Home

OS Roundtable: Our First Impressions of Madden's Features

This is a discussion on OS Roundtable: Our First Impressions of Madden's Features within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 05-08-2012, 05:35 PM   #25
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33
Re: OS Roundtable: Our First Impressions of Madden's Features

I am a little confused by this post. I completely agree that however locomotion or whatever for player movement is tuned, it should effect all players but what other way is there?

Not trying to be funny but the CPU controlled players in Madden 12 are restricted from making "cheesy" movements by the AI, not the tuning of player movement parameters like locomotion, imo.

I hope you get what I am saying and I am not coming across the wrong way. lol
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-08-2012, 05:48 PM   #26
Banned

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMhester04
I have to again reiterate to everyone that the player movement must be tuned for EVERY PLAYER ON THE FIELD. If they only tune the user and leave the cpu players alone we will be in even more trouble than we are in now.

To anticipate people saying that tuning all 21 other cpu players will give the user a significant advantage, this should be false if it is done correctly, because the play should be even since everyone is going off the same system. The CPU being able to react within .01 of a second to me moving to change direction and both of us being able to zig zag around is a double faulted/flawed system. We need to get this right.
Is this a serious post? Player movement should be able to be tuned generically. When players change direction whether it's done by a user using a stick or by the cpu, the same functional parameters restricting or enabling certain motions should be processed exactly the same. There is an animation engine in Madden which should regulate this. If they implemented it even 10% correectly they should be able to tune it to affect weight, momentum, etc. etc. This is one of those things that requires good programmers. If the tool doesn't have those things, then it's probably really hard for them to change the code to make the players move correctly.
Old 05-08-2012, 05:55 PM   #27
MVP

UMhester04's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazdevil20
Is this a serious post? Player movement should be able to be tuned generically. When players change direction whether it's done by a user using a stick or by the cpu, the same functional parameters restricting or enabling certain motions should be processed exactly the same. There is an animation engine in Madden which should regulate this. If they implemented it even 10% correectly they should be able to tune it to affect weight, momentum, etc. etc. This is one of those things that requires good programmers. If the tool doesn't have those things, then it's probably really hard for them to change the code to make the players move correctly.

Uhh...yeah it was serious? Im saying that it has to be done for all players on the field, I thought I made that clear. If it is not done this way, then it is not the right way and the game will still feel arcadish. Investments should be made to get a realistic movement engine such as fifa if the current engine cannot handle it. Period.
Old 05-08-2012, 05:57 PM   #28
Banned

StrawHat Patriot's Arena

OVR: 15

The simple problem with Madden is that they haven't grasped the simple concept of physics and intelligence(ai understanding of a situation, stuff like that, not IQ stuff) in their players.

You're telling me that the concept of CB's being able to know when a QB is throwing without looking at him was finally fixed NOW in the 2012?

Don't get me wrong, i'm happy EA is finally doing this, but the problem is how long. Player Movement is still an issue. Weird running animations are one, but other issues that people forget are how LB's can move at light speed to pick of a pass, even if they are athletic, or how a fast QB can get chased down by slow DT just because the QB is stepping back/running.

In short, EA needs to represent the actual, simple game of football realistically first, or they should have. I mean it's not hard, they are almost there. But they don't add enough. For every issue they fix/thing they add, another issue is created/thing is taken away or watered down.
Old 05-08-2012, 05:58 PM   #29
Banned

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMhester04
Uhh...yeah it was serious? Im saying that it has to be done for all players on the field, I thought I made that clear. If it is not done this way, then it is not the right way and the game will still feel arcadish. Investments should be made to get a realistic movement engine such as fifa if the current engine cannot handle it. Period.
Ok, I misunderstood your post. I thought you were inferring that they would have to do something different to tune each player individually. Yes, they need to make sure both cpu and user controlled players move the same way.
Old 05-08-2012, 06:05 PM   #30
MVP

UMhester04's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazdevil20
Ok, I misunderstood your post. I thought you were inferring that they would have to do something different to tune each player individually. Yes, they need to make sure both cpu and user controlled players move the same way.

Oh ok yeah I was sort of in a rush when i typed it and just read it over again and it is worded kind of weird. Also sorry for coming off as a prick, it was really more confusion than anything.

But yes I do understand that it has to be hard to program and stuff but this is something that is so essential and important to the game of football that it simply has to be done, doesnt matter how long it takes but it has to be done and done CORRECTLY!
Old 05-09-2012, 10:02 AM   #31
Banned

22cowboys22's Arena

OVR: 8
Its nice that they show the booth in the begining but are they at halftime in the booth breaking down halftime stats cause that would be awesome.and thats what happens in real life but knowing EA they didnt do that.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-09-2012, 10:11 AM   #32
Banned

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageInfinite
Funny thing is I think Madden 10 was on the right track with the running/movement. Don't know why that was scrapped.
Sometimes trying to fix one thing will break something else and that's just the way I look at it when it comes to how the older madden's had better running and movement.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »