Home

Pro Yakyuu Spirits 2012: Is the Japanese Baseball Sim Right for You?

This is a discussion on Pro Yakyuu Spirits 2012: Is the Japanese Baseball Sim Right for You? within the Other Baseball Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 07-05-2012, 02:23 PM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
Pro Yakyuu Spirits 2012: Is the Japanese Baseball Sim Right for You?

Before delving into Pro Yakyuu Spirits 2012, I’m going to refer you to my impressions of the 2011 version of this annual Japanese baseball franchise.This article details the basics of gameplay, most of which hasn’t changed drastically since last year. Pro Yakyuu Spirits 2012 still represents a stellar baseball game, with tremendous graphics, atmosphere and ball physics.

However, most of the changes offered will probably be of little consequence to casual followers of the series (a group I firmly lump myself into). The graphics look a little better, especially cut-scenes and crowd shots. The ball physics are surprisingly more fluid.

I also find the default settings to present a bit more of a challenge, though I’m still able hack and make contact with ease (that’s not to say I get hits easily). And, apparently, there is a new announcer.

Outside of these changes, most will find a similar experience as last year. Rather than rehashing what makes this game so good -- again -- check the aforementioned article, or this review at Spirits Translations. I’ll break down whether this game might be for you .

Read More - Pro Yakyuu Spirits 2012: Is the Japanese Baseball Sim Right for You?
Platform: PS3
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-05-2012, 04:20 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 11
Ya know back before the show was the show I so wanted this game
Old 07-05-2012, 04:36 PM   #3
Banned

OVR: 18
Re: Pro Yakyuu Spirits 2012: Is the Japanese Baseball Sim Right for You?

Quote:
Originally Posted by malky
Ya know back before the show was the show I so wanted this game
Until The Show adopts the hitting pitching and fielding interfaces of PYS it will always remain a distant second. The only people who prefer The Show over Pro Yakyu are those that haven't given the game a chance. IMHO of course.
Old 07-05-2012, 04:45 PM   #4
Banned

OVR: 18

RE: the write up. I'm an old man don't understand a single word of Japanese. I spent a few weeks familiarizing myself with the menus by reading Spirits website. I currently own all the games Konami made for the PS3 and have no problem navigating through all the menus or playing the game. Aside from some improved animations for some players and some player model upgrades it is virtually the same game they've made for the past 5 years. No one should have any problem whatsoever picking this up and playing it. You can get any game besides 2012 for about $30 used on eBay. Once you play PYS you can't play any other BB video game. Hands down it is better in every category save the number of teams and stadia.
Old 07-05-2012, 05:43 PM   #5
Rookie

giantsharks's Arena

OVR: 3
best baseball game hands down. The hitting is the most amazing part of pys, hopefully when mvp baseball makes a return they adopt the pys hitting, or maybe konami should just make an mlb game
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-05-2012, 05:52 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 5
I've been playing PYS since the 2010 version, and I think 2012 is the most polished and version so far, both in gameplay and graphics. By no means is it a huge jump from last year's game, but if you're thinking about trying this series out for the first time, you can't go wrong with 2012.

In the past I've been an outspoken supporter of the Pro Yakyuu Spirits game on this site -- maybe a little too outspoken at times. In my opinion, I also think it stands far above The Show in terms of gameplay, but it's not for everyone. If you are a die-hard fan of The Show, and love everything about the way that game plays, PYS may not win you over. But as someone who once believed that The Show was the pinnacle of baseball videogames, since I started playing PYS, I've never looked at The Show the same way again. And this is coming from someone who knew absolutely nothing about pro Japanese baseball. If anything, PYS has given me a new found interest in, and appreciation for the NPB.

I'll also say that while there is a bit of a hurdle you need to get over in terms of the language barrier, www.spiritstranslation.com is an amazing resource for getting you over that hurdle. It doesn't take long at all to familiarize yourself with all of the menus and settings, and before you know it, you'll hardly ever feel the need to go back and reference the site for translations.

I would recommend this series to anyone who is a fan of baseball. It is an absolute blast to play. It is challenging, yet deeply rewarding, and every game you play feels different and unpredictable.
Old 07-05-2012, 05:59 PM   #7
[Player 1]

thaSLAB's Arena

OVR: 30
I haven't played 2012 unfortunately, but I do own PYS 5 [Kanzenban], PYS 6, 2010 and 2011 - so I guess I could fit into the "diehard" category. I just haven't had the free time I used to, so that is the main reason I didn't import 2012. Plus, I figured the upgrades were minimal enough to skip a year, and grab 2013, hopefully with the WBC like PYS 6 had.

I have always enjoyed the hitting and baserunning in this game. The bat on ball physics are top-notch too. I would definitely recommend the series to any baseball fan/gamer. IMO, 2010 gave me the most enjoyment for some reason, going all the way back to PYS 3. Although I still prefer The Show series overall, PYS is definitely a great game and change of pace for a diehard hardball fan. I think it presents Nippon League baseball just as well/accurately as MLBTS does with MLB.

Funny thing is, one of my friends sent me a message today, asking me about PYS - then I log on to OS and see this article. Talk about coincidence... at least, I don't think he's a member of OS.
Old 07-05-2012, 06:22 PM   #8
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 38

If only there was a Xbox 360 version of Pro Spirits.

Bobblehead Pros is good, but not nearly as in depth.

Konami definitely makes the best baseball games, though.

I guess because the PS3 is the system of choice in Japan, Pro Spirits remains exclusive to Sony systems.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games »