game as mentioned in the article. Just plain unrealistic in the way they move, the way they can go post to post in a completely unrealistic way.. EA really needs to make this part of the game as realistic as possible IMO even before the hitting.

I have to commend them at least for getting the skating down pat. Great job by them but the rest of the game needs the same amount of attention to really bring this game to life.
Old 09-24-2012, 03:06 PM   #18
Rookie

OVR: 2
Good write up Jayson, while the skating tune up is a good bullet point for this years version of NHL , not addressing other legacy issues with this years title only will ensure that without any competition the hockey series is and will suffer the same fate as Madden. Good thing they'll always be customers that need to justify their yearly investment in the only game on the market and are willing to overlook such issues.
Old 09-24-2012, 04:10 PM   #19
MVP

canucksss's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: NHL 13: Grading the Realism

nice write up. but i have to disagree with your overall rating for NHL 13. it does not deserve a B-, imho. its C- for me. it could have been a B+ or even A- if the penalty issue is non-existence. to be in higher rating, goalie fatigue must be included and netplay and boardplay must be at least improved.
Old 09-25-2012, 01:14 AM   #20
Rookie

xcanadaman9x's Arena

OVR: 2
Would it be more realistic if you didn't play it until the lockout ends?
Old 09-28-2012, 12:38 PM   #21
Pro

statnut's Arena

OVR: 12

When an AHL goalie shuts down Havlat, Nugent-Hopkins, Callahan, Fleishman, Gomez, Hagelin, etc, stopping 31 shots through three periods and OT, something is wrong. And these were a variety of shots, rebounds, slap shots from the point, wrist shots, backhanders, one-timers, etc.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-28-2012, 05:08 PM   #22
Against The Crowd!

Eddie1967's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoie2006
In NHL's defense, it much easier to replicate the sport of baseball than it is hockey, which is probably the most difficult.

Come on man, that is a weak excuse. Yes it may be hard but they are in the business of replicating the sport and how many years has it been now? If that's the excuse then they may as well quit. Yes the game has improved over the years and I realize it may never be perfect but when it comes to realism the game should be much farther ahead then it is right now.

Last edited by Eddie1967; 09-28-2012 at 05:11 PM.
Old 09-28-2012, 07:04 PM   #23
Banned

Minus 80's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie1967
Come on man, that is a weak excuse. Yes it may be hard but they are in the business of replicating the sport and how many years has it been now? If that's the excuse then they may as well quit. Yes the game has improved over the years and I realize it may never be perfect but when it comes to realism the game should be much farther ahead then it is right now.
This would make more sense if there was ever a hockey game more realistic than this version. You say they should be farther, which is sweet, really, but it's not realistic.
Old 09-29-2012, 08:00 AM   #24
Rookie

OVR: 6
Yeah, the big hits are ridiculous, mostly because they happen every shift. And the lack of board play is a huge missing piece compared to real hockey. It probably wouldn't be that much fun to play, but for those looking for a realistic match, it's important.
I hate the fighting engine...I don't really care, but 2004 had the best fighting, IMO.
Also the glass breaks way too often, why even have this in? It rarely happens. And last year when they were hyping Goalie Fights...and I think there was only one goalie fight in the real NHL that season.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »