Home

Madden NFL 13 Review (PS3/360)

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 13 Review (PS3/360) within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 08-28-2012, 09:19 AM   #129
Rookie

OVR: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
I think you need to take some of your own advice, though, don't you agree?

If you like the game, lucky you and just leave it at that.
Own advice? I'm paying $2 to rent. What u talking about road?
Old 08-28-2012, 09:33 AM   #130
Rookie

OVR: 3
To me the real test is Madden 14 and that's the one I'm waiting for. If they can bring back all the lost features and polish the ones they have now with reworked line play, then for once EA will deliver on a real plan for Madden instead of continuing to wander in the desert of half-baked gimmicks.

So this 8.5 will hopefully be well deserved next year.
Old 08-28-2012, 09:58 AM   #131
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34
Re: Madden NFL 13 Review (PS3/360)

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Verite
Own advice? I'm paying $2 to rent. What u talking about road?
My point was, anyone can spend their own money however they want.

Your quote, isn't it?

" If you're happy with the game then great - lucky you - but please don't dismiss others who aren't and categorise them as whiners or serial complainers. When a feature/gameplay mode that they've been using for the last x amount of years is removed it can be very frustrating."

Last edited by roadman; 08-28-2012 at 10:02 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-28-2012, 10:03 AM   #132
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
People were cheering last years rating of 7.5 on OS.

This year, it's an 8.5 and people are booing.

Eh whatever, I don't have the game yet, so, I won't be rating it, yet.
Roadman I agree.

Anyway 7.5 was spot on for Madden 12. And when OS rates Maddens on their number scale....I truly do not think they are rating it against other sports games. I feel they are rating against past Maddens. Because anyone who is hardcore about The Show (hand raised) knows that Madden is not in the same league at representing it's sport like The Show does for baseball.

Keep things in a reality perspective.

Madden is a fun game. Always has been for me.

I like the review. It was positive and pointed out a lot of the new features.

My game shipped today....I look forward to diving deep into it and giving a full review in the future.
NHL23 - Panthers YR1
Star Wars Outlaws

Follow me on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/armorandsword

Last edited by Armor and Sword; 08-28-2012 at 10:24 AM.
Old 08-28-2012, 10:05 AM   #133
Rookie

josef's Arena

OVR: 5
Nice review Mr. Toms. Nice to hear someone enjoying it for what it is.. a game. It's supposed to be fun, and it is for you. Can't wait to get my copy.
Old 08-28-2012, 10:14 AM   #134
MVP

DBMcGee3's Arena

OVR: 7
Crazy to see people so fired up over this game. I haven't picked up my retail copy yet, but I enjoyed the demo and to me the 8.5 seems reasonable, maybe an 8.0 would have been more accurate. The line play is definitely not perfect but I'm starting to think that maybe the whole "foot planting" thing just isn't something that this generation of consoles is capable of. I can't really think of any game in the sports genre (or really any genre) that actually nails that aspect 100% perfectly, or at least not without adding canned animations to make the transitions look smooth. In a football game, you're talking about 22 guys on the field, and pretty much every single one of them is engaged physically with another player for the length of each play. I'm no game programmer but that seems complicated. I mean that new 2k game looks fantastic so far, but I've already seen guys sliding around in the previews there as well.
Old 08-28-2012, 10:19 AM   #135
Rookie

mrdrew456's Arena

OVR: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamoanSteelerFromAus
I've only played the demo as the retail hasnt come out here yet but from what i've played I'd give it a 6.5
I think the stupidest mantra i've heard from EA is the " no two plays will ever look or feel the same"
Well i've seen many plays that are literally identical because there is still a surprisingly limited amount of animations EA use and i've seen dreaded ones i've always hated from previous maddens show up in this one more frequently than not - like that horrible wrap up waist tackle that takes seconds to get them to the ground.

Football begins in the trenches and the fact that we're 7 years on the new gen and it doesnt feel authentic is a joke.

Another big thing that I'm still yet to see mentioned is impact and momentum...I mean, when Im sprinting 40 yards down field on a kickoff and then collide into a blocker I feel absolutely nothing. There is no impact whatsoever unless it triggers a pancake animation. Cmon, how many times to people collide a full speed only to have the blocker gently put his arms on the gunner and they all of a sudden become motionless. I wanna see heads fly back, arms flail upwards from colliding and momentum carrying me towards the ball carrier based on the angle I collided with the blocker and my weight/power/speed. This should happen to blitzers smashing into lineman but instead you just get stopped gently and then have to animation your way out of the block. All Pro football 2k8 is the only game that captured leverage off the line, so much so that a nose tackle can travel 4, 5 yards whilst still engaged in a block and then sack the qb - brilliant.

This still just doesn't feel like football, it feels more like a chess game with football players as the pieces.
Madden does not capture the violence and impact of this game and I understand why people rate this high, most of the time it's because we don't have that outside reference point to grade it against because this is what EA has given us every year. I'm glad the engine has been upgraded but I think it will be a few more years until I think its worthy of a rating higher than 7.
Peace.
Very well put man. While a 6.5 may be a littlle harsh I agree with your assessment 150 percent
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-28-2012, 10:24 AM   #136
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrooklynBaller
The consensus from what I'm reading is that the retail version of the game isn't that much better, the changes aren't apparent and the options in CCM derail most of the fun. So I went from 50/50 to about 25/75... I'm still reading everyone's comments but damn so far it's not looking good for a football game this year.

I have seen you post on the impression board as well and to be honest reading the comments make's me realize one thing, I need to play the game for myself. I have played tons of games that people put down and piss on because of small things or even big things. NCAA 12 was bashed (and not even unreasonable bashing) but I played that game everyday for a year. I loved NCAA 12 but if I just read the comments I wouldn't have given the game a chance and like I said that negative comments about the game was warrented.

I would say rent it or play it at a friends house a judge for yourself because you have people that will play it just because it's Madden and you have people that bash it just because it's Madden. There have been some very good user reviews but at the end of the day it's up to you and what you like.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »