Home

MLB 2K12 Demo Roundtable

This is a discussion on MLB 2K12 Demo Roundtable within the MLB 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 03-03-2012, 10:16 AM   #25
Rookie

OVR: 0
I don't think there is anything wrong making some critical comments about the demo. 2k has had 7 years of an exclusive license to put out a decent product. As a PS3 owner I have more than one choice and last year I my choice was 2k11. As far as making comparisons, what else are you going measure 2k12 against? As I said before, after playing the demo I am still undecided but I am leaning toward the Show. I hope that the retail version of 2k12 is better than the demo and I feel for 360 owners as you only have one choice.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-03-2012, 11:05 AM   #26
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41
Re: MLB 2K12 Demo Roundtable

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbnj06
For the people who have Playstation, why would you even consider buying 2k when you have The Show available. Pretty much us 360 users are stuck with 2k until someone else starts developing baseball games. Hopefully EA.
Because everyone has their own opinions about what makes a good baseball game. For me, I love the Show's little things it does right. It has a good atmosphere, has good graphics, the crowd is nice, and the game of baseball plays out pretty well, but I just can't play it for even a complete game most of the time. It's a great game and I see why it has a loving fan base, but it is not the game for me.

2l's baseball games have their problems. I hate how they don't even have mascots, ball boys, bat boys, etc. but when it comes to the two most important things to me, presentation and gameplay, I prefer 2k's over The Show's. Both games have their pros/cons and some people will always take The Shows, some will stay behind 2k, some will switch between them from time to time.

That's just how it is. The Show is a great game, I'll admit that, but I'll also admit for some reason I enjoy playing 2k's version of baseball better even though I hate how it's missing so many little things in the stadium that make the atmosphere so much better.

― Plato
Old 03-03-2012, 11:14 AM   #27
Rookie

OVR: 5
"LMAO, at anybody thinking the Show has better presentation. Some of you guys are as lost as they come. 2K clearly has better commentary and presentation than the Show and that is undisputed."

I don't understand why this matters if The Show blows every other baseball game ever made out of the water. I'll take gameplay over presentation any day. Commentary rarely gets on my nerves unless it's truly horrific. An upgrade to the presentation merely enhances an otherwise great baseball experience.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:20 AM   #28
Rookie

"When pitching, your pitch ratings fluctuate up and down depending on how effective you are throwing each one. At first, I loved the feature, as I made Neftali Feliz’s deadly two-seam fastball even more effective with a couple of early strikeouts. But then I induced a routine ground-out with a four-seam fastball and the game registered it as a double, cratering my four-seam rating. Hopefully those little glitches are ironed out before the full game releases."

"The demo does have a few nagging bugs, like being called out on a close play at first because my runner went into the "rounding the base" animation and a few other quirks that, as Bo said, will hopefully not be in the retail version."

This is exactly why I stopped playing the MLB 2K series, bought a PS3, and started enjoying baseball games again. It is littered with "nagging bugs" every year. Given their track record, I would expect that both of these bugs make it into the retail version. Those aren't minor things. They are maddeningly frustrating.

Any baseball franchise looking to take on The Show has a major uphill battle ahead of them. I am excited at the prospect of EA possibly getting an MVP Baseball franchise going, but it's going to be difficult. I loved the MVP franchise, but it has been surpassed by The Show.
Old 03-03-2012, 05:15 PM   #29
MVP

GisherJohn24's Arena

OVR: 4
This game will never be worth 60 bucks guys. We can only hope that MVP will be back one day.
Old 03-03-2012, 08:36 PM   #30
Banned

Plache's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: MLB 2K12 Demo Roundtable

This is my post about the 2k12 demo from the 2k board......thought I'd add it here and see if it spurred any conversation.......

Quote:
I've spent some time with the demo now and here are my thoughts:

Hitting is spot on, as it was after the update last year. LOVE the hitting.
Pitching is going to be more realistic, meaning HARDER, as even the best pitchers aren't going to be unhittable, online is going to be a blast for hitting/pitching.
Fielding is (again) the achilles heel again this season. The new(ish) meter is at the very least going to be a challenge as even the easiest plays can be turned end over end by a meter that touchy. The outfielders have even more of a hesitation when going after a fly ball, turning sure outs into doubles. We've already had the "wrong base" throw earlier in the thread, which would be a total buzz-kill if it's not fixed. The throwing meter issue is going to crop up when trying to make throws from the outfield also, but again I'm sure that we'll all adjust there.
I'm not in love with the way players trot up the first base line and seem to have a hiccup right before reaching the bag as if the ai is unsure on running straight through the bag or making a turn, I hope this will be fixed soon also in the final game.

In the end, and this is based on the demo only: nobody expected a complete revision of the series, especially in the final year of the exclusive contract. And I'm sure that there will be online glitches to moan about....but this seems like it will be an enjoyable experience and maybe it's not "The Show" but it seems like it will be fun to play, which is really the point of the whole thing. We'll find out soon enough...although I won't be able to get the game until Wed. or Thurs....ugh.
Old 03-03-2012, 10:40 PM   #31
Rookie

hard to get fired up for a game with no sound
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-04-2012, 12:30 AM   #32
MVP

sydrogerdavid's Arena

OVR: 27
The only thing this game has over the Show is Busch Stadium and downtown St. Louis.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K »