Home

Madden NFL 13 Infinity Engine Hands-On Preview

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 13 Infinity Engine Hands-On Preview within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 06-05-2012, 07:56 PM   #49
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Madden NFL 13 Infinity Engine Hands-On Preview

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt10
Much like FIFA, EA creates a great engine that is developed around contact (heavily) and collisions - and then forget to implement fouls (soccer and football fouls) as a result.

Would it be so hard to tweak this one little thing - that should make a HUGE difference as far as realism is concerned.
Ever watched kids play Pee-wee football? That gives you a good indication of exactly how hard it is to make something with good physics (ie. - REALITY) LOOK good playing football - or applying the rules and strategy of the game to inanimate objects (in the case of the on-screen players).

The difference is like the difference between making a great looking, set-piece adventure game and making a so-so looking but immensely deep RPG. Games like Uncharted and God of War 3 and the like have a HUGE advantage of being able to limit reality to fit into a pre-conceived box. The games LOOK great, but they are limited by what the programmers want the player to be able to do. Then look at a game like Dragon Age or GTAIV - open world, huge amounts of freedom and options and possibilities, but the price paid is that the graphics suffer in comparison to the "state of the art" stuff like Crysis 2 or Battlefield 3.

The challenge for EA has always been how do they adapt their game - which IMO has been the best LOOKING football game ever made for quite some time now - and turn it into BOTH the best LOOKING and the best PLAYING game? Infinity Engine sure does look like a giant leap in the right direction to me. The plays that really stand out for me so far are the vastly improved running - being able to trip and bump and deflect off of other players is HUGE - and the ability to have little guys hang-on to the ball carrier (the Turner example in the debut trailer....where the CB does not just bang down Michael Turner but instead is holding onto one leg for dear life until another defender comes in and cleans up the tackle).

This IS the Madden I have been waiting for...it may be 7 years late, and it may still sorely disappoint, but THIS is the direction I expected the franchise to move going from PS2 to XB360/PS3 all along. More than anything else, I am relieved to see that the developers share a vision of making the game do things that I feel are important....things like respecting angular momentum, mass and acceleration when determining the outcome of a collision; things that are going to make the unrealistic gameplay styles go extinct - the guys who love to hit stick EVERY tackle, the guys who love to run their Safeties around in circles and morph through the O-Line for nano pressure, the guys who have no idea how to read blocking or hit a hole or actually call plays for match-ups and strategy beyond triggering canned and predictable outcomes...those "styles" may still find exploits (probably will), but they will no longer be able to dominate and exploit the game as easily (if at all in some cases), and THAT alone is worth $120 from me to EA (for PS3 and XB360 versions once more)...

Bravo to the guys at EA that are working to FINALLY bring us the "next-gen Madden" experience that I was hoping for all along. Its late. Its been incredibly frustrating to live through. And it barely made it out before the end of the console generation...BUT its finally here and the foundation that is laid here has put the abortion of Madden NFL 2006 finally in its grave forever. (I STILL believe that Madden 2006 - 2009 were essentially ruined by the rush job of getting a game released for the launch of the XB360 at any cost...that cost has been very long and very high, but with this new beginning and new engine to govern the basics of the the players and gameplay, there is hope for more than band-aids on gaping wounds moving forward!!!
Old 06-05-2012, 08:21 PM   #50
Rookie

I will say that based on the Madden 2006 (non) experience, I would be willing to forego Madden 14 on Xbox 720 (assuming it comes out next Nov). Instead, just release it for 360/PS3 next year rather than a rushed piece of garbage. Ideally Xbox 720 would be backwards compatible and I could play the game on 720, but if the cost of having Madden 14 on the brand new console is that it will suck for 6 years, I'll live with one more year of highly polished RTP on current gen.

- OR -

Here's another thought: I wouldn't complain if they just made a build of the current version for the 720/PS4 that played at 1080p, maybe throw in something like a bit higher res player models and full, interactive sideline or something to make me shell out for 360 version in August and 720 version in November. And then, don't pretend its something that its not - just tell us: "this is a 720 compatible version of the 360 game with higher res player models, interactive sidelines and a slightly upgraded physics engine that runs on the new 720 dedicated Physics Processor". Anyway. . . just my $0.02.

Meanwhile, back here in the real world, having a hard time sleeping at night thinking about RTP and all the possibilities. Might cancel my NCAA pre-order since no RTP and I just play it for a month until Madden comes out anyway.
Old 06-05-2012, 10:37 PM   #51
Rookie

OVR: 1
I absolutely cannot wait for this game now
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-05-2012, 10:46 PM   #52
Rookie

OVR: 3
no replay? that was a huge disappointment last year too...madden and ncaa will really have to knock my socks off for me to spend money on them this year...still feeling burned from last year and not sure i am ready to come back...give me a definitive reason to come back
Old 06-05-2012, 11:46 PM   #53
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt10
Much like FIFA, EA creates a great engine that is developed around contact (heavily) and collisions - and then forget to implement fouls (soccer and football fouls) as a result.

Would it be so hard to tweak this one little thing - that should make a HUGE difference as far as realism is concerned.
i cannot believe you said that fifa has not implemented FOULS! of all games, FIFA? u must be joking.
Old 06-06-2012, 02:49 AM   #54
Rookie

I thought the Infinity Engine was used by Black Isle RPG's?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infinity_Engine
Old 06-06-2012, 03:01 AM   #55
Rookie

Madden is defense optional and has been that way for too long. Where you able to play effective defense without gimmicks?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-06-2012, 07:27 AM   #56
Rookie

OVR: 3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwsF4q2i4LM

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »