Home

OS Roundtable: Our First Impressions of Madden's Features

This is a discussion on OS Roundtable: Our First Impressions of Madden's Features within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 05-07-2012, 01:44 PM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
OS Roundtable: Our First Impressions of Madden's Features

We recently asked our staff what they thought of the initial feature releases of Madden NFL 13. Read their impressions of the tweaked gameplay and presentation after the jump!

Read More - OS Roundtable: Our First Impressions of Madden's Features
Platform: Xbox 360 / PS3
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-07-2012, 02:16 PM   #2
Staff Writer

jmik58's Arena

OVR: 42
Good points and I'm glad that skepticism is winning out over fanfare at this point. My biggest concern is the implementation of what EA is calling "Read and React" defense. All I've hear about is that they've tweaked the DB's. However, "Read and React" is a concept that should be applied to ALL aspects of how the defense plays. Everyone on that side of the ball has keys to read and must attempt to react accordingly. Reads and reactions occur multiple times for defenders througout each play. EA hasn't addressed the concept other than eliminating psychic DBs. It feels and smells like a typical EA "over-hype". They give it the sweeping generalized name (Read and React Defensive AI) that makes you think it applies across the board, but in reality they may only be delivering on 10% of the true concept. This would be extremely disappointing to me. I feel there is little that could revolutionize the way we play football games other than correctly implementing Read and React Defensive AI across the board. If you make the defensive players "think" like they do in real life, you've got the closest thing to "real" that we've seen in football gaming.
Old 05-07-2012, 05:31 PM   #3
Banned

OVR: 8
I stopped reading when mention was made of the 'skating' (aka "no foot planting animations") in Madden 13. No thanks, same old, same old.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:16 PM   #4
All Star

jpdavis82's Arena

OVR: 21
Re: OS Roundtable: Our First Impressions of Madden's Features

Quote:
Originally Posted by thevaliantx
I stopped reading when mention was made of the 'skating' (aka "no foot planting animations") in Madden 13. No thanks, same old, same old.
Man I wish EA would fix that "Skating" issue so you guys would shut up. It's not the same old, same old just because they didn't take care of one thing. Such a childish way of looking at it. This team is well on their way to giving us the game of football we have always wanted and some people expect them to get all the way there in one year. It's never going to happen, I don't care if it's FIFA, 2k, The Show, you name it, no game is going to ever implement every feature you want in a year's time. Those games have been through years of development to get where they are and some would say nba2k went backwards this year after 2k11. Maybe EA hasn't done things the right way with Madden in the past but just grow up and get over it.

Last edited by jpdavis82; 05-07-2012 at 10:19 PM.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:44 PM   #5
Stop The GOAT Talk

SageInfinite's Arena

OVR: 40

Good read. In agreement with their thoughts.

SageInfinite Bandcamp
https://sageinfinite.bandcamp.com/album/interminable
https://soundcloud.com/sageinfinite
Hidden Language Video Feat. Grandmilly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf5nW4rGTFM

#makethemaddenforumgreatagain
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-07-2012, 10:46 PM   #6
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdavis82
Man I wish EA would fix that "Skating" issue so you guys would shut up. It's not the same old, same old just because they didn't take care of one thing. Such a childish way of looking at it. This team is well on their way to giving us the game of football we have always wanted and some people expect them to get all the way there in one year. It's never going to happen, I don't care if it's FIFA, 2k, The Show, you name it, no game is going to ever implement every feature you want in a year's time. Those games have been through years of development to get where they are and some would say nba2k went backwards this year after 2k11. Maybe EA hasn't done things the right way with Madden in the past but just grow up and get over it.
The good news is, since he's given up on the game already, we won't have to listen to him rehash the same crap over and over again.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:02 PM   #7
MVP

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdavis82

Sorry bro, but this is not a feature and its a key part of every sport known to man. With proper foot planting in madden, it would be a whole new ball game imo. This is nothing to shy from or "I cant wait til they fix it cuz im tired of hearing about it" type of issue. Many of the reasons madden is so disliked because it makes the game not feel authentic as you can stop and change directions on a dime even without stopping!

Good read tho!
Old 05-08-2012, 12:26 AM   #8
MVP

UMhester04's Arena

OVR: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke6
Sorry bro, but this is not a feature and its a key part of every sport known to man. With proper foot planting in madden, it would be a whole new ball game imo. This is nothing to shy from or "I cant wait til they fix it cuz im tired of hearing about it" type of issue. Many of the reasons madden is so disliked because it makes the game not feel authentic as you can stop and change directions on a dime even without stopping!

Good read tho!
Agreed. IMO if they change the running styles to make it so ALL the players have to plant their feet/shift momentum, I cannot explain how much better the game will play.

I do not understand how the most basic aspect of ANY SPORT, ESPECIALLY football (movement), is so mis represented. This should be the number one aspect of the game they should have worked on, as the game of football is all about angles, speed, momentum. It is mind boggling!!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »