Home

Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 13 Announcement and First Feature Details

This is a discussion on Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 13 Announcement and First Feature Details within the Golf forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 01-27-2012, 03:07 PM   #81
Banned

OVR: 1
Re: Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 13 Announcement and First Feature Details

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zalf
Backspin is created by how you strike the ball, not where. Striking down on the ball is what creates the spin. Irl where you strike the ball ends up effecting distance and height more. That is one of the reasons flop shots hit with little to no back spin in spite of how low you hit the ball.
Okay, I see what you mean, good point.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-27-2012, 03:10 PM   #82
Banned

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seymour Scagnetti
and make it much more involving (playoffs please)
Playoffs?! Whadda ya think this game is supposed to be emulating -- the PGA Tour or something?
Old 01-27-2012, 03:18 PM   #83
Banned

OVR: 24

Some potentially good news from one of the devs who posted on the EA site regarding carnival pins after a bit of prodding from me in a thread as to why there has been no confirmation about pin improvement.

"I shall finally give you a response to this.....

Every pin location on every course in the game has been moved to a new location. Whether or not you deem any of these new locations "carnival pins" is a matter of opinion. I personally believe that the new locations are both fair and challenging. I'm not promising that there won't be a pin out there that you don't like. We still strive to provide a challenge with some of our harder settings. Just rest assured that there is no pin actually on a cliff (maybe sometimes a few feet from the edge of one, but not actually on the steep slope) and that proper putting areas were used for all locations."

Hopefully when he says a few feet he doesn't mean a few inches.

Now if I can somehow get him to comment on playoff holes then I can tick off another box from my wishlist.
Old 01-27-2012, 04:59 PM   #84
Pro

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seymour Scagnetti
Some potentially good news from one of the devs who posted on the EA site regarding carnival pins after a bit of prodding from me in a thread as to why there has been no confirmation about pin improvement.

"I shall finally give you a response to this.....

Every pin location on every course in the game has been moved to a new location. Whether or not you deem any of these new locations "carnival pins" is a matter of opinion. I personally believe that the new locations are both fair and challenging. I'm not promising that there won't be a pin out there that you don't like. We still strive to provide a challenge with some of our harder settings. Just rest assured that there is no pin actually on a cliff (maybe sometimes a few feet from the edge of one, but not actually on the steep slope) and that proper putting areas were used for all locations."

Hopefully when he says a few feet he doesn't mean a few inches.

Now if I can somehow get him to comment on playoff holes then I can tick off another box from my wishlist.
Potentially is correct. I almost prefer the ominous lack of comment to what sounds a lot like "I have no idea what exactly you are talking about but we moved all of the pins. I am assuming all includes the two or three pins you are referring to and won't create any more of what you are cryptically calling carnival pins out of the hundreds of pins that were fine where they were. But neither I nor anyone I know about checked for carnival pins or will even admit to knowing what they are despite all of the posts about them. If I knew or accidentily learn what they are, then they are obviously working as intended to make the game challenging. Now kindly stop looking at the man behind the curtain since I have given you the patented not-an-answer answer."

Before I was happily ignorant hoping that at minimum an explanation of what carnival pins were had made it to someone who could do something about it. Now I have to sit here banging my head against the wall. It is hard to "rest assured" with these kinds of answers.
Old 01-27-2012, 05:41 PM   #85
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zalf
Potentially is correct. I almost prefer the ominous lack of comment to what sounds a lot like "I have no idea what exactly you are talking about but we moved all of the pins. I am assuming all includes the two or three pins you are referring to and won't create any more of what you are cryptically calling carnival pins out of the hundreds of pins that were fine where they were. But neither I nor anyone I know about checked for carnival pins or will even admit to knowing what they are despite all of the posts about them. If I knew or accidentily learn what they are, then they are obviously working as intended to make the game challenging. Now kindly stop looking at the man behind the curtain since I have given you the patented not-an-answer answer."

Before I was happily ignorant hoping that at minimum an explanation of what carnival pins were had made it to someone who could do something about it. Now I have to sit here
banging my head against the wall. It is hard to "rest assured" with these kinds of answers.
I searched to find which dev gave that answer. I think I feel better now knowing that it was Handsward. He knows what carnival pins are and when they stop just being a matter of opinion. Coming from him the response is probably just some CYA so if some carnival pins end up showing up no one can nail him for promising they were fixed. Now I can just hope he was involved enough with this part of the game to have a good feel. Sounds like he was.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-27-2012, 07:33 PM   #86
Pro

OVR: 9

I watched the 2 videos that were up and didn't see anything ground breaking. I still see that you cant move your golfer on the tee box. HOW can they not program this in??? Is there a reason that they rarely show game play from the more difficult settings??

I agree with the comments on the chipping and putting especially. The long back swings and follow through are awful to look at. If you are going to make a golf game then you have to nail some little things down.

Have they mentioned anything about having to "qualify" to get into some tourneys?? So first year on the Tour I shouldn't just automatically qualify for the US Open or Masters unless I have met the requirements.
Old 01-27-2012, 07:49 PM   #87
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by orthostud23
I watched the 2 videos that were up and didn't see anything ground breaking. I still see that you cant move your golfer on the tee box. HOW can they not program this in??? Is there a reason that they rarely show game play from the more difficult settings??

I agree with the comments on the chipping and putting especially. The long back swings and follow through are awful to look at. If you are going to make a golf game then you have to nail some little things down.

Have they mentioned anything about having to "qualify" to get into some tourneys?? So first year on the Tour I shouldn't just automatically qualify for the US Open or Masters unless I have met the requirements.
You had to qualify in '12 for some tournaments. Mostly tied into rankings and the way '12 did it's tutorial via lower tours.

As far as the difficulty settings in the videos, the ones I have seen were done with heavy EA influence. They have to be somewhat careful; especially with this being the first year of kinect support; of bad/inexperienced players making the game look too hard or glitchy. Plus if the numbers that are given can be trusted, those of us that prefer the more difficult/sim levels are in the vast minority. So any non-EA directed videos might tend to be on lower difficulties because that is how most people play. I know most reviews seem to be based on the lower levels year after year.
Old 01-27-2012, 09:27 PM   #88
I'm Ron F'n Swanson!

fishepa's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by peigone
Guess I'm not understanding, in golf you get under and scoop the ball and it creates backspin. Placing the hit marker at the bottom of the ball is therefore correct.
No, that is not how backspin is created in real golf.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf »