Home

NBA 2K13: How Signature Skills Have Changed the Game

This is a discussion on NBA 2K13: How Signature Skills Have Changed the Game within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 09-11-2012, 02:23 PM   #9
MVP

OVR: 9
Re: NBA 2K13: How Signature Skills Have Changed the Game

Great write-up hopefully what you've said will be realized in gameplay and we simheads will have a great year with this very very good pre-looking nba 2k13.
Old 09-11-2012, 02:28 PM   #10
Banned

Can I live's Arena

OVR: 0

I'm excited about this more than anything (besides the OA)

I just hope it works like we think it is gonna work, like while playing I want to clearly see that these skills really separate players like they should.

When I guard someone while using a player with the lockdown defender skill say Tony Allen throughout a game it should be different from using kyle korver to guard someone

They should do a Insight video on these skills showing you examples of them during actual gameplay that would be nice
maybe showing reggie evans scrapping (scrapper) for rebounds or Chalmers stripping someones shot (active hands) or even showing lou williams hitting about 5 shots in a row (microwave)

but I think there gonna work out how we expect them too, I'm too excited
Old 09-11-2012, 02:29 PM   #11
MVP

Gramps91's Arena

OVR: 22
Signiture skills sound really cool. I remember the feature in Live 2006 something like this that was really cool, although not nearly as ind depth. Really looking forward to testing all these out and see hou different players with different abilities paly out.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-11-2012, 02:30 PM   #12
Rookie

OVR: 4

Very glad to see how signature skills were implemented. Seems that all the "real life true to Earth sim heads" who were preaching about how these are arcade-like and not true to life have vanished.
Old 09-11-2012, 02:33 PM   #13
Banned

Profit89's Arena

OVR: 8
Signature Skills are key to sports gaming. Absolutely vital IMO. Adds to individuality. Konami has been doing it for years with Pro Evolution series and their baseball title MLB Power Pros.

The more individuality the better. Key to sports gaming.
Old 09-11-2012, 02:44 PM   #14
Banned

OVR: 10
Taking the page from All Pro, nice job. Now make us another football game with those elements!
sorry, I want my football back.
Old 09-11-2012, 02:48 PM   #15
MVP

OVR: 12

Quote:
Proverbially “cutting off the head of the dragon” might be necessary when facing the Clippers or Celtics and developing a strategy to take a Paul or a Rondo out of the game could be the best path to victory.
That would be great to do, but how would one go about doing that with 2K12's feeble attempt at replicating "Deny Ball"? You can't actually put a body on an offensive player and put an arm to deny the ball. All you can do is spread out your arms, and it means nothing because the offensive player can easily receive any pass. In 2K11, it was better, because if you actually passed the ball to a guarded player, the defender would nick the ball away, especially in the post. 2K10 was EVEN better at replicating this, I remember offensive players would have to make an an aggressive bump to create space to receive the pass safely with one hand or two. Why has the "Deny Ball" function gotten worse after every iteration?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-11-2012, 03:07 PM   #16
Rookie

OVR: 1
It was inevitable that they would eventually add Signature skills to NBA 2k, other sports games (like winning eleven and skill cards) have been doing it for a while, and usually it is really subtle (not some crazy superhuman boost), and it has worked fine, so from what i've seen, it won't hurt the game at all

When you look at sig skills, what they really are is intangibles, as opposed to normal attributes which just reflect skills, in and of itself. Any player, even those with lower ratings, will still have sig skills. Like Reggie Evans will probably have the scrapper skill, and Jared Jeffries will prob have the charge card skill. This gives such a player more value.

To me, this makes the game more like a chess match, forcing you to look at the players of the other team and to make tweaks to your game plan accordingly. It makes strategy more important.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »