Home

Lords of Baseball: Board Game Baseball GM Simulator

This is a discussion on Lords of Baseball: Board Game Baseball GM Simulator within the Other Baseball Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 08-29-2012, 11:46 AM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
Lords of Baseball: Board Game Baseball GM Simulator

Last summer, I found out that the World Boardgaming Championships were held about 15 minutes from my house. Intrigued, I stopped in to see what exactly drew 1500 people to this week long convention.

I found out that this boardgaming community is not unlike our own video gaming group. In particular, there is a small but passionate group of sports gamers. These (mostly) guys engage in games that replicate the intricacies of baseball, football, NCAA basketball, and racing. Truly, the only major difference is the medium in which the games are delivered. We push buttons; they roll dice.

One of the games demoed at the convention this year is called “Lords of Baseball,” a GM simulator that replicates the same things many of us love about Out of the Park or MLB: The Show’s franchise mode. I got to ask the developer, Max Jamelli, a few questions about the game, since I felt it would appeal to a large segment of users.

Read More - Lords of Baseball: Board Game Baseball GM Simulator
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-29-2012, 12:06 PM   #2
YNWA

ImTellinTim's Arena

OVR: 32
The baseball nerd in me just giggled with joy. What is the optimal number of players for this game? Does only having two people take away from the game, or are outcomes not affected by number of players?

I checked on the site, and I see that pre-order is not available yet. Please update us when it is. I'm sure that some OS members will be glad to help get them up to the 500 required for production.

Last edited by ImTellinTim; 08-29-2012 at 12:17 PM.
Old 08-29-2012, 07:36 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 0
This is so so cool
Old 08-29-2012, 07:37 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 8
Strat-O-Matic is king of all baseball games
Old 08-29-2012, 08:11 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 1
This does look really neat. I'd surely give it a try. I've been looking for something like this forever. None of my friends are into sports, so i've never had a chance to play things like Strat-O-Matic.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-29-2012, 08:15 PM   #6
Rookie

man_u_treble's Arena

OVR: 2
APBA is WAY better than Strat!
Old 08-29-2012, 08:35 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 1
As a life-long Sports Boardgamer, It's great to see new ideas still happening. And I'm extremely interested in the GMT line coming soon. FYI; GMT is probably the King of War Games now. Used to be Avalon Hill at one time. Of Curt Schiling fame. But looking at the game board, it reminds me of APBA, or early Statis-Pro Hockey.
Old 08-29-2012, 09:23 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 0
Lords of Baseball is certainly not Strat-o-Matic. It is not a game simulation as much as it is a season simulation and economic simulation. We've tested this game with people who don't like baseball, they still enjoy the game. We thought that was pretty strong praise.

We've found the best games have been with 4, although 2 and 3 work fine. It's also a game that depends on the style of gamers. Each game will be different based on the types of players you have.

I've never played APBA, so I can't tell if Lords of Baseball has any resemblance to it. I can just say you'll simulate 3-5 seasons of baseball (162 games per season) in about 2-3 hours depending on how many players you have and how many seasons you play.

Also, Jimbo - Curt Schilling was never associated with Avalon Hill (to my knowledge) other than AH producing his favorite game, Advanced Squad Leader. His venture into game publishing hasn't been a big hit unfortunately.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games »