Home

Madden NFL 13 Review (PS3/360)

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 13 Review (PS3/360) within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 09-19-2012, 01:45 PM   #281
MVP

StormJH1's Arena

OVR: 13
Wow. I'm only a week or two into owning this game, but I'm so conflicted on it. The onslaught of positive reviews (almost universally 8.0 or higher) really makes you wonder about the legitimacy of the review industry. This one sports title is such a cash cow for EA, that you'd have to imagine there'd be pressure against being one of the few publications to absolutely trash it. It's one thing to thing to give NHL 2k10 a 6.7, or trash any of the other less popular games, but this is MADDEN.

Even if the reviewers are being honest, I feel like Madden sways them with the shiny new features that we see year to year, except they never seem to realize that most of these features (vision cone, weapons, etc.) are either completely scrapped or completely superseded a year later. I do have to give Madden 13 serious credit for reworking the career mode. There are definite touches of NBA 2k's franchise mode in there.

But the animations in the actual game play can be jarringly bad. Seriously, after coming off two straight months of loving NCAA 13 to death, it's alarming how bad parts of this game are. The passing A.I. is NOT noticeably improved, even if the ball trajectory and precision passing are. Seriously, how many different times have we heard that "gang tackling", "precision passing" and "proper DB/WR interaction" are now in the game? Every year, I hear reviewers and commenters talking about how toned down super-LB's are, but it's still there!

The collision system broke the running game, IMO. When I have Adrian Peterson running full speed into a linebacker, and he just crumples into a heap, I'm sorry, but that' feels like Backbreaker to me. I'm going to keep playing to see if I can "get used" to some of the horrible animations that pull you out of an immersive experience, but I have doubts.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-19-2012, 04:34 PM   #282
Banned

OVR: 10
Re: Madden NFL 13 Review (PS3/360)

Madden13 sales have dropped drastically since launch. Last year at this time, Madden12 for both the PS3 and Xbox360 had over 2.05 million unit sold. Right now Madden13 has less than a million unit sold on each system. I think this is a turning point for the Madden series. The consumers are letting EA know that the casual, arcade style of football isn't working anymore. Cam weber and these developers need too take notice and these Gamechangers need too as well. Football fundamentals are essential. Meaning: double-team pass blocking, all the NFL penalties and that they work properly, Real broadcast TV style and a nice halftime show, Replay system that looks and feels like the NFL, CB/WR interactions, OL/DL interactions...the list can go on and on. We want a NFL title that represent the NFL and not EA football that they think is the NFL. The real story will hit after christmas, but with NBA2k13 weeks away and other titles around the corner, I think Madden13 will sell less than Madden12. Will see. Check VGCharts for sales estimates.
Old 09-19-2012, 04:47 PM   #283
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34
Re: Madden NFL 13 Review (PS3/360)

Quote:
Originally Posted by adfletch71
Madden13 sales have dropped drastically since launch. Last year at this time, Madden12 for both the PS3 and Xbox360 had over 2.05 million unit sold. Right now Madden13 has less than a million unit sold on each system. I think this is a turning point for the Madden series. The consumers are letting EA know that the casual, arcade style of football isn't working anymore. Cam weber and these developers need too take notice and these Gamechangers need too as well. Football fundamentals are essential. Meaning: double-team pass blocking, all the NFL penalties and that they work properly, Real broadcast TV style and a nice halftime show, Replay system that looks and feels like the NFL, CB/WR interactions, OL/DL interactions...the list can go on and on. We want a NFL title that represent the NFL and not EA football that they think is the NFL. The real story will hit after christmas, but with NBA2k13 weeks away and other titles around the corner, I think Madden13 will sell less than Madden12. Will see. Check VGCharts for sales estimates.
Ad,

I checked for just the 360 and PS3 numbers only.

W/E 9/10/2011- 1.572, 897 units sold
W/E/9/8/ 2012- 1.659, 696 units sold.

This does not include Nintendo hardware or any other mini-hardware, plus, they might get a push from the new WII coming out.
Old 09-22-2012, 01:31 AM   #284
Rookie

OVR: 1
I just got done writing a 14,570 word Madden NFL 13. It frustrates me to see short reviews that don't cover all the stuff. I went into as much detail as I could and broke everything up into sections that you can skip if you have no interest in reading about that part. I hope you guys check it out and let me know what you think. The biggest reason I wrote it is because hopefully it opens some eyes and in the end gives us a better product because I think that is what all the NFL fans who enjoy gaming want.

http://www.ripten.com/2012/09/21/ripten-mega-review-madden-nfl-13/
Old 09-22-2012, 04:08 PM   #285
Banned

OVR: 0
Spot on with the Review! The elements that were not added back in are an annoyance but none the less it is still an excellent borderline great game! CCM is the present and the future of sports gaming.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-21-2012, 08:01 PM   #286
Rookie

OVR: 0
This game is a 7 at best no defense and people online can do the same plays over and over again and the defense doesn't catch on I mean cmon man

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »