Home

NBA 2K13: How Signature Skills Have Changed the Game

This is a discussion on NBA 2K13: How Signature Skills Have Changed the Game within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 09-11-2012, 01:55 PM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
NBA 2K13: How Signature Skills Have Changed the Game

Recently the guys at 2K revealed all 31 Signature Skills found in NBA 2K13 and their descriptions. There were some who were pessimistic about how these skills would affect gameplay, but after having learned the details, I for one am even more excited about their inclusion in 2K13 than I was prior.

The Signature Skills concept has been done before in other sports games such as All-Pro Football 2K8, but the idea lends itself so seamlessly to the basketball genre that it can be a huge evolutionary step in how we play basketball games going forward.

Read More - NBA 2K13: How Signature Skills Have Changed the Game
Platform: PC / PS3 / Xbox 360
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-11-2012, 02:03 PM   #2
MVP

d11king's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: NBA 2K13: How Signature Skills Have Changed the Game

Signature skills will be nice addition. Offline, stars will play like stars, and players will play like themselves i.e. Nick Collison screens, Reggie Evans hustle.

Online people will think just because they have the sig skill, it will automatically be activated, so we might see players forcing the issue, (fine by me, I got that 2002 Ron Artest Defensive Player of the Year defense) without them knowing how the sig skill is truly activated, this causing gamers to possibly play smarter.

When gaurding KD, I might double in the 4th more often, when facing Rondo, I may dribble up the court with my SG, when attacking the rim on the Lakers I will pump fake more, I will make sure Kawai Leonard doesn't find his way to the corner 3 and I will NEVERRRRR leave Ray Allen open. Sig skills are GREAT.

I know one thing though, Oct. 2 - Oct. 6 I will be mastering isomation in the gym and if I ever get anyone with the ankle breaker sig skill, whoevers gaurding me better not have Stephen Curry feet. (That goes for the team-uppers as well)

Last edited by d11king; 09-11-2012 at 02:08 PM.
Old 09-11-2012, 02:06 PM   #3
Vni
Hall Of Fame

Vni's Arena

OVR: 23

Got me hyped, well put.
Old 09-11-2012, 02:08 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 2
That actually is a great assessment and out look on how important each player can be.
Old 09-11-2012, 02:11 PM   #5
MVP

Caveman24's Arena

OVR: 25
i agree with everything im glad you can play more of a chess style with the sig skills like making this guy check this guy and vise versa
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-11-2012, 02:12 PM   #6
MVP

BezO's Arena

OVR: 20

Definitely! I was ecstatic to hear about sig skills when they were 1st announced. The basic ratings just weren't cutting it.

I can't wait to play this game. It's been a looooong time since I've counted down to a video game release.
Old 09-11-2012, 02:12 PM   #7
Almighty 2k Paper Champ

richmo's Arena

OVR: 15

Great write-up, Steve. Easily my favorite addition to the game this year. This is so big because it's a feature that will officially become a staple for the 2k franchise for years to come, no doubt. And great point about the Online Association/Franchise drafts. Choosing less "videogame-friendly" players has more incentive more this year than it's ever had.
Old 09-11-2012, 02:22 PM   #8
MVP

youALREADYknow's Arena

OVR: 28

A large portion of the Signature Skills could have been implemented in other ways through existing means, but there are quite a few that are welcome additions in my eyes. Overall it's a plus for the game and therefore I'll save the debate for implementation and other ways to achieve the same result for another day.

As a primarily offline gamer, the ability to edit them means that we have another tool in the toolbox to try to mimic what we see on the NBA court. Hopefully the tiered Skill levels as displayed in MyPlayer are available to all players.

The concept that these "change the game" is a bit over the top though. The new animations behind some of these Skills will change the game. The impact of the Skills themselves shouldn't be that obvious and in-your-face because that would mean they are overdone and that would be unwelcomed by many.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »