Home

Madden NFL 13 Review (PS3/360)

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 13 Review (PS3/360) within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 08-27-2012, 09:23 PM   #65
MVP

RGiles36's Arena

OVR: 34
Re: Madden NFL 13 Review (PS3/360)

Madden 13 is a mixed bag for me. On the surface, a 7.5-8 grade is about where the game would've fallen for me. They really put a lot into M13, and I still see the things that made me very high on the game a couple months back.

The problem is that I didn't anticipate so many steps back, and while I recognize those steps aren't a big deal for all, they cut right at the heart of my experience as an offline gamer:

AI play calling
Signature Animations (lack thereof)
Lack of Sim Injuries (CCM)
Injuries incurred in-game disappearing (CCM)
Auto Sub sliders not working
Camera work regressing to a degree

Those are relatively minor details on the surface, but they're the cornerstones of my immersion. If all of those were working as expected, I could jive with an 8.5 score. But as an offline gamer and understanding that a great number of OSers are also offliners, it's hard to go past a 7 (for me) until I know these things are addressed.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-27-2012, 09:26 PM   #66
MVP

OVR: 30
I can agree with the bottomline score and some of the aspects of the review. I'm not going to critique the review because it's HIS opinion and trying to breakdown a game thoroughly without going into every nook and cranny gotta be tough.

And I know ppl are crying bloody murder because of what's NOT in the game and the negative things that are in the game. For many of us, we're not out and out complaining about what's not there and the negatives because we are enjoying the positives far too much especially since many of us have been Madden heads at some point(s) of our lives and endured the journey to varying degrees. We're not overly focusing on negatives so those trying to pull us down to that level to join ur misery, ur welcome to keep trying but it's T-I-R-ED!!

Many of us have been there since day 1 (ME!) on the Genesis and have trudged through the ups and downs of the series but what exactly is wrong with someone actually praising the game for it's improvements and loving it for that instead of being some incessant children constantly whining about where the game has gone wrong and has not at least tried to improve. FACT is, whether u like it or not, Madden 13 IS an improved game and fun as hell for many of us. Just respect that. U don't like the game, oh well. Just don't try to tear down someone else's OPINION with your own OPINION as if it is law.

Oh, did I say I'm really lovin this game, again, FINALLY, after all these years? Got my lil list of needs and wants for next year already cookin, too.
Old 08-27-2012, 09:28 PM   #67
Moderator/Writer

PVarck31's Arena

OVR: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGiles36
Madden 13 is a mixed bag for me. On the surface, a 7.5-8 grade is about where the game would've fallen for me. They really put a lot into M13, and I still see the things that made me very high on the game a couple months back.

The problem is that I didn't anticipate so many steps back, and while I recognize those steps aren't a big deal for all, they cut right at the heart of my experience as an offline gamer:

AI play calling

Those are relatively minor details on the surface, but they're the cornerstones of my immersion. If all of those were working as expected, I could jive with an 8.5 score. But as an offline gamer and understanding that a great number of OSers are also offliners, it's hard to go past a 7 (for me) until I know these things are addressed.
So this stuff was all working in the builds you played? If so, this stuff seems to happen every damn year.
Old 08-27-2012, 09:33 PM   #68
Banned

OVR: 25
Fair review. I still stand by my 7.5 just for the annoying issues/ missing features and other stuff I've mentioned.

No games perfect... But who knows after a month or so, patches etc...
Old 08-27-2012, 09:35 PM   #69
Banned

OVR: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelman990
Ya who needs a properly working offensive and defensive line? Who needs running animations that don't ice skate around and float? Who needs NBA 2k like presentation when we can have no haltime or post game show(and nobody has a right to care how the game looks or sounds now, right?)?Who cares about the loss of generation old features(custom cam, custom stadium music, custom celebration, working penalties, custom player editing, and more)? Who cares about all the glitches popping up?

Really guys, I just don't see why you are nit picking this game. It's clear this game is superior to NBA 2k basketball who has killed the competition by being so great, and the show who has done the same on PS3.

BlackRome.....are you being real here man? Put aside love/hate feelings of EA. You really believe what you just said?
You could very well say the same thing with other games out there. "Who needs online play that works"... "Who needs a career mode that isn't fundamentally unplayable"... Who needs player interaction, we have an impenetrable force field around our players while you get sucked into an animation, and the defender magically slides in front of you preventing you from moving". Those are all MAJOR issues from games some folks consider "Elite Sports Games".

With Madden you can say... "No halftime show..." "Line play isn't correct"... "No chain gang"... "I can't edit my players"

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2
Old 08-27-2012, 09:35 PM   #70
Rangers Lead The Way!!!!

ABR173rd's Arena

OVR: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdavis82
No, but they can fix a late game AI situation. Remember guys this is just year one of Cam's 3 year plan, this is only the beginning and is the foundation for the future.
Please this game hasn't officially been released yet and we're bringing out the ole "three year vision" excuse. I can't agree with the difficulty of Madden as I found it much easier to pick up than previous Maddens. The ballhawks feature is cool, but could potentially end in to many CPU turnovers. CPU play calling needs to be tuned to be scheme specific and based on the situation. I agree this is a good foundation, but there is definettly issue's on CPU play calling logic and on the CCM side that need to be patched right out of the box. There are also a couple threads made regarding the lack of team specific chants and player celebrations, so I'm not sure which build of M13 the reviewer was playing.

I want to reserve judgement on M13 until after we see the support EA is willing to put behind this years installation.
Old 08-27-2012, 09:37 PM   #71
MVP

jmurphy31's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:

AI play calling

Rgiles. Do you think EA is giving up or at least putting them on the back burner, the offline gamer and really focusing on 32 team online franchises. It seems most of the bugs are affecting the offline people this year.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-27-2012, 09:38 PM   #72
Hail To The Redskins!

cjallure24's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:

I
AI play calling

Couldn't agree more. I've been playing M13 since Friday via early access , and I just can't see making a first day purchase. Madden 12 franchise mode was an un pleasing experience unless you edited the coaching schemes, as well as the UFA, striping us the option to customize ccm to our liking doesn't sit well with me. I may pick it up down the line when the price drops, but that's a big if, especially if 2K13 lives up to its hype.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »